New to Pre-Podiatry...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueRhino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior at the University of Virginia and I'm majoring in Biology and Psychology. My cumulative GPA is 3.059 and my science GPA is 2.876. My MCAT score is 31 (11PS, 10VR, 10BS). I've volunteered for 3 years at a hospital and I'm also planning on obtaining my EMT-B shortly. I've also interned at a Physical Therapy clinic for a summer.

Am I a competitive candidate for Podiatry schools?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Your sGPA is low. BUT, you killed it on the MCAT and that definitely makes up for your lower sGPA. IMO I think you're good!

Hello everyone,

I'm a senior at the University of Virginia and I'm majoring in Biology and Psychology. My cumulative GPA is 3.059 and my science GPA is 2.876. My MCAT score is 31 (11PS, 10VR, 10BS). I've volunteered for 3 years at a hospital and I'm also planning on obtaining my EMT-B shortly. I've also interned at a Physical Therapy clinic for a summer.

Thank you!

Your MCAT scores are impressive, but your GPA is rather atrocious.

I would exclude you immediately, but some schools may not.

How do you think you would fare in a much more rigorous curriculum than you had in College? Why do you think you would excel in professional school, yet you couldn't perform in your college days?

These are important questions to ask and answer to yourself before investing any time and money into this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Your sGPA is low. BUT, you killed it on the MCAT and that definitely makes up for your lower sGPA. IMO I think you're good!

Sorry, this is terrible advice. A high MCAT does not necessarily get you in. A well rounded app gets you in and this applicant does not quite have that. Sorry.

Ohio will take you for sure. Heck, I walked out of there with an admissions letter and a partial scholarship.

Hello everyone,

Thank you!

Despite your gpa being a little below average, you still have a chance, but first you have to shadow a podiatrist, know if podiatry is right for you, and get a letter of recommendation from the pod

Are you planning on applying? Shadow a pod THIS WEEK and apply next week if the profession appeals to you!

I had a slightly lower cGPA and the same overall MCAT (11BS, 11PS, 9VR) and I got into Temple, New York, DMU, Scholl with scholarships.

But remember, nothing is gauranteed. The low GPA was the first thing brought up in every single interview so be ready for it. I had a major upswing in my last 2 semesters...3.3 and 4.0 (w/orgo II). After I outlined my improvement and how I did it (hard work) it was never brought up again. They talked to me like I was already accepted.

Like Kidsfeet said, shadow and make sure you have the drive to do well in school and not just one exam. At Scholl, and pretty much all the other schools, we average ~2 huge exams a week. It's a constant struggle. Make sure you are up for the challenge cuz its gonna be an expensive 4 years.

I had a thought. Instead of everyone calling these threads "Chances of getting in", they should call them "Chances of succeeding". Thoughts?

With a high MCAT score and such a bad GPA, I can only assume you're a pretty smart person that lacked the motivation to succeed in undergrad.

What makes you think it'll be easier to find motivation at the next level?

Doing well on the MCAT is a good measure of intelligence, I think...at the very least an ability to master specific subjects.

The GPA is more of a, "will they trade off momentary gratification for long term gains" and it doesn't seem like you demonstrated that.

I had a thought. Instead of everyone calling these threads "Chances of getting in", they should call them "Chances of succeeding". Thoughts?

I mean... I know what you're trying to get at. The fact is though, that no one on these forums cares about "success" they just want to get into school. Because once you get, in its all $$$, hot wives, fast cars, and beach houses.

At least those are the reasons I want to get into pod school...

All of the people I see on TV that are rich and famous are doctors; specifically podiatrists.

Donald Trump, Lebron James, Tom Cruise, Barack Obama.

At least, I think they're all podiatrists. Maybe I shouldn't leave the news/games on while I'm studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean... I know what you're trying to get at. The fact is though, that no one on these forums cares about "success" they just want to get into school. Because once you get, in its all $$$, hot wives, fast cars, and beach houses.

At least those are the reasons I want to get into pod school...

Damn it, I knew I should have gone for a DPM...

I think the tier of undergrad school needs to be taken into consideration as well. UVa is no joke and while the OP's gpa is low, they did rock the MCAT and that gpa is probably the same as a 3.4 at a community college. I have no data to back up the conversion, but there certainly is a difference in where you study and schools typically acknowledge this. Heck, just getting into UVa is impressive.

I think the tier of undergrad school needs to be taken into consideration as well. UVa is no joke and while the OP's gpa is low, they did rock the MCAT and that gpa is probably the same as a 3.4 at a community college. I have no data to back up the conversion, but there certainly is a difference in where you study and schools typically acknowledge this. Heck, just getting into UVa is impressive.

