New schools with provisional accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

How likely is it for a DO school to be fully accredited?
How much of a risk is it to attend a school that has provisional accreditation status?

If I am in the inaugural class of a school, it probably will not have full accreditation when I apply for residency. How will it affect my residency chance?

Another issue is with federal loans. Burrell, for example, is affiliated with a university, but I guess students who attend the school before it is accredited have to borrow private loans until the school graduates its first class?

Members don't see this ad.

With the exception of BCOM and LUCOM, and maybe Wm carey and VCOM SC or AL, all of the DO schools are fully accredited. Mine's Ok for something like 5-8 years, I forget which.

Accrediation status will not affect your residency chances. A new school is more challenging because thier grads are an unknown quantity. But four years into a med school's life, it will have (or should have) achieved a better accreditation status.

And yes, you don't have access to federal loans, but there are alternatives.

In the worst-case scenario that a school loses accreditation, its students are sent to other DO schools.

How likely is it for a DO school to be fully accredited?
How much of a risk is it to attend a school that has provisional accreditation status?

If I am in the inaugural class of a school, it probably will not have full accreditation when I apply for residency. How will it affect my residency chance?

Another issue is with federal loans. Burrell, for example, is affiliated with a university, but I guess students who attend the school before it is accredited have to borrow private loans until the school graduates its first class?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I know of any new DO school that hasn't went from provisional accreditation to full accreditation. Even RVU, a for profit school, is now accredited.

As for students loans, what Goro has stated is true with an exception. If the new school is tied to a university or a sister school (not sure if this is true across all schools) of the same name and has graduated a class, then you are eligible for federal student loans. MU-COM is an example of a new school that students can get federal loans for, because it is tied to Marian University which has been around for some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If the new school is tied to a university or a sister school (not sure if this is true across all schools) of the same name and has graduated a class, then you are eligible for federal student loans. MU-COM is an example of a new school that students can get federal loans for, because it is tied to Marian University which has been around for some time.
... which is weird because BCOM states on their website that they are part of a university but their secondary app states that they are not eligible for federal loans "at this time". Does anyone know when they will be?

... which is weird because BCOM states on their website that they are part of a university but their secondary app states that they are not eligible for federal loans "at this time". Does anyone know when they will be?
with your stat, I don't think you have to settle for new school at all. You can go to an old/established school easily (KCUMB comes to mind)

You're right, that is strange. Not sure what the difference is in this case.

boom is not a part of nmsu. they have some kind of a partnership due to shared interests.

With the exception of BCOM and LUCOM, and maybe Wm carey and VCOM SC or AL, all of the DO schools are fully accredited. Mine's Ok for something like 5-8 years, I forget which.

Accrediation status will not affect your residency chances. A new school is more challenging because thier grads are an unknown quantity. But four years into a med school's life, it will have (or should have) achieved a better accreditation status.

And yes, you don't have access to federal loans, but there are alternatives.

In the worst-case scenario that a school loses accreditation, its students are sent to other DO schools.
All 3 VCOM Campuses -Alabama, Virginia and South Carolina are fully accredited..just fyi