new state residency or post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smellydre

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am on two waitlists for this year and I am beginning to give up hope and go to "plan B" but I need a little advice. I am a CA resident with a 3.3 and a 31. I was thinking about either doing a post bacc program next year (probly SFSU), or moving to another state and working/volunteering in the medical field while establishing residency there, and then obviously reapplying next year. Which would you recommend? Money is kindof an issue which is why I would like to have a 'state school' option for med school, which I dont think I can get from CA, but would get if i moved to another state. But I feel my current GPA would be a hinderance in getting into any state school, and a post bacc might help that. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do both or my MCAT scores will expire.

Any advice? If you think I should move, what states are best to have residency in for medical school?

Thanks,
Dre

Members don't see this ad.

smellydre said:
Ok, I am on two waitlists for this year and I am beginning to give up hope and go to "plan B" but I need a little advice. I am a CA resident with a 3.3 and a 31. I was thinking about either doing a post bacc program next year (probly SFSU), or moving to another state and working/volunteering in the medical field while establishing residency there, and then obviously reapplying next year. Which would you recommend? Money is kindof an issue which is why I would like to have a 'state school' option for med school, which I dont think I can get from CA, but would get if i moved to another state. But I feel my current GPA would be a hinderance in getting into any state school, and a post bacc might help that. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do both or my MCAT scores will expire.

Any advice? If you think I should move, what states are best to have residency in for medical school?

Thanks,
Dre

I personally would do the post-bacc b/c MCAT's only last for three years. If you move to Texas, for example, you cannot be enrolled in any higher institution for at least a year and must show evidence of working (I do not know all the facts but you can find out). Then once you have met residency requirements you have to apply for that state residency. Who know's how long that will take (it's a govt entity for goodness sake. Govt is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow).
So I would do the postbacc.

But if you were to move, I would move to Texas. You can work in the most awesome medical center in the world (dang it is large with plenty of well recognized research leading hospitals (too many to count on my hands all in the same area. Plus you would be across the street from Rice, the greatest school in the world :D :cool: ! No really, moving to Houston would be a good option if you were to move.

Plus it is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier to get into med school down there simply b/c they have many med schools for fewer applicants. Plus you get an advantage in applying to Baylor (they receive partial state funding) over out of state applicants.

Becoming a Texas resident is pretty straightforward.

A year in the state, a job and Texas ID (DL) will do it.

California is a scary place to apply to public med schools

If you're in Northern California, a move to Portland might be a thought. This is what I did. OHSU has a huge class and a high acceptance rate for residents. You'll have to work there or something to prove youre a resident, but say, doing some research in an OHSU lab, could only help. Residency is also not hard to get. I liked Oregon anyway & kept my official resident status in case I want to go back

Other than that, I'd just say dont r/o an east coast private school. I thought I'd go to OHSU (& got in), but got in at a few privates and decided that I don't mind paying student loans later on down the line. If you're "disadvantaged" there's also a good chance of getting a scholarship at a private.

As for post-bach. Your grades aren't so bad. Your MCAT is decent. If money is an issue, better to save the time by going to an east coast private or a DO school. It'll cost roughly the same extra $$ as doing a post-bach and you'll be a year ahead when it comes to getting out there, working, and paying off those loans. If it's a post-bach with a linkage and guaranteed acceptance (Columbia, Byrn Mawr, ect.) thats another story.

Good Luck,

The Fly