MD & DO New to this site. What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBayarea408

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would very much appreciate what you guys think my chances are and just general opinions.

Background:

-23 year old male Biology major from California. Attended community college and UCSB. Father is east indian descent. Mother is mostly white but is around 1/4-1/8 native american. I am trying to get her to get her records of this so I can legally put that I am at least 1/8 native american. I plan to apply in June 2017 for both MD and DO schools. I am unsure on what MD schools I can qualify and I am confident that I will qualify for DO schools.

Academics:
-Recently took the MCAT and scored a 510 with a 129(P/C), 124(verbal =[...), 129(Bio), 128 (psych)

-Overall GPA is 3.55 and science GPA is 3.67 with a large upward trend. Took stats in freshman year failed and retook with an A so that might affect my GPA for MD schools. Received a W in physics sophomore year and retook and got an A

Letters of Rec. from 2 science teachers, 1 ER volunteer coordinator, 2 physician LOR (1 DO, 1 MD)

Research:

-Did about 9 months of research in a biological lab in college but but no papers published. Hopefully going to start a research for a professor at another UC in northern California.

Clinical Experience:
2000+ hours as an ER scribe at a very busy hospital in the Bay Area
50 hours of shadowing (can increase this number if need be)

Volunteering and Extra Activities :

-Around 350 hours of ER volunteering
- 1 Foreign aid trip to central america
-several other non medical volunteer activities such as Red Cross and volunteering for a local beach community clean up weekly
-Tutoring Intro Biology at my college and Community college
-Helped start a social media account that has turned into a business
-Extensive travel all over the world that has aided to my growth as a person

Members don't see this ad.

All CA applicants need a strategic OOS list.
Look for private schools with a median around 31.
With no validated commitment to service to the native community, there may be relatively little boost from your Mother's research...

Reactions: 1 users
All CA applicants need a strategic OOS list.
Look for private schools with a median around 31.
With no validated commitment to service to the native community, there may be relatively little boost from your Mother's research...

I made a list for MD schools could you tell me what you think and what I should add. I am open to applying widely to DO schools but I would like to apply to the ones in CA, AZ, PA, NY, and FL (especially NOVA)
MD schools:

UC Riverside/Davis/Irvine- I know these are reaches.

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Drexel

Temple

Georgetown

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Jefferson

Loyola

George Washington

St Louis

Rush

Penn State

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would delete the ones that receive more than 10K applications (Drexel, GT,GW...).
Do you have the non-medical service hours for Rush?
If you are not from the IE, delete UCR.

My volunteering is not too good so far but I am trying to get around 400 total hours by June when I apply. What areas do you think I need to work on to impove my application? I am thinking of getting another clinical volunteer gig as well a volunteering at the homeless shelter by my house a few times a month as well as the Monterey bay aquarium for a couple hours a week.

Also I have been looking up more schools and would like to add these to my list. Do you think any of them are worth the shot?
USF
Tulane
Miami
Arizona

And also do you think I am a lock for most DO schools? My family lives in Ft lauderdale and I have been looking at Novasoutheastern college of osteopathic a lot lately and that is my #1 DO school of choice. Even though the averages say that I am competitive I have seen others with better stats unable to get into DO schools.

Thanks for all you advice.

You are above average for DO schools and could probably just apply to Western and Touro.
The AZ schools are good for CA applicants.
It is my observation that Miami tends to take the higher stats CA applicants.
I haven't had enough of my interviewees accepted at USF to know their receptivity to CA applicants.
Tulane is fine.

So i received an F in statistic freshman year at Community College and retook the class sophomore year at CC. I attempted to calculate my new GPA's (UC and CC together) with the F included in cumulative and science and got a 3.42c and a 3.48s... I also have a W in physics, spanish, and PE from community college as well because I had work and wanted to make sure I got good grades to transfer to a UC. My UC grades were much better and I never had a grade less than a B and never had a W. Do you think this significantly decreases my shot at schools? On my CC transcript it shows I did somewhat poor in easy classes like film studies, art, etc but well in harder classes. To reiterate by GPA's with out the F are 3.55c and 3.67s and showed large improvement from freshman->senior

You are above average for DO schools and could probably just apply to Western and Touro.
The AZ schools are good for CA applicants.
It is my observation that Miami tends to take the higher stats CA applicants.
I haven't had enough of my interviewees accepted at USF to know their receptivity to CA applicants.
Tulane is fine.

Can you read my message above and notify me if it will make a difference?^^^

Can you read my message above and notify me if it will make a difference?^^^
You are a good candidate for OOS schools that matriculate 15% and have a median MCAT around 31 (if that is your only MCAT).
Avoid mission-based schools and the ones with >10K applications, if you don't want to burn out needlessly.

