New US News rankings out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like Stanford moved up a bit (or does my memory suck?). Cornell dropped 1, Virginia moved up 3, Mayo is finally ranked (and at 26), Brown moved up a bunch, NYU moved down 3, OSU got pwned, Temple moved up a bunch...

Members don't see this ad :)
ZOMG this changes my decision on what med school I'm going to pick completely!

But not really..

mayo was ranked this year?
aaand.. UCs still dominating top 15. Hellz yeah

Lol @ Mayo missing the top 25 by one spot after they finally decide to participate. USNews, vindictive much? :smuggrin:

Looks like Stanford moved up a bit (or does my memory suck?). Cornell dropped 1, Virginia moved up 3, Mayo is finally ranked (and at 26), Brown moved up a bunch, NYU moved down 3, OSU got pwned, Temple moved up a bunch...

Wow Temple moved up 7 and Jefferson went down like 5... Ouch

Lol @ Mayo missing the top 25 by one spot after they finally decide to participate. USNews, vindictive much? :smuggrin:

yeah this is a joke. I wish they hadn't even made top 50, just for the sake of easing the competition a little.

/wonders quietly if people actually give a damn about the ratings.

Admit it - how many people just changed their app list based on these rankings?

OSU did got pwned. No other big changes I see aside from Mayo. Was UAB around #30 last year? I wouldn't have guessed that.

Members don't see this ad :)
to be honest, I had been hoping that my dream schools were ranked lower

For as much weight as the algorithm allocates to peer and residency director assessment you think they'd at least make a couple columns for those data.

hmm. Loyola and Rush got pwned by U of I

Makes sense since U of I Med is 3X the size of each. This is why using research dollars for ranking is kind of misleading...there are 4 campuses doing research! We have a cancer researcher in Peoria that gets a TON of NIH funding. We are building a whole new facility for him. :laugh:

Zero change as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite happy to see most of my favs out of the top 30. Except for Mayo. WHYYYYYY!? (shakes fist)

Why does anyone here care about these rankings? I'm not asking that in a snide way, I'm honestly curious.

Dang. UPenn is second. Looks like I'll have to step up my gunning...

Why does anyone here care about these rankings? I'm not asking that in a snide way, I'm honestly curious.

because rankings provide the most "objective" way of measuring which medical schools are "better" - especially if you want to brag to other people. (although I really think a poll among residency directors would be better for that...)

or so I think...

for me, I want my favorites to be ranked lower so ppl will withdraw and leave some spots open for me. Seriously hoping people who got into Penn and Hopkins pick Penn...so there's some waitlist movement at Hopkins....

I'm actually kinda glad my top two choices that I still haven't heard from (ahem UCLA) moved down a couple spots... maybe fewer people will enroll? Haha yea right...

I'm actually kinda glad my top two choices that I still haven't heard from (ahem UCLA) moved down a couple spots... maybe fewer people will enroll? Haha yea right...
Yea I was semi-hoping that with Virginia. Instead they moved up.

sdf

Last edited:

Yes I agree. Everyone who is applying to UCLA they moved down like 1 or 2 spots so withdraw your applications now!

Also holy ba-jesus Harvard received 1.72 billion in NIH dollars....

I compiled a list from the brand new USNWR data of residency director rankings and re-ranked the top 12 according to what residency directors rated the schools with a max score of 5.0 achievable. This seems to present a better picture of the value of the clinical education, on average, at each school.

Top 12 USNWR Schools Re-Ranked According to Residency Director Rating (actual ratings removed):

1 Harvard
1 Hopkins
3 WashU
3 Michigan
5 Penn
5 Duke
5 Stanford
8 Columbia
9 Yale
9 UW
9 Chicago (Pritzker)
12- UCLA

Last edited:
Yea, this didn't change anything regarding what my top choice, next choice, etc, schools are.

I do, however, think that these rankings shouldn't be dismissed entirely as being useless (at least for those wanting to stay in academia). Generally, it seems like the high-ranked schools tend to be more likely to have the newest technology (regarding certain fields, not all) and tend to have big names in certain fields as well. For example, where I'm conducting research right now, they're getting a piece of technology that is not available anywhere else in North America and won't be for a while. So, if you wanted to conduct research regarding this treatment modality in the next several years, you either have to attend here or figure out another way to conduct decent research here. And the connections you can develop by interacting with the big names in whatever field can pay huge dividends years down the road. I know, I know, the vast majority of people who go to med school don't care so much about research and will end up in private practice. I'm just pointing out to the people who are more academically-inclined, is all. :)

I compiled a list from the brand new USNWR data of residency director rankings and re-ranked the top 12 according to what residency directors rated the schools with a max score of 5.0 achievable. This seems to present a better picture of the value of the clinical education, on average, at each school.

