New Start-up Looking for Psychiatry -- thoughts on this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyclefjaundice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I removed the contact names and name of the company, so that this post wouldn't be flagged as solicitation. I'm genuinely curious to know what people thought of this.

California-Licensed Psychiatrist @ ******** (Partnering Medical Group of **********, Stealth Mental Health Startup)
REMOTE
PART-TIME
We’re a stealth mental health startup hiring entrepreneurial psychiatrists with a license to practice medicine in California for our asynchronous telemedicine platform offering prescriptions (no controlled substances) for depression and anxiety. This is an opportunity to join our partnered medical group as a central part of our team and aid us in our mission of helping people overcome the barriers to effective mental healthcare.

This role is fully remote, with all work being done via a personal computer. No live video communication is required for the role, but the physician will be expected to answer patient questions via a secure messaging system.

That might be you if any or all of these apply:

• Board certified in psychiatry
  • Hold active MD/DO state licenses in good standing in CA (other states are a plus)
  • Willing to discuss major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and prescribe medication where clinically appropriate
  • You believe that the system for accessing treatment for depression and anxiety is broken - and you want to fix it.
  • Passionate about the intersection of technology and care delivery
  • Be approachable and able to converse with patients in everyday patient language, both written and spoken, if necessary
  • Be responsive to patient questions and concerns
  • Empathetic, collaborative, and comfortable with technology
  • Willingness to work in a startup environment
  • Strictly comply with HIPAA regulations and our privacy policies
  • You have an outgoing and positive attitude.
  • Willing to be responsive and collaborate with our team

About Us
*********** is a stealth mental health startup that offers direct to consumer management of antidepressants. ********* is ******'s partnering medical entity.

We at ******** are moving quickly to build a community around destigmatizing mental health treatment by offering a broad array of treatment options for anxiety and depression.

Our two founders - ****** and *****- have both experienced first-hand the struggle of trying and failing to access treatment for depression - which motivated them to start ********. Dr. ******* was previously the Medical Director for Hims - where he managed 150 doctors - and Medical Group President for Lemonaid Health.

We are a lean, mission-driven team based in San Francisco.

We are backed by prominent angel investors and venture capitalists in Silicon Valley and are currently in stealth mode, racing towards the launch of a pilot in Summer 2019 and a public launch towards the end of the year.

To apply, please send your resume to *********** with 1 paragraph on why you’re interested in working at ********* in this role.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They want you to prescribe meds without seeing the patient..sounds legit

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Lol so they basically want you to diagnose and treat patients via text message. But guess who gets sued when one of them overdoses on their Effexor. Classic stupid Silicon Valley posting filled with weasel words. Wtf is a “stealth startup” anyway?

How could this possibly go wrong?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol so they basically want you to diagnose and treat patients via text message. But guess who gets sued when one of them overdoses on their Effexor. Classic stupid Silicon Valley posting filled with weasel words. Wtf is a “stealth startup” anyway?

How could this possibly go wrong?
I think "stealth" means it's not public yet? I mean, they mention something about a pilot. So they're testing this out. And the website itself is not active.

I'm in this field and have been on advisory boards. This is conceptually fine but the bottomline is they pay too little. It's also not particularly novel of an idea, lots of competing companies already. You can reach out to see how much they pay, but you'll probably be disappointed.

W.r.t. legit telepsychiatry, salary numbers are being pushed up in the last two years as companies are fighting over providers who are at minimal reliable and low turnover. Latest batch of offers I've seen is typically $200+/hour at CMHC range last 6 months.

Generally, startups in the healthcare space don't realize how expensive physicians are and how hairy the regulatory landscape is. Healthcare is not like consumer electronics. When you ask them to actually pay real money, they realize that they are too poor to afford you. Well, that's not news. The biggest economy of the world is too poor to afford quality healthcare...

Reactions: 9 users
I'm in this field and have been on advisory boards. This is conceptually fine but the bottomline is they pay too little. It's also not particularly novel of an idea, lots of competing companies already. You can reach out to see how much they pay, but you'll probably be disappointed.

