new to forum with much to ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woobadger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been reading the forums for a while and figured it was about time I posted some of my myriad questions so I can get some advice.

I'm a Biology (B.S.) major at UB. I'm looking at about 2 more years until I finish the degree. I work as a post operative aid at a local hospital. I'm presently considering going into emergency medicine when I enter med school.

Now, 2 years is not really a lot of time (or maybe it just doesn't feel like it right now). I'm planning on taking the MCATs next April (2005) and I figure I should REALLY start figuring out where I want to go for med school.

This is my question: Where do I start looking for med schools? Advisement at UB is a joke and I have no idea where or even how to go about looking into med schools to apply to.

I guess that's all I'll ask in this post. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Start with a book called the MSAR. that will let you see what competitive numbers are at each school. you won't really know where you fit into that until you have your gpa and mcat scores.

Originally posted by woobadger
Hello all. I've been reading the forums for a while and figured it was about time I posted some of my myriad questions so I can get some advice.

I'm a Biology (B.S.) major at UB. I'm looking at about 2 more years until I finish the degree. I work as a post operative aid at a local hospital. I'm presently considering going into emergency medicine when I enter med school.

Now, 2 years is not really a lot of time (or maybe it just doesn't feel like it right now). I'm planning on taking the MCATs next April (2005) and I figure I should REALLY start figuring out where I want to go for med school.

This is my question: Where do I start looking for med schools? Advisement at UB is a joke and I have no idea where or even how to go about looking into med schools to apply to.

I guess that's all I'll ask in this post. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks a lot.

A fellow SUNY'er, eh?:cool:

1 - Decide about DO vs. MD. I had reasons for making my choice, you will have reasons for making yours. Browse the forums/main site to see what the differences are.

2 - Check out mdapplicants.com. Although the stats are self-reported, they will give you a good idea on where you stand relative to the competition. Make a list of schools that you should be competitive for. Include some reach schools, and some easier schools. Definitely include the 4 SUNYs (SB, UB, Upstate, Downstate)

3 - Many schools will mail out information packets to prospective applicants. Take advantage of this

4 - See if your advising office can provide you with contact information for alumni attending medical schools that you are interested in.

5 - Lurk here, post many questions. Most people are very helpful. Try the allo forum - you will get more help there