New shorter MCAT due to COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everybody’s thoughts on the new shorter version of the MCAT for the 2020 year? Advantage, disadvantage? Some people say it will be tougher because the lunch break is shorter even if it requires less stamina overall. Do you think this version will be harder, easier or the same as previous years? I just want to see where everybody’s head is at about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Having shorter breaks might be tougher but on the other hand, you'll be out of the testing room much quicker than the standard administration.

Even if it was difficult, since the test is standardized, you can assume that the exam results will still be valid since everyone is in the same boat.

Reactions: 2 users
Having shorter breaks might be tougher but on the other hand, you'll be out of the testing room much quicker than the standard administration.

Even if it was difficult, since the test is standardized, you can assume that the exam results will still be valid since everyone is in the same boat.

If you are testing in July for instance do you think they will still require you to wear a mask while taking the exam and do you think that will throw some people off?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are testing in July for instance do you think they will still require you to wear a mask while taking the exam and do you think that will throw some people off?

I would assume that mask policies are still in effect then-and probably beyond that as well.

Why... does the mask impede people’s ability to think? Unclear what you mean by the “mask throwing people off”

people concerned about the wearing the mask can do practice tests with it, if they want to mimic exact conditions

one disadvantage of wearing mask is it may fog your eye glasses, so it may impact some.

one disadvantage of wearing mask is it may fog your eye glasses, so it may impact some.

I question the ability of someone to be a doctor if wearing a mask will impede their ability to take a standardized exam,
Anti-fogging solutions are available:

Reactions: 1 users
I question the ability of someone to be a doctor if wearing a mask will impede their ability to take a standardized exam,
Now I know why I didn't become a doctor :)

I would assume that mask policies are still in effect then-and probably beyond that as well.

Why... does the mask impede people’s ability to think? Unclear what you mean by the “mask throwing people off”

people concerned about the wearing the mask can do practice tests with it, if they want to mimic exact conditions

Well you have to think about it. First of all it’s harder to breathe, it starts getting pretty hot and steamy inside the mask, and it’s not as comfortable. Having to wear that on top of the fact that you’re already taking a very difficult exam might make it more difficult for some. True you can wear it while taking an actual exam to mimic exact conditions but it’s another barrier to doing well and it makes it more difficult than it already is.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you can't take the MCAT with a mask how will you do your 7th brain surgery of the day with a mask on??????????

Reactions: 2 users
Who said anything about being required to wear masks while taking the exam? I am sure the test stations will be physically separated, and actually never considered that Pearson would make people wear masks while testing. Did anyone see this anywhere, or is it just an assumption?

As to OPs question, masks aside, I think the shorter test will be advantageous insofar as we won't have to deal with the wacky field test questions that could cause hang ups in some circumstances, and shorter is always better because it will be less physically draining. No one will have an advantage over anyone else, but it should just be less stressful overall.

Edit: I just found this on the AAMC website. Notice it doesn't say anything about REQUIRING masks!

“This is a rapidly evolving situation, and we thank examinees for their patience. We want to work to ensure the use of safe practices in the test centers,” says Karen Mitchell, PhD, AAMC senior director of admissions testing. Once centers open up, they will practice social distancing measures and rigorous cleaning protocols, and they will allow test-takers to wear gloves and masks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user