New to Pre-Pharm, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millicent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just decided to go back to school to complete the pre-pharmacy requirements. I have my undergrad in International Business from the University of North Texas. I graduated with a 3.0, but didn't take any biology, physics or chemistry, so now I'm going to take all of those at a community college. I want to wait until I am knee-deep into these courses before I try to get a position at a local pharmacy. I want to be sure that I'll do well.....I haven't had any of these since high school. I guess I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation.. went back to school, had a BA, courses at community college...anything that would help guide me. Thanks in advance! I'm really excited about this change!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have just decided to go back to school to complete the pre-pharmacy requirements. I have my undergrad in International Business from the University of North Texas. I graduated with a 3.0, but didn't take any biology, physics or chemistry, so now I'm going to take all of those at a community college. I want to wait until I am knee-deep into these courses before I try to get a position at a local pharmacy. I want to be sure that I'll do well.....I haven't had any of these since high school. I guess I'm just looking for some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation.. went back to school, had a BA, courses at community college...anything that would help guide me. Thanks in advance! I'm really excited about this change!

I kind of did the same thing as you, minus the degree. I served in the Army for 7-1/2 years before I went back to school. Believe me, it's not easy. I would suggest possibly auditing a class over the summer that won't count against you if you mess up. Most programs want you to have taken all of the science and math within five years, so you may have to start again with pre-calculus or college algebra. Just the science and math pre-requisites can fill up two years of college, especially if you have to work and/or have a family. Just study your butt off and do well in those classes, because that's what most schools look at when considering you for admission. I don't know where you will be applying, but being involved in some kind of community service is always a big plus. Just focus on one or two things, like packing boxes at a food bank or something like that. I wouldn't worry about spending the $1200 on a Kapplan course for the PCAT unless you do really bad after taking most of your sciences. You should do fine with a study book you get at a bookstore. That course pretty much just teaches you how to take the test, not so much on content. If you have any more questions, feel free to give me a yell.

Thanks for the response....

What do you think about taking the classes at a community college? I've heard a few people say that it looks better if you take them at a university. Does it really make a difference?

Also, do you think they will look at my 3.0 and take that into consideration, or would they just look at my science/math coursework?

Members don't see this ad :)

What do you think about taking the classes at a community college? I've heard a few people say that it looks better if you take them at a university. Does it really make a difference?

Also, do you think they will look at my 3.0 and take that into consideration, or would they just look at my science/math coursework?

I am not sure about other programs. I got lucky in that I applied only to my school and got in. At our school they do look at overall GPA and then science/math GPA. I took most of my classes at a community college here in San Antonio, but I took a good majority of my science and math at the university that started the pharmacy school I attend.

You can really find some amazing professors at the community colleges that will teach you better. Plus at a lot of universities you may be in a general chem class of around 500 students, like at the University of Texas in Austin. At community college your classes will most likely be around 35 students. The professors are also not pressured to do research or publish in the community college level which gives them more time to help you if you need it.

We have several people in our class that took their prereqs at a community college. It should be fine to do them there.

As far as you BA GPA, most schools will weight heavily on the science and math courses but will also look at your other courses and GPA. They want well-rounded students.