New to SDN and Pre-pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunterxp1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself since its my first time in SDN. Im a undergrad student in my first semester in college. I was origanally a premed student but decided that being a doctor isnt my thing.

So now my now goal is to do two years in my undergrad to finish my prereqs. for pharmacy and then transfer to pharmacy school. My gpa this semester isnt really good since I'm still suffering from senioritis from high school senior year :p, but i plan to do really well next semester.

I was wondering how competitive is pharmacy school? Is it as competitive as med school? Whats considered a good gpa and pcat?

Sorry for the long post and have a good one.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to introduce myself since its my first time in SDN. Im a undergrad student in my first semester in college. I was origanally a premed student but decided that being a doctor isnt my thing.

So now my now goal is to do two years in my undergrad to finish my prereqs. for pharmacy and then transfer to pharmacy school. My gpa this semester isnt really good since I'm still suffering from senioritis from high school senior year :p, but i plan to do really well next semester.

I was wondering how competitive is pharmacy school? Is it as competitive as med school? Whats considered a good gpa and pcat?

Sorry for the long post and have a good one.

It depends on where you apply and whether it's a public school or a private school.

But at my school, they usually interview 250-300 for 120 seats. The average GPA is around 3.6 and average PCAT is 75-80.

Usually if you have 3.5+ GPA, it's competitive, and 80+ PCAT is also competitive. If you get 90+ PCAT, then it's definitely a great score and you do not need to take the PCAT again.

One thing I would recommend is to take some upper level science courses in biology, chemistry, or biochemistry to see what it's like to keep yourself busy with very detailed and advanced material so that you can see what it would be like to take courses like MedChem and Medical Physiology in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on where you apply and whether it's a public school or a private school.

But at my school, they usually interview 250-300 for 120 seats. The average GPA is around 3.6 and average PCAT is 75-80.

Usually if you have 3.5+ GPA, it's competitive, and 80+ PCAT is also competitive. If you get 90+ PCAT, then it's definitely a great score and you do not need to take the PCAT again.

One thing I would recommend is to take some upper level science courses in biology, chemistry, or biochemistry to see what it's like to keep yourself busy with very detailed and advanced material so that you can see what it would be like to take courses like MedChem and Medical Physiology in pharmacy school.

How do you like UAMS?

How do you like UAMS?

I like it actually. I've lived in Arkansas for so long now, so I've gotten used to how people are and I know what to expect from them when I ask for opinions and ideas. About 95% of my class is from Arkansas.

I like it actually. I've lived in Arkansas for so long now, so I've gotten used to how people are and I know what to expect from them when I ask for opinions and ideas. About 95% of my class is from Arkansas.

Yeah, I was born and raised here. I like Arkansas and would like to go to UAMS. I used to transport people up there when I was a part-time medic.

Yeah, I was born and raised here. I like Arkansas and would like to go to UAMS. I used to transport people up there when I was a part-time medic.

That sounds really cool. If you have any specific questions about UAMS, you can PM me. But most of the things I know about UAMS are about pharmacy school, so keep that in mind.

That sounds really cool. If you have any specific questions about UAMS, you can PM me. But most of the things I know about UAMS are about pharmacy school, so keep that in mind.

Cool. Thanks.