New to Pre-Med, Low-GPA, Recent BS Biology, Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted788994

Hi! Okay first off Im a recent first-generation graduate who has finally decided on going to medical school. My science GPA is quite low 2.57 and my overall GPA is a 2.97. I've looked at pre-reqs for schools and I have C+/-'s in 4 of the courses (genetics, ochem 1, bio 2, biochem) and the rest of my pre-reqs are B's.

I still have more prereqs to take (entire physics sequence, ochem 2) and I was going to add a few more classes in to boost my GPA (A&P sequence, Micro, Sociology) and retake Genetics which I made a C- in. Along with that, I plan on starting my MCAT studies in December 16' in order to take the exam in July. I recently found an OBGYN to serve as my mentor, and she is offering me a part-time MA position at her clinic with training since she knows I have a lot of courses to take during this gap year

What are my odds looking like so far for medical school? I'm definitely looking into the DO route, but is MD still possible? I know I have to make all A's which i'm ready for, but does this all seem attainable within the next year? I know i'll have to sacrifice a lot of free time, but I also didn't take advantage of the time I had in undergrad by working hard, so I know I have to do it now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You can get into medical school fairly easily with the DO route if you repeat courses.

If you want to go MD route, you will have to go to grad school and demonstrate improvement.

Study hard for your MCAT! You want to aim to get over a 500, preferably, 510 and above.

You can get there. If you just graduated and you're in your early 20s, you have nothing but time. Don't lose hope.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA needs to be at least 3.2 or so. Most schools will screen your application if it is anything lower than that. the avg for most DO schools is 3.4 or 3.5. It seems like your science GPA is low, and that means you'll be struggling with topics in science. If you are struggling with topics in science, you're going to have a hard time studying for the MCAT and an even harder time in Med school. My major was biochemistry and I had a high GPA and the science classes (biochem, molecular bio, immunology, etc) in med school are harder than any class I ever took in college. It's like completing your year's worth of biochem, genetics, and molecular into a few weeks (we have 3 weeks). The information is not harder, it is just a LOT more information in a WAY shorter time. So if you struggled with college courses, I would really take a hard look at if Med school is for you.
If you want to apply to DO school, I'd recommend starting to shadow DOs ASAP. Some DO schools require a LOR from a DO.
Also, GPA is very hard to raise (depending on how many classes you've had already). To balance out your GPA you need a higher MCAT, definitely need 510+

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA shouldn't be hard to raise with grade replacement (DO focused). Makes sure you get A's. Hold on the Mcat. You have not demonstrated a solid foundation in the sciences. If you study for the Mcat during a school semester, you in particular will not get a good score. I would wait til next summer to study for the Mcat when your schedule is more open.

You can get into medical school fairly easily with the DO route if you repeat courses.

If you want to go MD route, you will have to go to grad school and demonstrate improvement.

Study hard for your MCAT! You want to aim to get over a 500, preferably, 510 and above.

You can get there. If you just graduated and you're in your early 20s, you have nothing but time. Don't lose hope.

Thank you for your encouragement! I'm definitely looking more into the D.O route!

Your GPA shouldn't be hard to raise with grade replacement (DO focused). Makes sure you get A's. Hold on the Mcat. You have not demonstrated a solid foundation in the sciences. If you study for the Mcat during a school semester, you in particular will not get a good score. I would wait til next summer to study for the Mcat when your schedule is more open.

Thanks for the advice about the MCAT! That sounds like a much better plan!

Your GPA needs to be at least 3.2 or so. Most schools will screen your application if it is anything lower than that. the avg for most DO schools is 3.4 or 3.5. It seems like your science GPA is low, and that means you'll be struggling with topics in science. If you are struggling with topics in science, you're going to have a hard time studying for the MCAT and an even harder time in Med school. My major was biochemistry and I had a high GPA and the science classes (biochem, molecular bio, immunology, etc) in med school are harder than any class I ever took in college. It's like completing your year's worth of biochem, genetics, and molecular into a few weeks (we have 3 weeks). The information is not harder, it is just a LOT more information in a WAY shorter time. So if you struggled with college courses, I would really take a hard look at if Med school is for you.
If you want to apply to DO school, I'd recommend starting to shadow DOs ASAP. Some DO schools require a LOR from a DO.
Also, GPA is very hard to raise (depending on how many classes you've had already). To balance out your GPA you need a higher MCAT, definitely need 510+

Thank you for your advice! I attended UT Austin which is a pretty academically competitive school, but still that is no excuse for my low GPA. Unfortunately during undergrad I didn't spend enough time focusing on my studies. I was too busy hanging out and doing the bare minimum, while working to pay for school. I also had no clue what I really wanted to do with my life. I have many regrets about the last four years, but I can't focus on the past. I'm trying to move forward and truly believe I can make D.O school happen! Thank you for your advice!

@funky_95
I started my post-bac this past summer. I am enrolled at a 4 yr college this fall 16/spring 17 to retake some classes. All the classes I am retaking are geared towards the Mcat. You have to take a slow and steady approach to raising your gpa. The same thing goes for the Mcat. Yes, there are some people that are really smart / good with time management / have a part-time or full-time job during the academic year that can pull high Mcat scores out of there noses. I know that is not the case with me (I am not a good standardized test taker) so prepping for the Mcat next summer would be the best time I can dedicate everything I got to the beast. Do what is best for you. GL

Reactions: 1 users