New Traffic Rules - Post Interview Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedlross23

Reaction score
So I know acceptances must all wait until October 15, but what about post interview rejections? Can those occur at anytime? In other words, say you interview at a school reasonably before October 15th (so that the committee has enough time to determine the status of your app (R vs A vs waitlist), if you were chosen to be rejected, would they inform you before-hand?

tldr; If you don't get any news from a school you interviewed at between the interview (let's say it was anytime before Oct. so that the committee has a chance to look at your application) and October 15th, does that mean you will be waking up to an A on the 15th?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't have to have a decision made by October 15th. I think you can be rejected anytime from now until March 15th and you can be accepted anytime from October 15th and March 15th. Silence doesn't really mean anything either way.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejections can occur at anytime, regardless of pre or post interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They don't have to have a decision made by October 15th. I think you can be rejected anytime from now until March 15th and you can be accepted anytime from October 15th and March 15th. Silence doesn't really mean anything either way.
Where is March 15th coming from? Last cycle, people were hearing right through the summer (As, Rs and WLs, and WLs converting to As and Rs), and some people never heard at all!

I might be wrong, but I thought the only hard deadline on decisions was that As couldn't go out before 10/15.

Where is March 15th coming from? Last cycle, people were hearing right through the summer (As, Rs and WLs, and WLs converting to As and Rs), and some people never heard at all!

I might be wrong, but I thought the only hard deadline on decisions was that As couldn't go out before 10/15.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think March 15th is when they have to say you are WL or R'd, but you are correct in saying no hard A deadline.

Or no?

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think March 15th is when they have to say you are WL or R'd, but you are correct in saying no hard A deadline.

Or no?
I don't know the official "rules" (since they eliminated the traffic rules, I don't think there are any rules at all, only suggestions or recommended protocols). I just remember last cycle, particularly on the WL support thread, a lot of people were complaining about not hearing anything at all deep into the summer, and being pissed that they didn't even get the courtesy of an R after going to the trouble and expense of applying. By the way, WL without a ranking or a tier is the same as not hearing at some schools because they WL everyone they don't accept, and if they don't tell you where you are on the WL, you are just as in the dark as if they didn't tell you anything.

• Wow

Or no?
This is for sure not true. By March 15th, all schools must hand out enough acceptances to fill their class. Many people receive decisions after March 15.

This is for sure not true. By March 15th, all schools must hand out enough acceptances to fill their class. Many people receive decisions after March 15.
Also sorry if that came accross as crass I in no way am trying to sound dickish-- I just was trying to convey that I do not believe that to be the case. That is for sure not true sounds harsh lol.

Also sorry if that came accross as crass I in no way am trying to sound dickish-- I just was trying to convey that I do not believe that to be the case. That is for sure not true sounds harsh lol.
No worries lol! But I think we are kinda on the same page but misunderstand. By Mar. 15th they have sent out enough As to fill their classes yes. But, since some will decline the offer later when they narrow it down (commit to enroll and all that), they WL the rest of applicants they didn't R. Then down the line, as applicants narrow their choices, they can pick people off the WL (leading to really late As)

No worries lol! But I think we are kinda on the same page but misunderstand. By Mar. 15th they have sent out enough As to fill their classes yes. But, since some will decline the offer later when they narrow it down (commit to enroll and all that), they WL the rest of applicants they didn't R. Then down the line, as applicants narrow their choices, they can pick people off the WL (leading to really late As)
Yes, you are 100% correct about what happens with people they interview. But there are apparently a whole bunch of people who don't get IIs or Rs until the cycle is over, so I am pretty sure @kimmy1994 was not correct in stating that an A or R (or WL) has to happen by 3/15. To my knowledge, there is no 3/15 (or any other) deadline at all for communicating decisions to applicants.

Yes, you are 100% correct about what happens with people they interview. But there are apparently a whole bunch of people who don't get IIs or Rs until the cycle is over, so I am pretty sure @kimmy1994 was not correct in stating that an A or R has to happen by 3/15. To my knowledge, there is no 3/15 deadline at all.
Gotcha gotcha. Have heard a bit about silent Rs. I dread the thought of em

Totally agree with everthing. What just saying... with drexel as an example... some people interview in February and March and wont hear by March 15 etc.