W.r.t. legit telepsychiatry, salary numbers are being pushed up in the last two years as companies are fighting over providers who are at minimal reliable and low turnover. Latest batch of offers I've seen is typically $200+/hour at CMHC range last 6 months.

Generally, startups in the healthcare space don't realize how expensive physicians are and how hairy the regulatory landscape is. Healthcare is not like consumer electronics. When you ask them to actually pay real money, they realize that they are too poor to afford you. Well, that's not news. The biggest economy of the world is too poor to afford quality healthcare...
I don't see how prescribing without ever seeing the patient is "conceptually fine."

Reactions: 1 user

I agree. I'm the CMO of a mental health startup and the problem with most of the competition, frankly, is that they're started by tech ppl who don't understand mental health, or by someone from a different branch of healthcare who doesn't understand how mental health is different than primary care.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see how prescribing without ever seeing the patient is "conceptually fine."

LOL i don't mean clinically conceptually. I mean like conceptually as a venture capitalist evaluating a business concept. As an early employee getting paid equity, you are in a very similar role in evaluating a company to work for.

I do telepsych as a straight 1099 contractor and have yet to see any 200/hr offers aside from maybe overnight ER/ED coverage working nights so i am a bit suprised to hear this.

Like so many efforts to try and find a cheaper way to deliver care, the argument around improving access will be used to justify any possible loss of quality.

However, we need to be making the clinical practice of psychiatry more intensive, not less. Most of us have likely experienced the contrast between working with patients in a 30 minute, once in 3 month ‘med check’ model, and settings where we can gather the necessary data to craft a robust formulation, and deliver interventions that are specific and targeted across medical and psychosocial dimensions.

We need to make the case that improved mental health will require deeper investment in intensive treatment approaches, and that medication needs to be part of a much richer plan of care. I do not anticipate a startup of the nature described here will generate large effect sizes.

Reactions: 8 users
Smallbird, what types of settings are those that you speak of? I want to work in one of those settings! I know that Brown does an awesome job with PHPs and IOPs which may be the only settings I can think of except maybe private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't get how this stuff is even legal. How are people justifying prescribing "a years worth" of birth control without doing a physical exam at least once? Prescribing antibiotics for "sinus infections" without seeing the patient face to face ever? UTIs? I get that people get meds called in from their PCPs for this kind of stuff but they've seen their PCPs in person at least once in the past year typically and if they're concerned about symptoms they have the opportunity to see them face to face soonish.

As soon as they have some bad outcome a patient wants to sue about, they won't have a leg to stand on. And again, why would you do this crap as the doctor? For 25 bucks a patient you're gonna take on the liability that one of the patients you provide Macrobid for a UTI actually has pyelo and ends up septic the next day cause you didn't do an actual physical exam?

Reactions: 1 users
I removed the contact names and name of the company, so that this post wouldn't be flagged as solicitation. I'm genuinely curious to know what people thought of this.

We’re a stealth mental health startup hiring entrepreneurial psychiatrists with a license to practice medicine in California for our asynchronous telemedicine platform offering prescriptions (no controlled substances) for depression and anxiety. This is an opportunity to join our partnered medical group as a central part of our team and aid us in our mission of helping people overcome the barriers to effective mental healthcare.

someone's having too much fun with a thesaurus.

They want you to prescribe meds without seeing the patient..sounds legit

aha. :laugh:

asynchronous telemedicine is a thing. theres lots of nonsense in the ad posted in the OP but this isn't something they're making up

Fascinating! I thought it was a fad phrase dressing things up.

I think "stealth" means it's not public yet? I mean, they mention something about a pilot. So they're testing this out. And the website itself is not active.
Know which other company was "stealth?" Theranos. Make of that what you will.

Also, I would never work for a non-doctor "entrepreneur" who thought of a medical practice as a "startup." Heck, I got a bad enough feeling at every job interview I had at for-profit hospitals that I turned them all down.