Top 12 USNWR Schools Re-Ranked According to Residency Director Rating:

1 Harvard- 4.7
1 Hopkins- 4.7
3 WashU- 4.6
3 Michigan- 4.6
5 Penn- 4.5
5 Duke- 4.5
5 Stanford- 4.5
8 Columbia- 4.4
9 Yale- 4.3
9 UW- 4.3
9 Chicago (Pritzker)- 4.3
12- UCLA- 4.2

Some Schools of Interest:

Cornell- 4.3
Mayo- 4.1
Case Western- 3.8
Mt. Sinai- 3.5

Where do you find this residency director score?

I already loved the school I'll most likely be at next year ... but the fact that it jumped up a good number of spaces in both research and primary care only makes it all the more awesome ... can't wait for August!

Where do you find this residency director score?

You need premium access to USNWR Grad Rankings. Click the school -> 'Rankings' Link on Left Side-Bar -> Scroll down to "Residency Directors Assessment Score"

f**king furious

Only 3 months out from applications and they take a big (figurative) dump on my chest (hope of getting love from Mayo). Not cool. Even if my nickname in high school was "Hot Carl"...

By the way, why is Minnesota ranked above those right after it? I know a few spots in ranking is quite arbitrary, but I'm a bit curious.

You need premium access to USNWR Grad Rankings. Click the school -> 'Rankings' Link on Left Side-Bar -> Scroll down to "Residency Directors Assessment Score"

Ummm... Will you get banned if you post these scores here for us who don't want to pay USNWR for a bunch of numbers?

My inner 13 year old napster-abusing self is calling me. Everything on the internet should be free.

Ummm... Will you get banned if you post these scores here for us who don't want to pay USNWR for a bunch of numbers?

My inner 13 year old napster-abusing self is calling me. Everything on the internet should be free.

Hmmm...I don't know? Do you think I should remove the numbers? I didn't even think of that honestly. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I already loved the school I'll most likely be at next year ... but the fact that it jumped up a good number of spaces in both research and primary care only makes it all the more awesome ... can't wait for August!

You mean MCW?

Yeah it went up considerably.

On another note St. Louis University got hammered. Was like late 50s or high 60s last year and is now 75.

Biggest surprise for me is Ohio State, no doubt. I remember hearing about how keen they were on becoming a top 20/top 15 school...what happened?

Even if my nickname in high school was "Hot Carl"...

Lol, gonna file that one away for later use.

If you get in this cycle you have to get me in next cycle. Absolutely no exceptions.

And if you turn out to be one of those people who gets accepted there and doesn't go...
:thumbdown:

Biggest surprise for me is Ohio State, no doubt. I remember hearing about how keen they were on becoming a top 20/top 15 school...what happened?

I don't know, but it is odd that Colorado was tied with them last year, and they still are, they both just dropped a bunch.

Hmmm...I don't know? Do you think I should remove the numbers? I didn't even think of that honestly. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Haha no I meant the opposite! Post all the scores :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I gotta admit though...seeing some of the schools that rejected me drop in the rankings does feel kinda good :laugh: hehe

Lol, gonna file that one away for later use.

If you get in this cycle you have to get me in next cycle. Absolutely no exceptions.

And if you turn out to be one of those people who gets accepted there and doesn't go...
:thumbdown:

Currently chuckling at the preposteriosity (Did I just make that up? Yes, yes I did) of that statement.

Both UCI and UCD jumped up 5 spots, nice :thumbup:

CA is great.

pretty much the same as last years except for a few minor inconsequential changes in 1 or 2 spots for the top 25 schools (except for stanford which is now top5..it was 11 last year)...but yeah OSU took a HUGE nose dive...geez

Last edited:
pretty much the same as last years except for a few minor inconsequential changes in 1 or 2 spots for the top 25 schools...but OSU took a HUGE nose dive...geez
it makes me wonder if tucker max is a first year there.