New to Pre-Podiatry...what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every "normal" human has the capabilities to become a doctor, yes. Regardless if they are making that decision consciously or subconsciously, they do have the skills necessary.

Do you know this intuitively, making assumptions or have data to back up this claim?

Have you ever taken any psychology courses?

Your blanket statement of every "normal" human has the capability to academic excellence is a very interesting stance.

Members don't see this ad.

If your theory is everyone can, you need evidence or more specifically, lack of evidence for the opposing view. Also, how are you able to justify this if you can't even use anecdotal evidence (yourself) to support it. It seems like you didn't get the grade that you want, and are comforting yourself a bit with the idea that you didn't work hard enough. It is a BIG jump to go from "I got a B because I didn't work hard enough" to "If I work hard enough, I WILL get an A"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior at the University of Virginia and I'm majoring in Biology and Psychology. My cumulative GPA is 3.059 and my science GPA is 2.876. My MCAT score is 31 (11PS, 10VR, 10BS). I've volunteered for 3 years at a hospital and I'm also planning on obtaining my EMT-B shortly. I've also interned at a Physical Therapy clinic for a summer.

Am I a competitive candidate for Podiatry schools?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Do you know this intuitively, making assumptions or have data to back up this claim?

Your blanket statement of every "normal" human has the capability to academic excellence is a very interesting stance.

They did a study once that the lowest IQ of doctors studied was 105 and the highest was around 130. The study also found that most research professors had IQs greater than 130. Although for obvious reasons the study is flawed, it does imply that hard working individuals with average IQs can become doctors, which essentially backs up this guy's argument.

If your theory is everyone can, you need evidence or more specifically, lack of evidence for the opposing view. Also, how are you able to justify this if you can't even use anecdotal evidence (yourself) to support it. It seems like you didn't get the grade that you want, and are comforting yourself a bit with the idea that you didn't work hard enough. It is a BIG jump to go from "I got a B because I didn't work hard enough" to "If I work hard enough, I WILL get an A"

I mean... I don't work that hard. I think I studied for all of like 20 hours last semester and my GPA is still significantly higher than pod school matriculants (Wikipedia says matriculant is a word, so no hating). My course load was easy with only two science courses, but I have never felt in my life that I didn't get the grade that I earned. Honestly, no joke. One of the biggest reasons I'm planning on pod school is so that I can have an enjoyable undergraduate experience. Believe me, I don't need comforting in the grades I get, because I know the effort I put in, and I know the grades I get, and I am satisfied with them.

Carol Dweck, the Lewis and Virginia Eaton Professor of Psychology at Stanford University (maybe you've heard of it), PhD from Yale (maybe you've heard of it), past professor at Columbia University (maybe you've heard of it), and Harvard University (maybe you've heard of it), agrees with me. She's done loads of research and has published many books on the topic. Here is a website for her book: http://mindsetonline.com

Also, read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell a multiple-time author of books at the top of the New York Times bestsellers list.

Obviously, I am in no place to tell you how to parent, but Dr. Dweck's research suggests that what you mentioned in an earlier post about telling if a child is a "natural" at something is actually terrible for the cognitive future/growth of that child. I don't mean to undermine your parenting, but it might be an interesting read for you - everyone likes to be challenged mentally!

Anyone is reading this post I am typing right now is NOT giving it 100%. You are wasting your time reading trivial threads on SDN. That's the point I'm trying to make.
:laugh: :thumbup: hats off to yah, champ. lol. good one. I'm aware I'm not giving it 100% though.

You HAVE to justify this comment. I will never be an Einstein (duh!). Why not, if I'm just as smart as he was?
everyone learns differently and certain circumstances come into play here. biologically, are people born smarter than others? I used to think some people were just wicked smart and possessed a gift or something and you could never be like them. then I realized something. kids who go to HYPS are "normal" people like the rest of us. they study like we all do. they fail exams like we all do. what's the difference? they're over achievers. they push themselves, and they've got solid academic backgrounds. this one girl who turned down an acceptance to Columbia told me that as a child, her dad didn't allow her to watch t.v. at all. He would wake her up at 5 in the morning and she would practice algebra and science until about late in the evening. (of course there were breaks in between). so it's no mystery this such a girl would grow up and find subjects like calc very easy. she spent her entire early years doing nothing but MASTERING the basics.

another supposed, "genuis" who doesn't even use a calculator. he's a good friend of mine. told me himself, as a child, he did nothing but learn from math texts inside out. so is it a mystery that he's ripping through math problems?

Mozart VERY good musician. but let's not forget from the time he could walk, talk, all this boy did was eat, sleep, music, repeat. time devoted to something certainly is a factor. (not sure it's a guaranteed 4.0 though :laugh:). from all these people I concluded that, people that we think are untouchable (intellectually) are really no different than us. people aren't born with bigger brains than others are they? that's why I made my statement.

I used to wonder why I would study and a friend wouldn't study as much and he'd get higher grades than me. then I discovered, it's like a review for him, because he learned it already at some point.

But I would like to throw it out there though. it's possible that I can devote every waking second of my time to music for the next 15 years to music and I still wouldn't be a Mozart. but, again, there's nothing biologically that suggests that people are (naturally) smarter than others. we're born not knowing anything. we acquire and gain knowledge as we get older.

I'd like to hear your side, please.

Obviously, I am in no place to tell you how to parent, but Dr. Dweck's research suggests that what you mentioned in an earlier post about telling if a child is a "natural" at something is actually terrible for the cognitive future/growth of that child. I don't mean to undermine your parenting, but it might be an interesting read for you - everyone likes to be challenged mentally!

Interesting. My wife has a master's degree in elementary education and disagrees with this.

Also, what's interesting about raising kids is there is no instruction manual. Even the most up to date research and methods can't fully prepare you for the life you create and work at molding. It would be very interesting to me to create a computer program to simulate all these "methods" to raise children and input all the variables (nature vs. nurture) and see how the simulated child actually turns out.

Last edited:
there's nothing biologically that suggests that people are (naturally) smarter than others. we're born not knowing anything. we acquire and gain knowledge as we get older.

I bet there is plenty of research out there that disproves this theory. I also bet there is equally as much saying that your statement is accurate. I personally don't believe it, but haven't read all the literature and am not sure it would change my mind about this topic one way or the other. I'm stubborn that way. It's in my genetic makeup:D.

so you telling me you don't want a 4.0? :D

Lol, I want a million dollars too, but I recognize that my decisions won't lead me to a place that provides a 4.0. I mean, sure, if it fell into my lap, I'd take it, but I don't see that happening based on my current study habits devotion. It's not prioritized as number 1 in my life.

Every "normal" human has the capabilities to become a doctor, yes. Regardless if they are making that decision consciously or subconsciously, they do have the skills necessary. It might not be easy, it might not be fun, people might hate you, you might not be a successful doctor (like you hate people or something), but everyone can learn the material to pass boards and graduate.

I don't know about this. I know some pretty ******ed people...