A single F is not lethal. Even an entire bad year won't be lethal if the others are really, really good! Rising GPA trends are always good.

MD schools will not replace the F;

DO schools will, if you retake and do better.

So i received an F in statistic freshman year at Community College and retook the class sophomore year at CC. I attempted to calculate my new GPA's (UC and CC together) with the F included in cumulative and science and got a 3.42c and a 3.48s... I also have a W in physics, spanish, and PE from community college as well because I had work and wanted to make sure I got good grades to transfer to a UC. My UC grades were much better and I never had a grade less than a B and never had a W. Do you think this significantly decreases my shot at schools? On my CC transcript it shows I did somewhat poor in easy classes like film studies, art, etc but well in harder classes. To reiterate by GPA's with out the F are 3.55c and 3.67s and showed large improvement from freshman->senior

I would delete the ones that receive more than 10K applications (Drexel, GT,GW...).
Do you have the non-medical service hours for Rush?
If you are not from the IE, delete UCR.
Hey just an update. I will have around 350 hours of clinical volunteering, 2000+ hours of scribe experience, 50 hours of shadowing, and I have been working many hours at the local soup kitchen and will probably have around 150 by the time I apply plus a good LOR from the coordinator there. With all these EC's plus the research, do you think I have a shot at Rush?

Hey just an update. I will have around 350 hours of clinical volunteering, 2000+ hours of scribe experience, 50 hours of shadowing, and I have been working many hours at the local soup kitchen and will probably have around 150 by the time I apply plus a good LOR from the coordinator there. With all these EC's plus the research, do you think I have a shot at Rush?
150 service hours is less than I have seen from other successful Rush applicants, but you do have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I would just like to update you on my current situation and see what you think.....
This may sound weird, but through a friend of a friend of a friend, I recently have been going to meetings and conferences with the Associate Dean of one of the top 5 medical schools in the country/world (I won't say which one). We have really hit it off and are meeting once a week until I begin applying. We will be going to different medical conferences on campus and talking and discussing various topics and this person has promised to write me a very solid LOR. I feel like this person is really trying to help me get into medical school and is even giving me mock interviews and invaluable tips and information. I am wondering if this LOR and this persons connections to other medical schools will really help me get into an MD school or is GPA and MCAT really all that matter. Also, I am currently very close to obtaining my Native American tribal status and will start helping out with some volunteer effort across the country hopefully by March. I will not have hundreds of hours doing volunteer work for them but I will have some by the time I apply and will likely gain more over the course of this next year. Do you think this makes a large difference in my application as well. Just to clarify I am not volunteering for the sake of getting into med school I really enjoy doing it and am excited to get to know more about my cultural heritage. I really appreciate your answers and taking your time to help me out.
-Thank you
I'm glad you have found a mentor.

Reactions: 1 user
150 service hours is less than I have seen from other successful Rush applicants, but you do have a chance.

(Sorry for intercepting this thread) but I have a question gyngyn: the only "non clinical service/volunteering" I have is through Americorps (1700hours) however, I'll classify that as a paid position on my app. Will I still be ok for schools like Rush?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

(Sorry for intercepting this thread) but I have a question gyngyn: the only "non clinical service/volunteering" I have is through Americorps (1700hours) however, I'll classify that as a paid position on my app. Will I still be ok for schools like Rush?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You bet!

Reactions: 1 user
A single F is not lethal. Even an entire bad year won't be lethal if the others are really, really good! Rising GPA trends are always good.

MD schools will not replace the F;

DO schools will, if you retake and do better.

Hey, I have updated my school list and put maybes on the schools i am on the fence about. Just wanna get your opinion if its ok. Calculated my AAMCAS GPA for MD schools which was cGPA 3.43 and sGPA 3.47 ( got an F freshman year in math retook got an A) and my DO GPA would be cGPA 3.55 and sGPA 3.61. Rising after freshman year. 1500+ hours scribing, 200+ clinical volunteer, 200 non-clinical hours, and 510 MCAT (124 cars). I have included a list of DO schools. I am really leaning towards the CA ones, NSU, CCOM, and Touro NY (because I like NY). Do you have any advise for specific DO schools or other schools I should add or possibly take out? I am shadowing a DO this summer and will get a letter from them.

