New to the field of Nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpiritBender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good night everyone I am seriously considering becoming an Mental Health RN however as I have now learned there are several ways to go about doing that.

When i will apply I will have a BA & MA in Psychology would it be better for me to go the BSN route or the ASN route? I have not taken the science pre-reqs yet but once that is done i don't know which option would be better for me.

Are ASN RNs looked down on in the field??

Are there any certain criteria once should look for when picking nursing schools? So far i have been looking at NCLEX-RN passing rates.

Are there any schools in the West LA area that people recommend or absolutely hate? I am looking at:

Mount Saint Mary's College
Cal State LA
Biola University
LA College of Nursing and Allied Health
Los Angeles City College
Santa Monica College

I want to ultimately do Mental Health nursing would i need to have a specialized certificate for that or just become an RN then apply to Behavioral Health Units that need nurses?

Sorry for the barrage of questions the more i look into this the more my passion is growing :love: except for O Chem :(

Members don't see this ad.

There are all kinds of programs in nursing now. You'd have to check them out at different schools and see what they offer. I'd go straight for BSN program cause you might want to wind up as an NP some day.

You can just apply at a psych unit that has openings.

Well regardless of your BSN or not, in response to your last comment it won't actually require to to take O chem.

Like poster above me, eventually you will just find a pysch job opening and apply.