Philadelphia Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From Today's Bergen Record:

2M to fund medical tuitions

Saturday, March 13, 2004

By PATRICIA ALEX
STAFF WRITER

His father dropped out of medical school to take over the family business, and now Joseph L. Muscarelle Jr. is using the fruit of that labor to help others become doctors.

Muscarelle, head of one of North Jersey's premier contracting firms, has made a $2 million endowment to the New Jersey Medical School in Newark to be used for scholarships, it was announced Friday.

Interest from the endowment will total more than $100,000 annually and be able to provide scholarships for several students each year, said George F. Heinrich, vice chairman of the foundation at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

Annual tuition at the public medical school, which is part of the university, is about $20,000.

Muscarelle, whose Maywood-based firm bears his late father's name, said he wants his scholarships to go to students who plan to practice in New Jersey. Muscarelle, of Saddle River, has been involved in supporting the medical school for the past 20 years. The endowment will be named for Muscarelle and his wife, Sharon.

Heinrich said there are few scholarships available for medical students and the size of the new endowment will give the school "great flexibility" in helping students with full and partial scholarships in perpetuity. The awards will be based on need and merit, Heinrich said.

The endowment is the largest ever to the medical school, which has 680 students.

Joseph L. Muscarelle Inc. is one of the largest owner/operators of commercial real estate in New Jersey. The firm built such local landmarks as the Garden State Plaza, Paramus Park, Willowbrook Mall, and Sony's Park Ridge headquarters.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That's great news but I might still luck out if it's based on "merit and need". You see I don't have a 4.0gpa and I didn't get a 38 MCAT score, so I am crossed off the merit list and I am not exactly living in poverty, so that also crosses me off the "need" list.

Oh well...congrats to those who get to pay less tuition.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.