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
East Virginia Medical School
Temple
Eastern Michigan
Commonwealth university in Scranton PA
Tulane
University of Arizona phoenix
U of Arizona tucson
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Loyola
Rush
Drexel- Maybe
Penn State- MAYBE
Cooper- MAYBE
USF- MAYBE
Norhtstate- Confused about this school

DO schools
Western Pomona
Tuoro CA Vallejo
Tuoro NY
Nova South Eastern
Tuoro NV
PCOM
LECOM
LECOM-FL
AT Still- AZ
AZ-midwest
Midwestern-IL

Last edited:
Lists are good. Delete the following

Eastern Michigan
Penn State
Cooper
USF
Norhtstate

I was under the impression that EVMS and Commonwealth university were some of the schools I had a good shot at. Im in there GPA and MCAT range and I thought they were OOS friendly. Any other MD's to add? As for DO schools, is Touro NY worth going to?

Hey, I have updated my school list and put maybes on the schools i am on the fence about. Just wanna get your opinion if its ok. Calculated my AAMCAS GPA for MD schools which was cGPA 3.43 and sGPA 3.47 ( got an F freshman year in math retook got an A) and my DO GPA would be cGPA 3.55 and sGPA 3.61. Rising after freshman year. 1500+ hours scribing, 200+ clinical volunteer, 200 non-clinical hours, and 510 MCAT (124 cars). I have included a list of DO schools. I am really leaning towards the CA ones, NSU, CCOM, and Touro NY (because I like NY). Do you have any advise for specific DO schools or other schools I should add or possibly take out? I am shadowing a DO this summer and will get a letter from them.

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Temple
Eastern Michigan
Tulane
University of Arizona phoenix
U of Arizona tucson
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Loyola
Rush
Drexel- Maybe
Penn State- MAYBE
Cooper- MAYBE
USF- MAYBE
Norhtstate- Confused about this school

DO schools
Western Pomona
Tuoro CA Vallejo
Tuoro NY
Nova South Eastern
Tuoro NV
PCOM
LECOM
LECOM-FL
AT Still- AZ
AZ-midwest
Midwestern-IL

Add UVM and Drexel

Sorry. I wrote that while on my phone waiting for a blot to develop. KEEP EVMS!!! Since you're not from the Scranton area, it would be foolish to apply to TCMC. They are NOT OOS friendly.

I can't recommend Touro-NY for their unethical behavior in how they handled overbooking their 2016 entering class, and due to their poor COMLEX II pass rates, which are unacceptable for a now veteran school.

EDIT: add: PacNW, Western-OR, MUCOM, KCU, DMU, BCOM (maybe)

I was under the impression that EVMS and Commonwealth university were some of the schools I had a good shot at. Im in there GPA and MCAT range and I thought they were OOS friendly. Any other MD's to add? As for DO schools, is Touro NY worth going to?

Add UVM and Drexel
Isn't UVM favored for in state applicants? And for Drexel (and others such as Temple), I am worried that since so many people apply, i am not sure if my scores are good enough to even get a a secondary and I would just be wasting money.

Sorry. I wrote that while on my phone waiting for a blot to develop. KEEP EVMS!!! Since you're not from the Scranton area, it would be foolish to apply to TCMC. They are NOT OOS friendly.

I can't recommend Touro-NY for their unethical behavior in how they handled overbooking their 2016 entering class, and due to their poor COMLEX II pass rates, which are unacceptable for a now veteran school.

EDIT: add: PacNW, Western-OR, MUCOM, KCU, DMU, BCOM (maybe)

Thanks for the feedback.
For the DO schools, given my stats should I only apply to the ones I want that I am interested in going to or should I include my entire list just for back ups? Thanks for answering all my questions truly so helpful.

Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federally insured loans and payback mechanisms.
For this and other reasons I cannot recommend them.
Quick question, should I explain the reason why I got an F in my personal statement or should I not discuss it at all. I was going to get a C but did not want it to hurt my chances at transferring to a 4 year college so I got an F on purpose.

Quick question, should I explain the reason why I got an F in my personal statement or should I not discuss it at all. I was going to get a C but did not want it to hurt my chances at transferring to a 4 year college so I got an F on purpose.
Not in the PS. There is often another place for such explanations in the secondary.

Isn't UVM favored for in state applicants? And for Drexel (and others such as Temple), I am worried that since so many people apply, i am not sure if my scores are good enough to even get a a secondary and I would just be wasting money.

UVM is OOS friendly. There were plenty of California people when I interviewed there. Your stats are within range for Drexel, temple and all lower tier private schools.. I would apply to as many as possible, but it really just depends on how much money you can/are willing to spend. It's an expensive process.. every school you apply to you have >5% of getting accepted.

USF is out of state friendly. It has a program (SELECT), which takes in a lot of out of state applicants.