New to sdn!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDerhammer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls. I am actually a first year college student studying Biochemistry at Indiana University. I'm really interested in emergency medicine, and I have already spent a day shadowing an orthopedic surgeon, and plan on continuing shadowing with him for months to come. He is actually the Notre Dame football team physician. Anyways, I was wondering what most med school's ask for and want. I have currently a 4.0 G.P.A. that's obviously subject to change. I also like to read med school textbooks in my spare time, because I am just interested (Emergency Medical Procedures 2003, Clinical Neuroanatomy, Essential Neuroscience, etc.). So I am just wondering, what does it take, and is it a sound goal for an A-B student. Thanks for any feedback

EDIT: I am going to apply at:
-Indiana University School of Medicine at Notre Dame
-Purdue
-Yale
-Stanford
-Maryland
-Northwestern
-Anywhere else that has a good Med Program

Indiana U School of Medicine is cemented in my mind so if anyone has any feedback on that school, the curriculum or anything let me know please! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are putting the cart WAY before the horse. Not only are you wasting reading medical books, you probably don't really understand what they say. You already have a specialty picked out. Slow down. Slow way down. Enjoy college, get As. Take one step at a time. You are a first year college student with a 4.0? You haven't had any grades. You have 3 years before you apply. Lurk around here and figure out what needs to be done to get in. You have time.

I think that I read that 1/4 of all freshman that say they want to be doctors actually get in to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guy's... And i know I am thinking about it wayyyyyyyyyy to early, I'm just so fascinated by anatomy, biology, and chem classes that i like to just take a peek at what I am doing. Also we had/have midterms last week, this week, and next week. So far I got 3 A's on my midterm's and check my grades constantly and have all A's right now. Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: No I don't think they have a med school but IPUFW does if I'm not mistaken (Indiana Purdue University at Fort Wayne). I do know, however, that Purdue has a great nursing program.

As a fellow Biochemistry major (junior) at IU I sent you some advice. Check your PM's.

Purdue does not have a medical school. There is a satellite location of IU at Purdue, but it is IU, and not Purdue tied.