If the idea here is to do something like collaborative care - i.e., the patient as an actual PCP that they work with in person - then I could see this being viable. In many cases, this is how collaborative care functionally works: the actual psychiatric MD may not even see the patient but makes treatment recommendations. But this type of setup only works because they heavily screen patients and there is still an MD seeing and assessing the patient. I don't get the sense that that's what's going on here.

If the idea here is to do something like collaborative care - i.e., the patient as an actual PCP that they work with in person - then I could see this being viable. In many cases, this is how collaborative care functionally works: the actual psychiatric MD may not even see the patient but makes treatment recommendations. But this type of setup only works because they heavily screen patients and there is still an MD seeing and assessing the patient. I don't get the sense that that's what's going on here.

There are already a half dozen collaborative care startups in this space. Quartet is the current dominant player in this space. Lyra is another. I'm not gonna say anything about their product and various pivots because at some point I signed an NDA with both of them. But let's just say the competitive landscape of any number of these ideas is terrible, and it's even worse if you "don't know the right people"--just read both company's corporate management team bios on their websites.

There are already a half dozen collaborative care startups in this space. Quartet is the current dominant player in this space. Lyra is another. I'm not gonna say anything about their product and various pivots because at some point I signed an NDA with both of them. But let's just say the competitive landscape of any number of these ideas is terrible, and it's even worse if you "don't know the right people"--just read both company's corporate management team bios on their websites.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the leadership of Quarter and Lyra. What advice would you give to a medical student who is interested in doing what these men and women are doing, ie creating healthcare startups? More interested in healthcare leadership than in healthcare venture capital.

Seems like the general path would involve being an excellent resident -> excellent attending -> healthcare administrator role -> C-Suite role.

In other words, be a good physician, be a good healthcare administrator, get real-world, business experience, etc.

Everyone says network, but I find the term nebulous. Does networking mean I schmooze and pretend I'm good at playing golf? Or does it simply mean that you do a damn good job, and you promote yourself by attending conferences and writing high-impact articles about the healthcare industry that demonstrate your expertise?

Just thinking out loud here, seems like it would be very satisfying to have a hand in taking a startup and transforming it into a healthcare staple. Imagine contributing to the Amazon or Facebook of healthcare...

Shouldn't the starting point be a "I have this great idea" rather than "I want to create a startup"?

Reactions: 5 users
Shouldn't the starting point be a "I have this great idea" rather than "I want to create a startup"?

I literally lol’d at this because it’s so true.

Not only do you have to have a great idea, but it has to sound like a stupid idea to most people at the time or else they would already be doing it. When I first heard of some website named after a jungle that sold books I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world, now I essentially make every non-food item purchase from them.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the leadership of Quarter and Lyra. What advice would you give to a medical student who is interested in doing what these men and women are doing, ie creating healthcare startups? More interested in healthcare leadership than in healthcare venture capital.

Two things are roughly equivalent, back and forth. VCs are on boards, and often install themselves as CEOs/interim CEOs. If you do well as a CEO you eventually transition into an investing side. People have preferences, but you should think of these two things as two sides of a revolving door.

Seems like the general path would involve being an excellent resident -> excellent attending -> healthcare administrator role -> C-Suite role.

That's one path, and somewhat limited, because usually when you move from CEO of a large hospital-based organization to a startup/investing role, your main expertise is on the operation side, not the sales/fundraising side. There are numerous other paths, and I can give you a flavor: 1) you can skip residency or jump immediately to investment banking/private equity/equity research after residency in healthcare investment, then move to the management side or investment side. 2) start your own business before/after/during residency. 3) lateral move from mid-level at a large company to a senior level at a small startup. 3) subject matter expert (sometimes academia, sometimes industry) being scooped as technology executive role at a startup/medium sized organization in a fairly specialized role, or start their own company (these are really equivalent things being employee 0 or say 10). 4) become a very successful clinician and amass a relatively large portfolio in midcareer, and directly jump into investing as an angel investor--this is not unusual, but more common in other fields of medicine that have a history of interacting with med-tech like ortho/anesthesia or even derm. 5) becoming a successful manager/partner in a private practice group and sell the group to a larger organization and gain shares during the process and THEN jump to a startup role.

