New Surgeon General candidate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
FYI.....

The surgeon general candidate, Richard Carmona, is a trauma surgeon from Arizona. He's got quite a storied history. He appears to be a pretty impressive guy.

Members don't see this ad.

No he's not a DO. MD (from UC San Francisco I believe)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Carmona works and teaches at the University of Arizona. He's quite the controversial figure here in Tucson, but he is very well respected.

He seems to have an incredible story.

Oh, yeah, incredible story.

What the hell story does he have?

He was a cop in Tucson. Then he became a doctor and worked for the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He was affiliated with TPD for a long time. About 2 or 3 years ago, there was a shooting north of campus by a popular coffee house. A suspect was shooting at a bunch of people, and Dr. Carmona shot and killed him. It was very controversial at the time because he's a doctor and "shouldn't be kililng people." I don't know much else about him.

I am really glad He was chosen. Finally a doctor who is not a true liberal with some sort of liberal agenda attached on to what he does or says. I like him becasue 1, he is a trauma surgeon, 2, he was a veteran (SF medic in vietnam I believe), 3, He is a surgeon for SWAT teams , 4, the story where he killed that guy. To me he seems like a normal guy-- not some holier than though, liberal, gun banning, idiot out to preach to the world. He made the decision to shoot back--- This is the kind of doctor we should all try and be like. I only hope I never get shot at-- I do not normally carry a weapon around (I do not have very good aim).

Here is link to more of his story on <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/03/26/bc.bush.health.ap/index.html" target="_blank">cnn.com</a> . The guy he shot was also a suspect in the murder of his own father!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex:
•Here is link to more of his story on <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/03/26/bc.bush.health.ap/index.html" target="_blank">cnn.com</a> . The guy he shot was also a suspect in the murder of his own father!•••••Yeah. I had forgotten the particulars of that story since it happened in like 1999. But yeah. I like what I know of him. I like him because he never apologized for shooting that guy because of his profession. I like people who can stand up for themselves and not cop out with some lame excuse.

Hi,
The UofA is an awesome school. I have very fond memories of the time I spent there. I remember the low cost theatre that was on campus. The awesome gymnasium there. Taking a swim in the pool between classes. All in all, I would have to say that UofA is great.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Thebeyonder:
•Hi,
The UofA is an awesome school. I have very fond memories of the time I spent there. I remember the low cost theatre that was on campus. The awesome gymnasium there. Taking a swim in the pool between classes. All in all, I would have to say that UofA is great.•••••The pool was gone when I got there. But Gallagher was there up until 2000 late in the year. Then they moved the movies to Social Sciences 100. The atmosphere sucked and they started losing tons of money.