New Students, how many credits a semester are you taking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kauldron26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i start school sept 1, im wondering how many credits i should take ( i work full time) i am only allowed to take core classes. epi, behv, biostats and envr. can it be done to take all 12 in the same semester? or should i just take 6? i really cant wait to get my MPH and become competitive in the work world (just got laid off last week) and be capable of working and doing what i want with passion. Im tired of working jobs i really dont like.

Members don't see this ad.

I work full time and I'm taking 9 credits. But I'm also done with my intro stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is kind of a school specific thing, since every school assigns their # of credits semi-arbitrarily, so they all have a different "norm" as far as # of credits to be taken each semester. For me, I'll be taking an average of 20 units per semester. (80 units total, 2 yr program)

First semester in the fall, 13 credit hours. 2 out of 4 of the classes are considered core classes.

i wish i knew but uic is soo slow with everything, i still have not received my welcome packet even though ive been accepted to the school since march and i still dont know who my advisor is.....this university is starting too seem like a bad pick for me...they cant tell me anything

Ha, UIC is still sending me big packets in the mail even though I told the admissions coordinator I'm not going to attend the school back in April. Last week they sent me a big packet with instructions for orientation. They told me who my advisor would be in my admissions letter, but I applied to a different dept than you, I believe.

I'm trying to finish my MPH in 3 semesters and I've signed up for 15 credits (4 classes) for the fall. I wanted to sign up for a 5th 2-credit class but it was already blocked...in July. The class was a core class too, and it doesn't seem right to me that they would block graduate students from core classes. At the last university I attended, graduate students are always guaranteed access to the classes they want to take even if the class is already full.