In particular, when you deal with large institutions of any kind in terms of total assets under management/total revenue, having a good "brand" is helpful. The only thing that beats a brand is a track record (i.e. if you raised 10M i'd be more comfortable giving you another 1M, if you managed 100 people, I know you can hire another 10, etc) but usually a track record PLUS a brand is better (officially this is usually called "team" when people ask how VCs evaluate new companies). If you are interested in this area and live close to one of the tech hubs (Boston, NYC, SF, LA, Pittsburgh, Denver, Austin, a few others) I would start with going to tech meetups if you have 0 network and talk to people there to get an ambiance. I have to say though in my experience in this world people find you before you find them, it's difficult to "break in". People ask around and somehow find me, and all my knowledge was organically absorbed... people who attend meetups/pitches etc are such a huge mix of random unemployed and actual high-quality people............ it's a fun hobby but I wouldn't bank my life on it. Generally if you go into the startup world and are young, people expect a degree of sacrifice that's very extreme. If you go and you are old (say > 35-40), people expect that you have a lot of money (net worth > 5-10M at an absolute minimum). If you are old and don't have money, you are extremely constrained and people lose interest very quickly, unless you have some specialized niche expertise, and even then generally you are a poor fit for a career in "healthcare startup executive" (vs. technical expert consultant) role.

Last edited:
@sluox thank you for your response. I was thinking perhaps consulting and then transitioning to a leadership role, mostly because consulting seems to be an easier to route to approach as an independent doc. Not so interested in just having a fat porfolio, more interesting in doing cool **** and being my own boss. Ideal career would be pracitcing psych -> independent consultant -> healthcare C-suite/VC

I can see how name brand helps, I went to HYP undergrad and am starting at a top 10 med school this summer, so this career path is certainly not out of the cards for me. Of course I'll have to kill it in med school, residency, fellowship, etc. I'm very much interested in practicing psychiatry, but I dunno if I can do ONLY THAT until the day I retire.

It's nice to hear about alternative career paths.

@SmallBird @Armadillos Sure, great ideas are important, but execution matters, too. And often times, the CEO of a company is not the person who came up with the idea in the first place -- the CEO is the person who knows who to hire, and how to motivate those people to get **** done.

@SmallBird @Armadillos Sure, great ideas are important, but execution matters, too. And often times, the CEO of a company is not the person who came up with the idea in the first place -- the CEO is the person who knows who to hire, and how to motivate those people to get **** done.

Certainly true, but medical training doesn’t prepare you to be good at that stuff, so presumably as the MD in a medical related startup you would be coming with the good idea and relying on others for the business expertise.

Reactions: 2 users
@sluox thank you for your response. I was thinking perhaps consulting and then transitioning to a leadership role, mostly because consulting seems to be an easier to route to approach as an independent doc. Not so interested in just having a fat porfolio, more interesting in doing cool **** and being my own boss. Ideal career would be pracitcing psych -> independent consultant -> healthcare C-suite/VC

Money is REALLY not there but it's a fun hobby. I would suggest go hang out with people and be nice and friendly and don't have an ego. If you are interested in becoming a consultant, a very useful thing (IMO) to do is to do academic research in a relevant area. This is somewhat controversial advice but it's worth exploring.

If you had started by saying that you have identified a specific need in mental health for which you have an innovative solution that would be best implemented through a fluid, industry-disruptive, novel process, it would be reasonable to then ask how you can go about finding the right support, context, collaborators etc. But to say you have a generic interest in creating a startup seems a bit like someone without research questions asking for advice on how they can get 'big grants' one day. Its not how I would, personally, encourage mentees to think about their careers, and I am guessing that most successful startups weren't created by people who for years driven by the goal of working in a shared office space in Brooklyn.

Smallbird, what types of settings are those that you speak of? I want to work in one of those settings! I know that Brown does an awesome job with PHPs and IOPs which may be the only settings I can think of except maybe private practice.

SmallBird, did you happen to see my(off-topic) query? Thanks!!

SmallBird, did you happen to see my(off-topic) query? Thanks!!

