New to this kind of thing..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meen2603

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello you all.. I'm international student and I'm new in this kind of thing. I need help really. I'm interested in Orthopaedics but I don't know what's the different between DO and MD.. ARe they both considered Physician? I know that DO is about the bone but If I'm interested to be a surgeon which one should I go.. Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

Hello you all.. I'm international student and I'm new in this kind of thing. I need help really. I'm interested in Orthopaedics but I don't know what's the different between DO and MD.. ARe they both considered Physician? I know that DO is about the bone but If I'm interested to be a surgeon which one should I go.. Thanks in advance..

This has been covered so many times on the boards it's unreal. I think there are probably 3 threads about MD vs DO on the main page alone, not to mention the sticky at the top of the page, and the FAQ/Search function.

Both are physicians in the US (check international practice rights if you want to practice somewhere else), DOs have nothing to do with 'the bone' ... despite what the osteo thing might suggest (DOs have more training in musc/skel systems and learn OMM - which kinda go hand in hand, but they aren't bone doctors).

DO's are usually refered to as witch doctors who practice vodoo and cast spells. They only consider physician an md

Members don't see this ad :)
I still need the answer which way I should go for.. MD or DO If I want to do ortho residency?

please, spare the rest of us and do your own research and come up with your own decision. your international status does not exempt you from being able to do a search and make a decision based on what you know...step up and stop asking for others to think for you.

Ok sorry about that.. I'm just not familiar with DO degree since my country don't have one. I did some research and I still don't get it how's it different? That's why I need people with this degree explain to me clearly in order to make a decision base on real experince not just what I know..

Ok sorry about that.. I'm just not familiar with DO degree since my country don't have one. I did some research and I still don't get it how's it different? That's why I need people with this degree explain to me clearly in order to make a decision base on real experince not just what I know..

I agree with Jwalker, do your own research and then ask more specific questions based on that. Honestly, the fact that you dont know the differences between D.O. and a M.D. indicates that you dont know anything about the medical profession. If your one of those guys that doesnt know the basics about being a physican, then you dont deserve to be a doctor of any kind.

On SDN try typing these into the Search field:

MD vs DO
osteopathic medicine
Orthopedic Residencies

Try these other websites:

www.aacom.org - theres plenty of info here...you need to navigate through the website.

Seriously, google and search on sdn should give you more information than any one of us are willing to post on this thread, because it has been beaten to death so many times. You really havent done much research, as theres a plethora of matieral out there...try wikipedia!

beat you to it :cool:

On SDN try typing these into the Search field:

MD vs DO
osteopathic medicine
Orthopedic Residencies

Try these other websites:

www.aacom.org - theres plenty of info here...you need to navigate through the website.

Seriously, google and search on sdn should give you more information than any one of us are willing to post on this thread, because it has been beaten to death so many times. You really havent done much research, as theres a plethora of matieral out there...try wikipedia!

My favorite explanation so far, courtesy of TexasTriathlete:

"As a DO, I am trained in the ancient healing arts of the ninja" :D

Exactlyyyyyyyyy,
-In the united states DOs are trained the exact same was as MDs except they learn more about musc/skel system and Osteopathic Manipulation (a tool used to better treat patients).
- Specialize in same types of medicine
- No difference in practice rights
-etc etc etc

It's difficult to see the difference sometimes ... but you really need to understand it before applying to osteopathic schools in my opinion.

meen2603 ~

In the United States, medically speaking, a DO is the equivalent of an MD, they both get the same exact practice rights, and thier salaries (for the same specialties of course) is the same as well....

So, "technically" speaking, they are the same.

However, there are some small differences, umm, there are alot more MD residencies available for the MD graduates than there are from DO. But the good news is, a DO graduate can apply to those MD residencies.

Other differences are, COMLEX (DO) vs USMLE (MD),
advantage/disadvante of this are that DO students HAVE to take the COMLEX and if they wish, they can also take the USMLE (esspecially if they want to land a more competitive MD residency ~ like orthopedic surg)..... the crappy part is: who the hell wants to take multiple boards exams

I wanted to ask you, when you say ur international student, do you mean you've earned your MD from another country?