Gotcha gotcha. Have heard a bit about silent Rs. I dread the thought of em
Given what's in your signature, you are literally the last person in the world I would worry about having an R, silent or otherwise, derailing what is already looking like a historically successful application cycle. :)

I would trade my immersion in the minutia of the CYMS tool for your ability to put together what must be an amazing application (even if you might have applied to a few too many schools :)), in this or any future lifetime.

• Haha
What do you mean by silent R? Like they NEVER tell you? Or theyre silent and reject at end?
Yeah, what happens is some people never hear at all, and others don't hear after the interview. Most schools will A, R or WL after the interview (and either give you an II or an R before the interview), but a few just never get back to some candidates. It's a silent R as winter turns to spring and then summer, and you just never hear anything until classes start, if then. If you have other As, you tend to move on, but it looked like torture for the folks with no As who were holding out hope since they hadn't received an R (especially after an interview).

Most will reject by the time classes begin (or shortly thereafter), but not letting you know what's going on until then is pretty obnoxious, and giving you an R sometime between August and October of the year after you applied is no different than never telling you at all (which apparently also happens), so either one is referred to as a silent R.

Yeah, what happens is some people never hear at all, and others don't hear after the interview. Most schools will A, R or WL after the interview (and either give you an II or an R before the interview), but a few just never get back to some candidates. It's a silent R as winter turns to spring and then summer, and you just never hear anything until classes start, if then. If you have other As, you tend to move on, but it looked like torture for the folks with no As who were holding out hope since they hadn't received an R (especially after an interview).

Most will reject by the time classes begin (or shortly thereafter), but not letting you know what's going on until then is pretty obnoxious, and giving you an R sometime between August and October of the year after you applied is no different than never telling you at all (which apparently also happens), so either one is referred to as a silent R.
I think the silent R's are more rare than we thing. Personally, I heard from every school that pre-II rejected me last cycle!

Yes, you are 100% correct about what happens with people they interview. But there are apparently a whole bunch of people who don't get IIs or Rs until the cycle is over, so I am pretty sure @kimmy1994 was not correct in stating that an A or R (or WL) has to happen by 3/15. To my knowledge, there is no 3/15 (or any other) deadline at all for communicating decisions to applicants.
The last email I received from Penn State was to tell me my application was complete well over a year ago, lol.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Given what's in your signature, you are literally the last person in the world I would worry about having an R, silent or otherwise, derailing what is already looking like a historically successful application cycle. :)

I would trade my immersion in the minutia of the CYMS tool for your ability to put together what must be an amazing application (even if you might have applied to a few too many schools :)), in this or any future lifetime.
Lol thanks so much! But hey I'm sure you are going to do well too!! One II or 20, all it takes is one A :)

Lol thanks so much! But hey I'm sure you are going to do well too!! One II or 20, all it takes is one A :)
True, but as evidenced by your prodigious application output despite your off-the-charts stats, SDN scores, and, I'm sure, ECs, anxiety is high until you first have any A, and then have one you REALLY want! :)

I think the silent R's are more rare than we thing. Personally, I heard from every school that pre-II rejected me last cycle!
Yeah, I don't think they are super common, but they are definitely a thing, and are evidence that there is no decision deadline, one way or the other, other than to get a class in place before classes begin.

So I know acceptances must all wait until October 15, but what about post interview rejections? Can those occur at anytime? In other words, say you interview at a school reasonably before October 15th (so that the committee has enough time to determine the status of your app (R vs A vs waitlist), if you were chosen to be rejected, would they inform you before-hand?

tldr; If you don't get any news from a school you interviewed at between the interview (let's say it was anytime before Oct. so that the committee has a chance to look at your application) and October 15th, does that mean you will be waking up to an A on the 15th?
Does it matter? You should consider yourself rejected until you have that accept email in your inbox.