I think there are likely a diverse set of settings where it is possible to do what is really necessary to be effective and helpful, and that this will vary by region, institution, etc. I have found that inpatient and PHP/IOP settings where I work absolutely afford this (low patient load, not overly rushed by insurance, excellent clinical team, etc.). Some people find that private practice is their best option, and there are bound to be some CMHC's that actually have functioning vocational and psychosocial rehabilitation services that allow them to meet the needs of their patients. But there are inpatient units that are terrible, CMHC's that are terrible, and private practice doctors who are cursory. Perhaps others have more ideas on patterns or strategies for finding this type of environment - I think I was just lucky and have certainly worked in settings that felt dysfunctional along the way.

California-Licensed Psychiatrist @ ******** (Partnering Medical Group of **********, Stealth Mental Health Startup)
REMOTE
PART-TIME

This role is fully remote, with all work being done via a personal computer. No live video communication is required for the role, but the physician will be expected to answer patient questions via a secure messaging system.

That might be you if any or all of these apply:

• Board certified in psychiatry
  • Hold active MD/DO state licenses in good standing in CA (other states are a plus)
  • Willing to discuss major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and prescribe medication where clinically appropriate
  • You believe that the system for accessing treatment for depression and anxiety is broken - and you want to fix it.
  • Passionate about the intersection of technology and care delivery
  • Be approachable and able to converse with patients in everyday patient language, both written and spoken, if necessary
  • Be responsive to patient questions and concerns
  • Empathetic, collaborative, and comfortable with technology
  • Willingness to work in a startup environment
  • Strictly comply with HIPAA regulations and our privacy policies
  • You have an outgoing and positive attitude.
  • Willing to be responsive and collaborate with our team

About Us
*********** is a stealth mental health startup that offers direct to consumer management of antidepressants. ********* is ******'s partnering medical entity.

We at ******** are moving quickly to build a community around destigmatizing mental health treatment by offering a broad array of treatment options for anxiety and depression.

Our two founders - ****** and *****- have both experienced first-hand the struggle of trying and failing to access treatment for depression - which motivated them to start ********. Dr. ******* was previously the Medical Director for Hims - where he managed 150 doctors - and Medical Group President for Lemonaid Health.

We are a lean, mission-driven team based in San Francisco.

We are backed by prominent angel investors and venture capitalists in Silicon Valley and are currently in stealth mode, racing towards the launch of a pilot in Summer 2019 and a public launch towards the end of the year.

To apply, please send your resume to *********** with 1 paragraph on why you’re interested in working at ********* in this role.

Well, well, well. Three years later and this startup now has a $5 billion valuation and just got subpoenaed by a US Attorney. (This is Cerebral). I remember getting this same ad and just put two and two together.

Reactions: 10 users
hahaha I didnt realize this was cerebral, excellent plot twist. Im going to translate what they actually mean with the original posting and what they wanted:

• Board certified in psychiatry-->or has the ability to turn a computer on
  • Hold active MD/DO state licenses in good standing in CA (other states are a plus)--->as many states as possible so we can put as many patients/nps under you as possible
  • Willing to discuss major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and prescribe medication where clinically appropriate--->ability to see as many patients as possible with minor systems to generate maximum RVUs
  • You believe that the system for accessing treatment for depression and anxiety is broken - and you want to fix it.-->you're a young idealist and think turning psychiatry into a corporation driven by profit is somehow a good thing
  • Passionate about the intersection of technology and care delivery-->someone thought of this one while using the bathroom and thought it sounded catchy
  • Be approachable and able to converse with patients in everyday patient language, both written and spoken, if necessary-->have the ability to speak
  • Be responsive to patient questions and concerns-->or at least attach your name to their care
  • Empathetic, collaborative, and comfortable with technology-->Willing to collaborate with a minimum of 100 nps. Comfortable turning on your computer to sign controlled rxs. Empathetic towards the desire for profit.
  • Willingness to work in a startup environment--->willingness to get potentially screwed over
  • Strictly comply with HIPAA regulations and our privacy policies-->dont tell the world the shady stuff that happens at this company
  • You have an outgoing and positive attitude.-->you remain positive despite knowning youre getting screwed over
  • Willing to be responsive and collaborate with our team--->again most important, must supervise as many NPs as possible, without actually giving supervision

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
  • Willing to be responsive and collaborate with our team--->again most important, must supervise as many NPs as possible, without actually giving supervision

Actually, when I got this initial email, they were still working on a physician only model. It was PCP's and psychiatry residents who did most of the management, with a referral up to a psychiatrist if the PCP/resident felt it was too complex.

