Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

New subject. Interviews requested

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jalby, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm just a little curious about what interviews have been given so far. So here is the format that I would prefer.

Interview (date requested, date app complited if know)

Baylor (9/21, 7/25)
    Tulane (9/13, 7/25)
    St. Louis( any tuesday, 8/01)
    GWU (9/21 (will resched), 7/25)

And then the profile:

MCAT 14 Bio, 13 Phy, 10 Ver, O writing
    GPA 3.2 Non-science, 3.7 Science

That's in advance for anybody who responds. I can totally understand people who leave out the profile. I just love comparing stats on all things, so the more information the better. Thanks

Josh

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wow congratulations, u already have 4 interviews!!! way to go josh :D

u've tied the knot for first place, kick butt boy

4. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

Interviews so far:

Yale (9/13, 7/10)
    Pitt (9/25, 7/21
    Baylor (9/21, 8/2)
    Tulane (10/12, 7/15)
    U Chicago (10/15, 8/9)

MCAT:
    VR = 12
    PS = 13
    BS = 13
    W = S

Science GPA = 3.85
    Nonscience GPA = 3.86

5. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    And now I am in second. Of course, with those stats, I don't mind to much.

6. josh, one quick question,

how are u going to do baylor and GWU on the same day? :D

7. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Interview

UT Houston (9/14, app sent by TMDSAS 8/3)

Profile:

MCAT BS 13, PS 13, VR 13, WS O
    GPA 3.4 CUG, 4.0 Grad (engineering)

Applied only to UTH, Baylor, UTMB. My Baylor app is not complete yet (waiting for rec letters).

HTH,

Pam

8. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I requested the very first interview at GWU. So I'll be interviewing from 11:15-11:45. I will then hope on my private jet to Houston and should be able to make it to Houston by 1:30 (there is a time zone or 2 I will go through). I will take my helicoptor from the airport to the medical center and should make it there by 1:50. That will give me 5 minutes or so to get ready for my 2:00 interview. Hope that helps.

9. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just want to say that i am so proud of you people. ur stats kick ass! u have interviews all planned out, what i wouldnt give to be in your shoes.

Good luck on your interviews and please leave some spots for the rest of us ;)

10. wow josh...

u sound like mission impossible....hoping from one destination to the next :D

ur joking about my jet and my helicopter right? :D or are u really that rich? wow

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did he not say "will resched" after the initial GW post?? Although the jet plane option is definitely more interesting.

12. yes he did, I was teasing him ;) and he played along with the joke grasshoper :D

13. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm just curious, what flavor of engineering did you pursue? Did you do it for both undergrad and grad or switch it up?

14. spacecadet

spacecadet Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey MacGyver,

I'm aerospace. I did it for both undergrad & grad. I've been working for a while and I've been completing my premeds on the side. Basically the graduate degree was a misguided attempt to make engineering a little more fulfilling.

Oh, I typoed my stats too - my WS was a Q. Since I'm posting in this thread again, I thought I'd fix that. :)

Why do you ask?

15. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4 interviews so far...

ut houston
    texas A&M
    george washington
    tulane

good luck to everyone...i cant wait till the hellish process is OVER... :eek:

16. saffron u didnt follow josh's format...his going to be real pissed now....

so give us ur stats dude :D

17. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    spsssssssssssss (me pissed)

18. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"That's in advance for anybody who responds. I can totally understand people who leave out the profile. I just love comparing stats on all things, so the more information the better. Thanks"

jeez...I thought you were cutting some slack for those of us avg. applicants without 45 mcats to not post stats :) i'm ok statwise, but have some really awesome letters and experiences (worked in a clinic in a developing country, etc.)

5 more secondaries to go, then im DONE with apps...phew...

19. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's deep, saffron. You a philosophy major or something? :D Sounds like a Yoda-ism.

20. grasshopper

7+ Year Member

Speaking of "45 MCAT", I have a question. Obviously, nobody actually gets a 45 because verbal is usually out of like 13, right? But is there any way to know if anybody actually got a 43? That would be the high in all three sections on most administrations of the MCAT, right? This is completely just a random bit of curiousity on my part, but I've known several 42's but never heard anybody claim to have a 43. Anybody here able and willing to say they did? Or that somebody they know did?

21. synite

synite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

let's see...

normally, about 40,000 people take the MCAT on any given administration. a 37 total is the 99th percentile. so, about 400 will get 37+. since it's a bell shaped curve, i would assume the less that half of that (<200) get a 40+. so perhaps there are about 100 people would get a 40. perhaps there are 50 people who get a 41, 25 people would get a 42, and 25 more who get a 43. that's roughly speaking of course. don't quote me.

if anyone knows any better, please share. btw, grasshopper, you know *several* people who scored a 42?? that's absolutely amazing, considering a handful do it on any administration of the MCAT.

22. saffron what are your stats if u dont mind? :D

by the way are u a texas resident? when is ur texas A&M interview? ;)

23. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Where did you get yhe stat that a 37 is 99th percentile?

24. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, that's a shame.

