Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

New USC School of Dentistry Website!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Columbia07, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Columbia07

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  4. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    $87 pager fee? I didn't know pagers still existed, let alone that they cost $87 :p

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The new requirements: 1 year of History, Philosphy OR Fine Arts.
    I liked the old ones better :(

6. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The total tuition for USC is about $270,000 (The 4th year is $47,000 because students take two trimesters on their last year). And the total for NYU is $252,000. However, I think for housing costs, USC has overestimated room and board costs. I think on average the room and board cost should be around $15,000-16,000. By the way, their new website looks good!

7. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    They probably apply it next cycle. For this cycle, they already checked our pre-requisite at the end of our interview and they don't need it.

8. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    29% of the class earned a degree from one of 7 University of California campuses while less than 1% earned a degree from California State University campuses.

Posted that, quoted directly from the USC website for all of you guys who still have the moniker of "there's no difference in what undergrad you go to". There is, and the proof is in the numbers for multiple schools folks.

9. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

$20,000 is a big difference. Especially $20,000 over what used to be considered the most expensive school in the nation. I'm considering applying to USC since I have family ties there, but there's no way I'd attend unless I had a military scholarship/or it was the only place I got into.

10. DDSguyLA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

you have no idea what you're talking about...
    that statement only means that more people apply from the UC system rather than the CSU system, which makes lots of sense.

Look at the following hypothetical numbers:

total applicants to USC Dental School 4000

UC applicants ~ 2200
    Out of State ~ 1500
    CSU ~ 300
    -------------------------

I know many people that went from the CSU system to USC (especially USC)... I know of people who have gotten to UCLA, UCSF and Harvard. The amount of applicant is way lower than the UC system, that's why!

Have a good one

11. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

Why would CSU's have a significantly lower number of applicants than UC's. He does make an assumption that UC/CSU applicant pool is probably similar, but it is an assumption that a logical person COULD come to. Thus, he does have a semblance of an idea of what he's talking about.

In reality, I agree that the numbers do not prove that CSU's are less successful in D school admissions; but it provides a hint that maybe they are.

Also, I think it's been established that undergrad name provides a little help to admissions; especially if you are comparing, for example, Harvard vs. Tennessee State. However, for most of us- it is of minimal importance.

#10 condoleezarice, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  12. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Devil's advocate: Why would CSU's have an on par number of applicants? People who end up going to CSU's (SPOILER: stereotype coming) don't tend to be as motivated as people who end up at UC's. People who apply to dental school tend to be motivated people, so it would make sense for more applicants to come from the UC system.

13. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

Well, you just provided a valid possible reason on why CSU's would have less applicants. That's more than DDSLA said, who just stated that the guy was talking out of his ass. I'm not taking sides on that one, because we only have anecdotal evidence on the success rate of CSU's.

14. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I feel bad for USC folks. Whenever they open up a new thread, they either get bashed or discussion move to the different direction.:laugh:

Anyway, new web page looks good, and I like the media section. It has number of video's uploaded. I am sure they add more components to the website soon.

15. A8

A8
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As Rose1010 mentioned, both NYU and USC have almost the same prices. You can choose one over the other one because of their PBL or lecture format, but the housing cost in LA is cheaper than NYC and if you go to NYU then $20,000 surplus goes to monthly rents and deposit. But if you are a LA resident and you plan to stay with family, then I guess still USC is cheaper because you don't pay for housing.

16. WhyNOT111

WhyNOT111 USC Dentistry 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I go to CSU and out of over 500 bio majors that I know and have talked to ( I work in the Pre-health, med, dent, opt ) office, only about 11 actually applied to dental schools. Many want to apply and simply don't, and many apply to med and opt. I don't know why but I rarely come across pre-dents.

17. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    That looks a lot better. The tuition scares me...

18. Doc Ock

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    "I feel bad for USC folks. Whenever they open up a new thread, they either get bashed or discussion move to the different direction"

They (the SC haters) are just jealous because they don't have red hair. Must be hell having all that pent up envy.

19. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Nice! Pretty easy to find info which is good for applicants. Pacific updated their website about 1 year ago and I still get lost....

That tuition has got to hurt though....

20. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Don't fault the number of applicants. There are 3-4 times as many CSU campuses as UC's and probably more overall students than UC's combined, yet UC's dominate the applicant and accepted pool. Why? Because school matters, we are more motivated, and more prepared to succeed. I'm not saying you can't end up at Harvard or UCLA after going to a CSU, I am just saying you have more likely of a chance to do so if you go to a better university.

Also, i'll stop hijacking this thread :D

21. DDSguyLA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

10 UCs
    23 CSUs
    ---------

"I'm not saying you can't end up at Harvard or UCLA after going to a CSU, I am just saying you have more likely of a chance to do so if you go to a better university."

Well, Ofcourse!!! The CSU system is kind of like the People's school rather than UC where you need to have a high GPA, SAT and other stuff to get in.
    You're chances go up because there are way more people who are going in that direction (pre-health)...

ps. didn't mean to take it away from the USC system. Oh sir, very sorry. SC for LIFE...

22. JennDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    SC is more expensive than NYU based on new SC tuition rates. If you find a roommate at NYC and use the public transportation you can definitely lower the living costs. NYU estimates 25,000 for housing but it can be lowered though. I know friends who go to NYU and pay about 1500/month for their room so the overall cost of housing can be around 15-16k/yr for NYU. SC is still 20k more expensive than NYU. I wonder why they raised their tuition since they are running based on PBL system. Based on their new tuition, I think there is no doubt that NYU is a better choice. NYU offers traditional lectures, lectures are recorded on itunes, and they have a superior website! I am accepted to SC, UPenn and NYU and I plan to submit my deposit for NYU even if I live in northern california and SC was close to home.

23. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    NYU over Upenn? Interesting

24. DentGuy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How many people here are actually GOING to USC?

25. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think any body knows for sure how many first round accepted people attend USC, but at this point I don't think many people attend based on what I see on this forum. If California residents who get accepted to NYU or UPenn turn down their USC offer then I guess USC needs to send another full round of acceptances very soon.

26. JennDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

If USC updates the new numbers, their tuition definitely looks very very scary.

27. condoleezarice

2+ Year Member

Um... wow

Considering the price and subpar graduation rates, they're going to have a hard time attracting top students. Good thing they have the USC name to rely on.

#26 condoleezarice, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  28. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    omg condoleezarice is going into dentistry now that the bush administration is ending and hilary is taking over?

29. seaweed719

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    no one i know of who got accepted into USC wants to attend there.

30. A8

A8
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I guess a new dean needs to make several changes including collecting enough funding so they don't need to raise tuition.

31. Vicviper

Vicviper Steve McAwesome
    Faculty Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    When I went a while back to talk to the admissions reps I'm pretty sure they said that they waived the non-science pre-reqs if you have a bachelors degree.

32. DentGuy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    To the other USC hopefuls out there, when will you guys hear from them?

#31 DentGuy, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  33. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    USC will eventually fill their class just fine....its just not many people's first choice, but many people will accept over other schools come the 2nd, 3rd, 4th waves.

34. pinkypinky2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    PBL is the biggest problem that I decide not to go to USC, but my friend told me that she enjoyed studying there, because it's much easier than undergrad!! how interesting ><...

35. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No wonder they don't graduate their students on time. :rolleyes:

36. Columbia07

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    1. This thread took a turn in the wrong direction. :sleep:

2. I'm not sure I understand why you think we don't graduate our students on time? Because of PBL? Because someone thought the curriculum at the dental school was easier than undergrad? Please elaborate.

3. Anyways, I thought the website looked really nice, which was the entire point of this thread.

37. BakeNeat

BakeNeat UCSF Class of 2013

Pre-Dental
    Haha. This thread did take a wrong turn somewhere. Cool site!

38. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    This thread veered off wrongly in a few ways lol....like someone mentioned above...all threads with the words "USC" in them will. Poor PBL....who knows maybe 20 years down the line PBL will be the norm and all the USC folks graduating these days will have the last laugh.

39. iJackTeeth

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    PBL is going out the window at usc, they will be changing a lot of things

40. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    PBL is a wonderful adjuct and good will come of this 'experiment' that USC did with PBL only.

The med schools use lots of PBL so it isn't just USC 'idiots' trying to give out low cost education at high prices....hey that's a similar model to most denture mills....

I bet if USC was half the price, everyone would be fighting to get in! Who wouldn't want all that PBL time to self study? Self study was my entire first year of dental school and I only got night time hours to do it..... :(

41. Doc Ock

2+ Year Member

Dentist
    "The DMD Curriculum is presented in a problem-based approach in which concepts are mastered through group discussion and analysis of real-patient cases."

This is the description of Harvard's curriculum. Nobody seems to be ragging on Harvard for having PBL. Obviously pure PBL which was tried at USC modeled after Vancouver's PBL program had problems. The education model will be modified, but PBL in concept is still valid. Graduate education is essentially PBL where the group is fellow residents and the real-patient cases are real patients. There just needs to be more guidance for the foundation of didactics underlying the PBL. Harvard however only charges $38,000 for their PBL, but they have NO pre-clinical dentistry. There are no hand skill courses for the two years of the PBL. I think this is where the difference is in the tuition, having PBL plus preclinical dentistry is expensive. You people should look carefully at the curriculums and see what is really there. There is no standard format or formula for dental school. Some people will flourish in a PBL format, others will wither. The Best and the Brightest are usually up to the challenge. But it does depend upon you own personal learning style and where you would be comfortable. So know thyself and choose wisely.

42. JennDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As a predent and someone who plans to enter dental school next year, I can tell you that I am open to learn concepts in a PBL format. What bothers me is the fact that USC raised its tuition significantly within a year to $75,000/yr (not including hosuing costs and expenses) and now seems the most expensive dental school in the nation! And it creates more uncertainty when we hear all different sort of complains from USC students on the forum with regard to the clinic. I think some of these issues can be resolved if USC admissions let students to be interviewed by faculty at USC so at least some of these concerns can be answered by faculty or dean of dental school. I don't think even Admission staff did enough to present USC in my interview session. I wish I could ask some of my questions directly from dean or faculty members instead of listening for one hour to director of admissions, and even he could not make a convincing case for PBL and their graduation rate!

43. Doc Ock

2+ Year Member

Dentist