New US News Rankings come out tomorrow...predictions?

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I think Baylor has fallen about 16 spots in the last 2 years. Maybe it will make everyone else withdraw for me. :laugh:

:xf:

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a school pulling in a hundred million in NIH funding will have their fingers in a large chunk (i think HMS dean tax is like an obscene 60% or something.. i forget, though) of it, which gets distributed as the admin sees fit, some of which would impact students positively

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a school pulling in a hundred million in NIH funding will have their fingers in a large chunk (i think HMS dean tax is like an obscene 60% or something.. i forget, though) of it, which gets distributed as the admin sees fit, some of which would impact students positively
True, having funding available to medical students is definitely something to ask about. Just have no delusions, that 200 mil is not coming your way. If you get 10 grand you are way above average.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
True, having funding available to medical students is definitely something to ask about. Just have no delusions, that 200 mil is not coming your way. If you get 10 grand you are way above average.
beyond straight cash availability, it's important for funding facilities in which you study/learn, labs that may be short on grant so they can take on some students, etc. money is always a good thing in this case imo

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
So the official rankings in US News are out. Go and enjoy.

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2008
Status
it may impact the hospital, which would then impact your education.
after a point, enough is enough. and you also have to realize a lot of schools NIH funding actually goes to places that are FAR from the campus, but still "associated" with the school.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm....while I don't look at these rankings too often, I found it funny that the school I might attend pretty much the same for research but shot up like 10 spots for primary care. Is that a good sign?

boaz

shanah alef
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2007
bachelor pad
Status
Medical Student
Hmm....while I don't look at these rankings too often, I found it funny that the school I might attend pretty much the same for research but shot up like 10 spots for primary care. Is that a good sign?
A major factor in primary care rankings is number of graduates who go into primary care fields. There are several possible factors that would contribute to a schools jumping 10 spots, not all necessarily to do with the quality of the education.