:thumbup::thumbup:

The difference between community college and a well known accredited university such as UVA is enormous. While the content covered is the same, upper tier schools require such a deeper level of understanding when it comes to testing. A 3.0 at UVA can probably get you a 3.8 at a community college. But like universities, some community colleges are better than others! Just, in my area, they are not very impressive.

I disagree. The MCAT is the way to test you on your knowledge. The GPA is to test on you on your ability to get stuff done, and do it to the standards given to you. If you went to an ivy league school or wherever, you made that choice to go to a school with high standards, and you must complete them. If a community college has significantly lower standards, you also need to complete the task given to you, but it might be easier. The higher standards at your college may give you the means to a better MCAT score, and I applaud them if that is the case, but that being said, Pod school is going to be unbelievably tough, and the GPA is just a measure of how well you were able to complete a task, not how much you know.

i disagree. The mcat is the way to test you on your knowledge. The gpa is to test on you on your ability to get stuff done, and do it to the standards given to you. If you went to an ivy league school or wherever, you made that choice to go to a school with high standards, and you must complete them. If a community college has significantly lower standards, you also need to complete the task given to you, but it might be easier. The higher standards at your college may give you the means to a better mcat score, and i applaud them if that is the case, but that being said, pod school is going to be unbelievably tough, and the gpa is just a measure of how well you were able to complete a task, not how much you know.

huh???

Kidsfeet, I am trying to say that gpa isn't a measure of what you know, whereas the MCAT is.

The GPA is important to see how well you are at completing assignments/ doing what you need to do.

I strongly disagree. GPA differences are a function of intelligence when you're in an upper tier school. If you think that "completing assignments" gets you an A at a top school, you are very mistaken. What do you think would happen if you dropped a 3.5 GPA from community college student into MIT or Stanford (I avoid Ivy league b/c of grade inflation)? Of course, UVA isn't THAT level but you get my point.

This is my opinion of the whole situation. By the way, he asked if he could get in. He did not ask if he would succeed and that's a completely different discussion.

First of all, I think we can all agree that podiatry school has significantly lower admission standards than MD/DO programs. I visited the pre-podiatry advisor of my school and he told me that my school generally has 2 applicants per year to podiatry school. With that said, he's seen kids get in with below average credentials all the time. Last year, for example, a student applied with a 2.95 sGPA, 3.21 cGPA and a 27 MCAT. He got interviews everywhere and was admitted everywhere except DMU. Podiatry schools have avg. GPAs of between 3.0 and 3.4. Its an average, people with stats above and below the averages get in. Furthermore, I bet if schools were to publish the median GPA and MCAT score then it would be lower than the avg.

With that said, I think he has a good chance of getting in to most schools because of his MCAT.

As far as the whole GPA discussion, I have a hard time using it as an absolute measure of one's success in medical school. The level of difficulty varies so much between institutions. I am enrolled in a very competitive undergraduate science program. I have fairly low stats (3.0 sGPA, 3.2 cGPA), but if I had enrolled in a college with a lower tier science program then I can guarantee you that those numbers would be higher. For example, I did a short research stint at a college close by to my hometown. On more than one occasion the professors commented on my knowledge in a particular area of a subject for which they chose to eliminate from their own curriculum due to its difficulty. Or simply the fact that a MD school president commented that the students from my school are always included in the group of top performers in their medical school. Yes that's all anecdotal evidence that most of you will choose not to believe, and that's fine. However, what I am trying to say is that one can't always generalize and say "He got a 2.6 sGPA in undergrad, so he won't make it through medical school". That is absolute rubbish and seems to be the common belief from pods and pod students on here. It almost gives me the idea you're insecure about the fact that you are in/completed a program that attracts students with significantly lower stats than other medical programs. I certainly hope that is not the case, but its hard to not think that around here.

I'm not just saying this because my stats in particular are lower and I don't think pod school will be easy should I be admitted. I'm just saying that a low GPA or MCAT is not always indicative of failure. Furthermore, a high GPA or MCAT is not always indicative of success.

If someone wants to try to be a podiatrist then let him apply and make his own decisions. If he makes it through the program then good for him. If he doesn't, then at least he tried and he can move on in life with a little debt.

If you complete an assignment correctly, theoretically you should get an "A".

I think you're (superF) making the incorrect assumption that people are always striving for a 4.0. I know, as does everyone else, the level of effort I need to put in to get a desired result in a class. If the 3.5 CC student is striving for a 4.0 and he is honestly putting everything he's got into getting that 4.0 but comes short, then I agree with you. That being said, I don't know too many people striving for a 4.0 that are making an honest effort and don't succeed...

My question for you Frank: if you tried harder, could you have a better GPA?

My question for you Frank: if you tried harder, could you have a better GPA?

No, I feel I worked to the best of my ability my entire undergraduate career.

