khemikal3001

15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hey all,
I'm a pre-med switch from pre-dental studies (I'm a nutrition major currently at a two year college but will be transferring to University of Florida in the fall as a junior. Some of the reasons I switched largely have to do with a larger area of study I am interested in, and I don't want to trash the pre-dentals, but I think a medical career as a surgeon or pediatrician would be MUCH more fulfilling. The nutrition major at UF satisfies all pre-med requirements, and is basically a biology degree (UF does not give out biology degrees other than a little crappy ineractive biological sciences degree). to make a long story short, most pre-meds at UF are advised to do nutritional sciences or something of that sort, but I know you can really go into anything. I'm only 19 right now and will be a junior transfer with a GPA of 3.6 and roughly 60 credits, my AA. I plan to volunteer soon at the ER at a local hopsital and emergency center and I am absolutely completely focused on a career as an MD, though I don't stress it and study insane hours (I know you have to stay balanced and have a life). Now for some questions if you all can answer, I'd love to hear from you:
1)Has anyone ever heard of a nutritional science major get into med school? (stupid question but I guess I should ask)

2)What else should I be doing besides volunteering?

3)When should I prepare for the MCAT and can you take the MCAT at anytime?

Thanks guys and gals...I really appreciate it!
:laugh:

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by khemikal3001
1)Has anyone ever heard of a nutritional science major get into med school? (stupid question but I guess I should ask)

1. all majors get into medical school. various science and humanity majors gain acceptance into med school. this should not be a concern of yours. just make sure you have done all the prereqs for the med schools.

2. possibly research. activities you enjoy doing. and perhaps other types of activites to gain clinical experience.

3. the mcat is offered twice a year. april and august. depending on when you want to matriculate into med school. most traditional students either take it in april/august their jr year or april their senior year. if you are applying while you are a senior then it is recommended to take the april and not the august to ensure early transmission of your amcas application to all the schools that you are interested in.

if you want to attend med school right after you graduate ugrad...then people generally take it april of their jr. year. and apply that summer.

the application process takes a year.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
oh about when to prepare for the mcat. depends on what type of studier you are. if you want to study for a few months which is what many do...maybe start in december so that you can be adequately prepared to take the test in april?

if you are gonna apply when you are a sr...

then you can take the mcat and prepare for it the summer after your jr year...which will also give you a good amt of time to study for the august test.

About the Ads

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by khemikal3001
Hey all,
I'm a pre-med switch from pre-dental studies (I'm a nutrition major currently at a two year college but will be transferring to University of Florida in the fall as a junior. Some of the reasons I switched largely have to do with a larger area of study I am interested in, and I don't want to trash the pre-dentals, but I think a medical career as a surgeon or pediatrician would be MUCH more fulfilling. The nutrition major at UF satisfies all pre-med requirements, and is basically a biology degree (UF does not give out biology degrees other than a little crappy ineractive biological sciences degree). to make a long story short, most pre-meds at UF are advised to do nutritional sciences or something of that sort, but I know you can really go into anything. I'm only 19 right now and will be a junior transfer with a GPA of 3.6 and roughly 60 credits, my AA. I plan to volunteer soon at the ER at a local hopsital and emergency center and I am absolutely completely focused on a career as an MD, though I don't stress it and study insane hours (I know you have to stay balanced and have a life). Now for some questions if you all can answer, I'd love to hear from you:

Firstly, I'll wish you good luck on your path to becoming a physician.

Secondly, I'll say congratulations for tapping into advice early on (I don't think I knew what the MCAT really was before my sophomore year, much less what medical schools "looked for".

To answer at least one of your questions:

1) As concerns your major, just do you. Excellence is excellence...

2) Do what's in your heart. If it's not genuine, a future interviewer will likely see through it. If you wanna see what medicine is like, get in a clinical setting and start looking (and asking). If you want to experience research, get into a lab and start experimenting. If you want to explore dance or theatre, get into a studio and work it out. etc etc etc.

3) You can technically take the MCAT anytime. It might be easier to go with the norm and do the whole April of Junior year thing, but if that's not you, don't. I would, however, recommend that you take most (if not all) prereqs before taking the MCAT (broader and deeper understanding can only help).

Gluck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.