New to podiatry and wondering whats up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never even knew what podiatry was until about last year, always thought they were just MDs or DOs who were specializing in feet... I'm interested in this now though!

3.4 cumulative, 3.1 science
27 MCAT, taking new MCAT in a month
graduated from well known university with kinesiology major and art minor
Divison 1 athlete
Tons of volunteering in clinical and non clinical setting
MD and DO shadowing
Great LOR from professors/doctors

Am I competitive?
Is applying to Podiatic schools any different than applying to MD/DO schools?
Same requirements? '
Same MCAT scores needed?
Same LORs?
Do I need prior volunteering/work experience with a Podiatrist?
How are the lifestyles/hours worked?
Is the schooling as grueling as Medical school?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but i literally know nothing about podiatrist, and the searching i have done has shown myriad of different answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I never even knew what podiatry was until about last year, always thought they were just MDs or DOs who were specializing in feet... I'm interested in this now though!

Divison 1 athlete
MD and DO shadowing

Am I competitive?
Same requirements? '
Same MCAT scores needed?
Same LORs?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but i literally know nothing about podiatrist, and the searching i have done has shown myriad of different answers.
Yes you are competitive. The average MCAT for pod schools is around a 23. If you go this route you won't need a new mcat score

Reactions: 1 users
You're in good shape my friend for applying. Shadowing a podiatrist would be nice but many applicants get away with not doing so. Are you applying for 2016 or 2017 cycle?

All med schools are grueling.. I think the biggest different between MDs or DOs schools is that in pod school, our first two years are graded. I know some MD or DO schools have a pass fail system for a lot of their pre-clinical classes. So our g.p.a is the equivalent to their boards, as our boards are pass/fail.

You're in good shape my friend for applying. Shadowing a podiatrist would be nice but many applicants get away with not doing so. Are you applying for 2016 or 2017 cycle?

All med schools are grueling.. I think the biggest different between MDs or DOs schools is that in pod school, our first two years are graded. I know some MD or DO schools have a pass fail system for a lot of their pre-clinical classes. So our g.p.a is the equivalent to their boards, as our boards are pass/fail.

I havent even looked into the app process yet so i dont know if it is open or when it is open...just been focusing on taking the MCAT again. I already signed up and have been studying for it, so i might as well just take it since it's too late to get my money back anyways...

Divison 1 athlete
MD and DO shadowing

Am I competitive?
Same requirements? '
Same MCAT scores needed?
Same LORs?

Seems like you could try DO school as well if you wanted.

I havent even looked into the app process yet so i dont know if it is open or when it is open...just been focusing on taking the MCAT again. I already signed up and have been studying for it, so i might as well just take it since it's too late to get my money back anyways...

I think you can call big schools if you wanted to and see if spots are open. You have competitive stats, so if there is still spots open you may have a chance for 2016 cycle. Also a 27 is good enough did you score expire? And if so, you can send in application (because it takes a month to process) and send in your MCAT scores afterward. And I guess worst come to worst my school has a January class (nycpm) if you are interested!