I had some adjustment issues my freshman year that hindered my academic performance, but I still worked very hard. I couldn't find a study technique that worked for me because I was so used to never studying in high school. When it came time to study in college, I was clueless.

I also just recently found study techniques that work really well for me so that partially explains why I've been doing better for my second half of undergrad.

Last edited:
Getting a 4.0 takes more then just determination on the part of the student. Blind luck has a big part in it among other factors.

Hmm... That's interesting. I really truthfully think that if someone puts 100% of themselves to getting a 4.0 they would get it. Do I have a 4.0? No, but I don't even come close to trying for one either...

Have you guys heard the story of the guru and the young business man in the ocean? If not, you should google it. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but Frank, did you REALLY devote your entire being to getting all "A's"? No drinking, parting, sleeping, social life, SDN, Facebook, skeet shooting, table tennis, or chasing tail?

That should say partying, not parting. This SDN app is cool, but I don't think I can edit my posts from it...

Hmm... That's interesting. I really truthfully think that if someone puts 100% of themselves to getting a 4.0 they would get it. Do I have a 4.0? No, but I don't even come close to trying for one either...

Have you guys heard the story of the guru and the young business man in the ocean? If not, you should google it. Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but Frank, did you REALLY devote your entire being to getting all "A's"? No drinking, parting, sleeping, social life, SDN, Facebook, skeet shooting, table tennis, or chasing tail?
I like your attitude and, "if you want it, you can get it", but you gotta face reality sometimes, champ.

take dating for instance. there are some people that just don't don't find you attractive. you can't force that. there are people who may think you're gorgeous. we don't always get what we want regardless of amount of time, effort. we can get close but there are limitations.

still like the attitude though :thumbup:

I like your attitude and, "if you want it, you can get it", but you gotta face reality sometimes, champ.

take dating for instance. there are some people that just don't don't find you attractive. you can't force that. there are people who may think you're gorgeous. we don't always get what we want regardless of amount of time, effort. we can get close but there are limitations.

still like the attitude though :thumbup:

Your attractiveness is intrinsic. How much you can learn is not. I understand that some people are smarter than others, but seriously, if someone gave 100% of their time to learning and nothing else, they could get A's. I guarantee it.

Your attractiveness is intrinsic. How much you can learn is not. I understand that some people are smarter than others, but seriously, if someone gave 100% of their time to learning and nothing else, they could get A's. I guarantee it.

Not even a little.

What I'm hearing is that those that don't succeed, don't try hard enough, and I have to disagree with that statement. Am I interpreting your comment incorrectly?

Do you have kids?

Or a significant other? Health problems? The human need for occasional sleep?

Trying is just a small portion of what it takes to get an A. It also requires good schedule planning and a little luck to name a few factors.

It is possible to try your butt off, learn the material inside and out and still get a C.

Trying is just a small portion of what it takes to get an A. It also requires good schedule planning and a little luck to name a few factors.

It is possible to try your butt off, learn the material inside and out and still get a C.
O yeah definitely. You wont believe how many teams fellow students say things like I spent x* amount of hours studying for that test only to get a 70. It isn't because they needed to study more hours. Problem? their studying method was probably off. It happens. Their time management could be awful.

I cut down ALL non-academic activity at one point during freshman year. I devoted everything 100% to academics. I didn't even get a 3.0 that semester (got less). You telling me, I shouldn't have slept at all but studied literally 24/7 and I would have gotten a 4.0? Don't think so. The reasons I flopped:
1. my studying techniques let me down
2. time management was piss poor
-------------------------------
3. had some depression issues so I stopped focusing on academics 100%

quality > quantity.
*x = is relative. but in most cases, it was for MANY hours, days - weeks.

Your anecdote that you told us to google was concerning ANYTHING in life not just academics that's why I gave that example.

But fine, I'll keep it on academics:
One, I don't think some are smarter than others. Two, the amount of time you devote to learning certainly is a factor, but it's not a guarantee for good grades. Other things also come into play.

Are you kidding me! You will have no problem what-so-ever!!!!! You might be over qualified compared to several of my classmates. Pod school is pretty much a joke and I can't wait till
I'm gone!

Are you kidding me! You will have no problem what-so-ever!!!!! You might be over qualified compared to several of my classmates. Pod school is pretty much a joke and I can't wait till
I'm gone!

Wait, so you're still in Podiatry School but are moving into Allopathic medicine? If it's such a joke, you should be at the top of your class, will have your pick for the top residencies, and then have the pick for the top spot in an Ortho practice making $400K a year. What's your problem?? I would be thrilled to be in your shoes.

Yet here you are, bashing on every thread, making a spectacle of yourself. Grow up and go somewhere else please.

