New Sternberg vs New Rosai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rudy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently, both Sternberg and Rosai will be publishing new editions of their books (both will include CD-Rom as well) this Feb-March, which is the first time that I am aware of that new editions of each will be published in the same year. Just wondering which of the two you all prefer. I am leaning toward Sternberg because I like the format better and the fact that you get exposure to numerous world-wide experts instead of just one person's take.

Of note I also just saw that for the first time a review/self-assessment book of Sternberg's new edition is also being published, which might be a very nice way to reinforce learning.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I hadn't heard about the review guide, that sounds great. Where did you hear about it?

I'm trying to decide which to go for. I have Sternberg now and it is not bad but I like Rosai better. I've heard from many pathologists that Rosai is better to use for boards. Sternberg has some chapters that frankly suck but others are quite good. I think I will probably pick up the new Rosai since I already have Sternberg. It's a tough choice.

Yeah, I agree it is a tough choice and I guess that is why there are so many different opinions about which is better. It's interesting that you mentioned hearing that Rosai was better for the boards because just yesterday one of the new staff that took the boards last year said that multiple questions seemed to come "right out of Sternberg". I imagine the reality is that a thorough knowledge of either book will probably be great prep for the boards.

Regarding the review book, I have seen it on several websites and I confirmed it with a Lippincott's rep. It should be coming out in Feb-March 2004. It's amazing no one has done one before. Since questions are such a great way to reinforce knowledge after reading a lengthy chapter. Here is one of the links I found:

http://bergware.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/newsearch1?/Z104660@@c89754.p54240.1.t1071150890GDNRA0738

It would be interesting to hear the GP's thoughts...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, for some reason the link I added above doesn't take you directly to the review book listing. Type in "Sternberg's Review" in the search field and it should work.

Thanks for the link. I'll definately be picking that one up, even if I don't get the new Sternberg.

I guess one thing I felt was that Rosai was easier to read the Sternberg. In the end, though, I think you're right, either book would work great. However, one of our renal pathologists told us that the Sternberg stuff on medical kidney is terrible. He said, surprisingly, that the material in Robbins is the best he's seen.