Hemichordate

Peds
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi guys,

I could really use your advice! I'm an international relations major 3.6 overal but only a 3.28 science! I got a few Cs, too many B's. I managed to get a 40 on my Mcat, and tones of volunteer and research exp. But because of my sooo low science GPA, will I even stand a chance?? Should I not even apply??

Thanks everyone :)
:idea:

Yes, you'll be fine.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys,

I could really use your advice! I'm an international relations major 3.6 overal but only a 3.28 science! I got a few Cs, too many B's. I managed to get a 40 on my Mcat, and tones of volunteer and research exp. But because of my sooo low science GPA, will I even stand a chance?? Should I not even apply??

Thanks everyone :)
Nice :thumbup: and yes you should apply.

Edit: NEXT CYCLE. Just clarifying.

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks guys but I've just been reading so many horror stories about low gpas high mcat scores don't mean anything. Especially because I am not a science major, I don't want it to look like I'm just sucky in my sciences. I've taking my basic pre-recs plus classes like genetics, biochem, bacterio, immuno but I feel like without that 3.6,3.7 science I'll have an uphill battle.

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys but I've just been reading so many horror stories about low gpas high mcat scores don't mean anything. Especially because I am not a science major, I don't want it to look like I'm just sucky in my sciences. I've taking my basic pre-recs plus classes like genetics, biochem, bacterio, immuno but I feel like without that 3.6,3.7 science I'll have an uphill battle.
First off Jessica3031, Congrats on the 40!!
If I were you I would definetely apply next cycle, no doubt
Btw, what did you do to study? did you use books or courses like Kaplan, Princeton review

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd rather go the osteo route than go carribean...

In terms of studying, I gave myself about two solid months, I used books, not a course (but I bought the 8 practice tests) and I made crazyyyy flashcards. I think over 600, and so the first 2/3 weeks it was like just learning facts. Once I knew the 'facts,' I started just doing practice tests. Hope that helps, goodluck with your Mcat if you haven't taken it yet!

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student

In terms of studying, I gave myself about two solid months, I used books, not a course (but I bought the 8 practice tests) and I made crazyyyy flashcards. I think over 600, and so the first 2/3 weeks it was like just learning facts. Once I knew the 'facts,' I started just doing practice tests. Hope that helps, goodluck with your Mcat if you haven't taken it yet!
You would be correct in doing so. This would probably be the biggest favor you could do yourself if it came to this choice.

That said, a 3.6 cumulative is not at all bad, even with a near 3.3 BCPM, and I think you'll have good chances at many MD schools if that's your goal.

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student

Nice, go post in the mcat section to give those people some pointers. What was your trend like (bad grades --> good grades)? How many C's/D's/F's?

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Nice, go post in the mcat section to give those people some pointers. What was your trend like (bad grades --> good grades)? How many C's/D's/F's?

The problem is it wasn't a trend, I got a C in gen chem and cell bio and calc 1. And just tooo many B's! I got a B in genetics, bacterio, immuno, and both orgos and other classes that I can't really think of. This isn't really a trend since I took these classes throughout my undergrad, i'm currently a senior. I'm hoping if I apply early as soon as apps open nxt year, i would still have a shot at in-state schools. I calculated my osteo GPA and it is 3.4 since it doesn't count math classes.

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You would be correct in doing so. This would probably be the biggest favor you could do yourself if it came to this choice.

Do you mean that I should go to osteo over carribean?? That's like the great debate, lol but I do def agree with you!

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Any chance of taking some upper-level Bio next term and getting As so you do establish an upward BCPM grade trend before applying?

I'm signed up for medical chem, comp. anatomy and this intro to research class (thats a 200 level tho) Hopefully that would be good enough....

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I'm signed up for medical chem, comp. anatomy and this intro to research class (thats a 200 level tho) Hopefully that would be good enough....
Just get A's! Make your job like getting a 40 on the mcat...

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Those sound good, though I'm not clear on why you need more research, if you already have "tons." If you could manage some As, even if you have to cut your courseload and ECs some to accomplish it, the higher grades will reassure more adcoms that you have what it takes to excel in their curriculum. I think some MD schools will give you attention as you are, but that some terminal As on the transcript have the chance of giving you more schools to pick from.

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
Well first of all...fantastic score. Not too many people get that score.
the MCAT score is in the range of top tier schools.

I would recommend take additional science courses to show an upward trend.

Overall, if you have a solid GPA, great EC's/clnical or non-clinical exposure, Great LORs, you'll be fine for a lot of schools.

You still stand a chance for a lot, so apply.

Jul 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You will have a chance at sooo many MDs with that mcat. Apply to a DO or two just to make sure you get in, but as long as you apply broadly, you'll definitely be fine at MD

OP
J
Dec 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry I should of started the thread there, my apologies.

I'm taking the research class because its with a prof. I love, and she said that there is potential for a job through the class for my year off.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.