Other OT-Related Information New student looking for organizational tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jrand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start my program in January and would like to know what other students have found helpful for staying organized. I read here about iStudiez Pro and look forward to trying that out.

In particular, I would like to hear from people who use a paper calendar/planner. I'm looking for a monthly/weekly 2-year calendar in 8.5 x 11, but haven't found one.

Any ideas and tips would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I use and adore my Filofax system. Customizable, and available in many sizes. I use a smaller one and actually use it as a wallet too. Its my everything! They do have larger sizes and you can pick out the layout for the pages: month on two pages, day on one page, week on two pages, etc..

I have a month-long wall calendar so I can see the "big picture" of upcoming tests, papers, and major assignments. But then I also have a 3-ring binder for each class. Every Sunday, I sit down and spend about a half hour writing out a detailed "to-do" list for each class including assigned readings and smaller assignments that are due that week. Feel free to use my to-do list format if it suits you...

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/20126603/file.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the feedback.

I have a month-long wall calendar so I can see the "big picture" of upcoming tests, papers, and major assignments. But then I also have a 3-ring binder for each class. Every Sunday, I sit down and spend about a half hour writing out a detailed "to-do" list for each class including assigned readings and smaller assignments that are due that week. Feel free to use my to-do list format if it suits you...

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/20126603/file.html
I am not in school yet, but I am definitely saving this in my Word Docs. I love your format!

Reactions: 1 user
I tried using electronic calendars and organizational software and it did not work for me. It's too much to fiddle with in class when professors are giving out due dates or assignment details. The best system I have found is a combination of a monthly and weekly calendar system. Big due dates go on the monthly calendar and smaller assignments/readings go on the weekly calendar. I also like to make weekly to-do lists on some scrap paper just to put things in a priority order.

Another way I stay organized is by keeping all my papers for all my classes in one giant binder with tab dividers. That way I always have my assignments and notes with me every day, even if I don't have that class that particular day. I also hole punch everything with a mini hole puncher and file it in my binder right away so I don't lose loose papers.