Asynchronous telehealth is definitely a thing. It was a pretty big focus at my residency...but that was before COVID. It was also mostly done as a consult service to other physicians. I'd definitely like to hear and see more about it being done as described here. I love anywhere that leads with "no controlled substances."

Actually, when I got this initial email, they were still working on a physician only model. It was PCP's and psychiatry residents who did most of the management, with a referral up to a psychiatrist if the PCP/resident felt it was too complex.

Yeah we did something similiar in residency, we would talk to patients on the phone and give recommendations to the PCP without actually prescribing the medications. I get the point of it, but I personally didnt like it due to lack of video component, having never actually seen the patient, but I know they fixed that now.

Asynchronous telehealth is definitely a thing. It was a pretty big focus at my residency...but that was before COVID. It was also mostly done as a consult service to other physicians. I'd definitely like to hear and see more about it being done as described here. I love anywhere that leads with "no controlled substances."
With telehealth in general, it feels like much of the encounter gets lost. But I understand with COVID now in the picture, there are circumstances where it would work out better. But when move is from synchronous to asynchronous, even more is lost. Especially in psychiatry when the history gathering, clarification, live discussion of treatment goals and rationale, is so important. Many times, I've had productive discussions with patients as we did some therapy and they come to realize often times it is not a medication issue and they certainly do not need more [insert controlled substance here].

I think I got the email a little bit later than OP, they weren't doing asynchronous telehealth when I talked to them.

And lol, the "no controlled substances" didn't pan out if you've been following the news at all.

I think I got the email a little bit later than OP, they weren't doing asynchronous telehealth when I talked to them.

And lol, the "no controlled substances" didn't pan out if you've been following the news at all.
You don't understand, that was sent on opposite day. They actually meant "only controlled substances". It's clear as day.

• Haha

In other words, be a good physician, be a good healthcare administrator, get real-world, business experience, etc.

Everyone says network, but I find the term nebulous. Does networking mean I schmooze and pretend I'm good at playing golf? Or does it simply mean that you do a damn good job, and you promote yourself by attending conferences and writing high-impact articles about the healthcare industry that demonstrate your expertise?

Just thinking out loud here, seems like it would be very satisfying to have a hand in taking a startup and transforming it into a healthcare staple. Imagine contributing to the Amazon or Facebook of healthcare...
If you want to be in the C-suite its something that comes down to your own drive and creativity. You have to come up with reasonable ideas that can make money and be driven enough to bring them to fruition. Startups have no clear path, they're the opposite of medicine

Well, well, well. Three years later and this startup now has a $5 billion valuation and just got subpoenaed by a US Attorney. (This is Cerebral). I remember getting this same ad and just put two and two together.

Wow, interesting to see where this ended up. I'd be interested in the timeline and how quickly they changed their model from "no controlled substances" and looking for physicians to a mid-level pill-mill of controlled substances.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, interesting to see where this ended up. I'd be interested in the timeline and how quickly they changed their model from "no controlled substances" and looking for physicians to a mid-level pill-mill of controlled substances.

Oh, I can pinpoint that exactly. It was Covid. They were a sinking ship before Covid and people were just signing up for the free monthly trial to get refills when changing PCP's or psychiatrists. They'd cancel as soon as it was up. Ryan Haight getting suspended was the only thing that kept them afloat. Even when Covid first happened, they were still working on a majority physician model. It was only post-Covid they started beefing up with NP's.

Makes sense, surprised they weren't able to keep their model after COVID hit though. Wonder if they were really going to go under or if greed just won out. I'd imagine a combo of both, but would be curious to see the actual numbers.