Tell you what, can any of those "underachieving" 42 MCAT types be pursuaded to take the test for me? I wouldn't mind that lack of initiative on their part. ;)

25. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't mind a 42..."hey people at AMCAS, give me a 42 or greater!" Anyone good at the art of hypnotizing? Every year since I've known of the existence of the MCAT, I know somebody who's gotten a 42 or greater every year. People tell my parents, and my parents pass the message onto me in hopes that I will be the next one to get it. (Yeah right!) :)

26. grasshopper

7+ Year Member

I know of one that posted a 42 on this board a while back (don't rembember what the name was), another that is an MSI at Harvard currently, and another that someobody here cited in an anecdote. So it's not like I'm going to cocktail parties where they run rampant or anything. :)

27. synite

synite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i've heard from several sources that a score ~37 is the 99th percentile. this seems to make sense because the average score is ~25, and since it's a Gaussian distribution, scores would drop off pretty fast as you go away from the mean..

of course i could be wrong about this whole thing. ;)

28. GermanJohn

GermanJohn Member
    7+ Year Member

Here are some numbers from the April 2001 score report:
    24,941 people took the April 2001 MCAT
    0.1% of those got a 15 on the Physical Sciences (25 people)
    0.1% of the test takers got a 15 on the Biological Sciences (25 people)
    1.8% of test takers got a 13-15 on Verbal (449 people)
    Now, for the sake of argument, assume that the same 25 people who scored perfect on Physics also scored perfect on Biology. Also assume that these 25 people also got a 13-15 on Verbal. Therefore, the maximum number of people who could score 43-45 is 25. Since there are people who get perfect scores in one section, but not the other two, the actual number of people who score 43-45 is probably very small, a handful at best.

29. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Here's a story for you guys about a girl I know. She was always being pushed by her parents to do as well as her older sister. Her older sister scored a 42 on the MCAT and got into a good medical school. When it was her turn to take the MCAT, she only scored a 40 :( :( ....Her parents made her RETAKE the test...partly b/c she was "shaming" her family by not scoring as well as the older sister...and also b/c if she did not retake it and do better, her parents would always see her as "lesser of a sister"
    Sometimes families suck...

30. OH PLEEEEEEEEASEEEEE

PARENTS WANTING SOMEONE TO RETAKE IT OVER BECAUSE A 40 IS A BAD SCORE?

somepple really like making up stories....has she ever heard of the word NO?

I have seen AN*l premeds, who want to take things for themselves and blame it on their parents, and can you pple stop talking about 42 and 43 MCATS...I am SO SORry, but the conversation is VERY lame, u know why?

most of the time, they are the types that don't have anything else for them....if you received a 40 and above and have loads of researdh, volunteer, and numerous awards, more power to you

but the typical overachiever grades, are nerds who haven't seen the light of day. Why am I being so general? I know 7 applicants with those kinds of profiles, they applied last year, and guess what, they are second year applicants...

there is an old story, pple with extremely high MCAT, and extremely LOW mcat are rejected by most credible institutions that claim they want to have a "doctor" and not a bookwork....

please pple :rolleyes:

31. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

NOT a made up story dude...sorry to burst your bubble...
    But it DID happen...

It's like that woman on this board who says she made 300K in undergrad. Some things sometimes seem unbelievable to us, but they are what the other person actually lives through.

32. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Scoob: So what did she get on the retake? :cool:

Whatcha: I knew someone with a 42 and he only got into 2 schools (his two "safety" schools.) .....anyway what's the big deal with "40" MCAT scores......

33. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As far as the 'I know someone who got a such and such score'. I've always taken what my friends or associates tell me their score is with a grain of salt. Unless you actually see the report, the score could be absolutely anything. One example: I had one guy I TAed with in undergrad pull me aside to tell me his score: "Hey man! I got all 15s on my MCAT!" I said, "Wow, that's fantastic. That must look great on the printout, can I see it sometime?" He said, "oh, well, um, it's at my parent's house and I can't get my hands on it." - even though he lived 30 miles from home and saw his parents all the time. I think with some people it's a head game to psych others out. So I just figure, what the person tells me is probably plus or minus 2 on their actual score.

**Disclaimer: this applies in some cases and not all. If it does not apply to you, you need not get defensive**

Andrew

34. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

some people asked me questions...i'll try to answer (maybe selectively) ;) yeah, im a tx. resident, my ut houston interview is fri. sept. 7, my stats are very avg.

about the quote...im not a philosophy major (double english and bio, actually). i just ran across it somewhere, and i was like, 'thats so true'...i guess not very profound... :)

35. saffron bro

when is ur A&M interview?

thnx

36. Loki

Loki Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Interesting, You thought I was a woman. Facinating and disturbing <grin>

37. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Hahah...oops...sorry Loki...
    I thought that you were a woman for some reason based on some of the stuff you said. I remember when I read your reply you mentioned your wife and I got all confused...ah well...
    she retook it..got a 41...she was an acquantance of one of my good friends who I spoke to in person and she told me directly....but yea...that is totally possible that since I never saw the score report she could have been pulling stuff out of her as$.
    Got my first rejection today...so now I am going to start applying to more "safety schools" :mad:

38. Loki

Loki Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Who gave ya the smack down...let me take a stab...Stanford...