Absolutely :D I think it's clear to all that Kidsfeet is a genius for leaving Canada though. As for max, yeah, in my rebirth as a serious student, there's never been a class I've never been able to be #1 in. But I guarantee as the stakes get higher, the courses get harder, and eventually you won't be able to obtain that 4.0

I mean... if you know the material inside and out, you won't get a C unless it is impossible to get an "A." If you know the answer to a question the test asks, you'll get it right....

Also, trying is just a SMALL portion? If you don't try/study you're right - you'll only get a small portion of questions right....

O yeah definitely. You wont believe how many teams fellow students say things like I spent x* amount of hours studying for that test only to get a 70. It isn't because they needed to study more hours. Problem? their studying method was probably off. It happens. Their time management could be awful.

I cut down ALL non-academic activity at one point during freshman year. I devoted everything 100% to academics. I didn't even get a 3.0 that semester (got less). You telling me, I shouldn't have slept at all but studied literally 24/7 and I would have gotten a 4.0? Don't think so. The reasons I flopped:
1. my studying techniques let me down
2. time management was piss poor
-------------------------------
3. had some depression issues so I stopped focusing on academics 100%

quality > quantity.
*x = is relative. but in most cases, it was for MANY hours, days - weeks.

I think you missed the point... if you gave yourself 100% to learning the material, there would be no "time management" because all you would be doing is studying.... how could you have poor time management if all you were doing was studying...

Not even a little.

What I'm hearing is that those that don't succeed, don't try hard enough, and I have to disagree with that statement. Am I interpreting your comment incorrectly?

Do you have kids?

No kids, why do you ask?

Barring mental illness, in the classroom, yes. If you can't get A's in class, and you don't have a mental disease, you are not committing yourself to the cause as much as you could be.

"Life success" has a whole sociological aspect that I won't get into. The classroom generally does not have this affect unless the teacher is biased in their grading - which would be the exception, not the rule.

I think you missed the point... if you gave yourself 100% to learning the material, there would be no "time management" because all you would be doing is studying.... how could you have poor time management if all you were doing was studying...
remember you're taking more than one class. more than one credit. you spend time in lectures and possibly lab. not to mention you need time to sleep, eat, shower. some classes might require you to do things outside the class like attend concerts, shows, visit to places. group work. all of this takes time. on top of this, you have assignments. so the times that's left, suppose you do absolutely nothing. no parties, friends, nada. you're left with a good 8 hours or so (weekdays). you're taking about 5 classes. you can't spend all 8 hours on one class. you have to spread it out. this is where time management comes in.

No kids, why do you ask?

Barring mental illness, in the classroom, yes. If you can't get A's in class, and you don't have a mental disease, you are not committing yourself to the cause as much as you could be.

"Life success" has a whole sociological aspect that I won't get into. The classroom generally does not have this affect unless the teacher is biased in their grading - which would be the exception, not the rule.
you don't have a 4.0 do you? you don't spend all day studying do you?

Nope, I don't have a 4.0. And I don't study all day. I never claimed to even put half the effort necessary to get a 4.0.

When you have kids, one of your roles as a parent is to recognize their strengths and help them achieve regardless of their weaknesses (within reason).

It is easy to tell whether a child has a knack for something, and is a "natural". I know brilliant engineers, and when they start talking, even though I know they are speaking English, I have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

I know my daughter has a physical limitation and probably will never be a surgeon but has such an acute sense of awareness, she will probably do something great. But if she sucks at math, should I tell her she's just not trying hard enough?? Been there done that with my Dad, and I'll tell you it makes people bitter and resentful.

Totally disagree with this statement.

So everyone can be a doctor but they chose not to be?

When you have kids, one of your roles as a parent is to recognize their strengths and help them achieve regardless of their weaknesses (within reason).

It is easy to tell whether a child has a knack for something, and is a "natural". I know brilliant engineers, and when they start talking, even though I know they are speaking English, I have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

I know my daughter has a physical limitation and probably will never be a surgeon but has such an acute sense of awareness, she will probably do something great. But if she sucks at math, should I tell her she's just not trying hard enough?? Been there done that with my Dad, and I'll tell you it makes people bitter and resentful.

Well, I don't have children, so I don't know my stance on how to raise them, but I would be extremely hesitant to tell my child (unless it is physically impossible - like an illness, accident, etc.) that they did not have the "aptitude" to do something.

Totally disagree with this statement.

So everyone can be a doctor but they chose not to be?

Every "normal" human has the capabilities to become a doctor, yes. Regardless if they are making that decision consciously or subconsciously, they do have the skills necessary. It might not be easy, it might not be fun, people might hate you, you might not be a successful doctor (like you hate people or something), but everyone can learn the material to pass boards and graduate.

Anyone is reading this post I am typing right now is NOT giving it 100%. You are wasting your time reading trivial threads on SDN. That's the point I'm trying to make.