New To Sdn And I Need Advice!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperTex

SuperTex
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole dental thing right now and I'm starting to do my research on various dental schools across the nation, the DAT and just finding out basic knowledge. At the current moment my major concern right now is my GPA, which is terrible at the current moment but, I have three years left in school and I plan on improving it tremendously. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say what it is even though none of you know me but, I will say it is around the 2.5 area. I know I can't get a 4.0 or a 3.8 or whatever but i'm at least trying to get it into the 3.3-3.5 range if possible. Do you think if the admissions commitees saw that I worked hard and went from a 2.5 to a 3.3 or anything in that range they would see I'm hard working and dedicated and I'm serious about becoming a Dentist?? I'm going to retake the courses I got C's in and get A's or B's so that should help my GPA and look good to them I think. I haven't taken the DAT so I can't give any info on that but, with a 3.3 GPA would a 19 or 20 be good enough score for the DAT?? By the way I'm a Texas resident and I really want to attend Baylor College of Dentisty in my future. Please help me out if you can guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole dental thing right now and I'm starting to do my research on various dental schools across the nation, the DAT and just finding out basic knowledge. At the current moment my major concern right now is my GPA, which is terrible at the current moment but, I have three years left in school and I plan on improving it tremendously. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say what it is even though none of you know me but, I will say it is around the 2.5 area. I know I can't get a 4.0 or a 3.8 or whatever but i'm at least trying to get it into the 3.3-3.5 range if possible. Do you think if the admissions commitees saw that I worked hard and went from a 2.5 to a 3.3 or anything in that range they would see I'm hard working and dedicated and I'm serious about becoming a Dentist?? I'm going to retake the courses I got C's in and get A's or B's so that should help my GPA and look good to them I think. I haven't taken the DAT so I can't give any info on that but, with a 3.3 GPA would a 19 or 20 be good enough score for the DAT?? By the way I'm a Texas resident and I really want to attend Baylor College of Dentisty in my future. Please help me out if you can guys.

You'll be fine if you do what you say you you're going to do.

I'd say do this:

After the next year of near 4.0 grades, call up the school and give them your story. I doubt they'll say anything but "Good progress, keep it up, volunteer and shadow and youll have a great shot"

Don't let your bad past hold you back. Just remember it's always there and you must compensate by being excellent in other areas of your application.

If you really have your heart set on Baylor, try doing one of their summer enrichment programs. I hear it's pretty good.

Also, Baylor has a post-bacc program for dental applicants that don't get accepted to their school the first time around. They take 8-10 people from my understanding. One of my friends was accepted to it this summer. She is taking a DAT prep course this summer through the post-bacc program. All students must get an 18AA to be considered for automatic admission the following year. Then she takes classes at UTD or UNT. All students in the program have to maintain a certain GPA (not sure what it is, maybe a 3.3). If they meet these requirements, then they are guaranteed admission into BCD for the next class. Only thing is, you can't apply to any other schools during the post-bacc program.

What I mentioned is kind of a worst-case scenario option. If you do as you mentioned you should stand a great chance as a first-time applicant. But, this is also something to keep in mind if things do not work out for the best. You have a long road ahead of you, but if you stay motivated and work hard, a 3.3-3.5 GPA and a solid DAT score will be great.