Ranelar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status
Dental Student
$87 pager fee? I didn't know pagers still existed, let alone that they cost $87 :p

About the Ads

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
The new requirements: 1 year of History, Philosphy OR Fine Arts.
I liked the old ones better :(

ROSE1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Their updated costs page is absolutely frightening.

http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912&linkidentifier=id&itemid=912&menu_id=258

It even blows NYU out of the water now.
The total tuition for USC is about $270,000 (The 4th year is $47,000 because students take two trimesters on their last year). And the total for NYU is $252,000. However, I think for housing costs, USC has overestimated room and board costs. I think on average the room and board cost should be around $15,000-16,000. By the way, their new website looks good!

ROSE1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
The new requirements: 1 year of History, Philosphy OR Fine Arts.
I liked the old ones better :(
They probably apply it next cycle. For this cycle, they already checked our pre-requisite at the end of our interview and they don't need it.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
29% of the class earned a degree from one of 7 University of California campuses while less than 1% earned a degree from California State University campuses.

Posted that, quoted directly from the USC website for all of you guys who still have the moniker of "there's no difference in what undergrad you go to". There is, and the proof is in the numbers for multiple schools folks.

condoleezarice

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The total tuition for USC is about $270,000 (The 4th year is $47,000 because students take two trimesters on their last year). And the total for NYU is $252,000. However, I think for housing costs, USC has overestimated room and board costs. I think on average the room and board cost should be around $15,000-16,000. By the way, their new website looks good!
$20,000 is a big difference. Especially $20,000 over what used to be considered the most expensive school in the nation. I'm considering applying to USC since I have family ties there, but there's no way I'd attend unless I had a military scholarship/or it was the only place I got into.

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
29% of the class earned a degree from one of 7 University of California campuses while less than 1% earned a degree from California State University campuses.

Posted that, quoted directly from the USC website for all of you guys who still have the moniker of "there's no difference in what undergrad you go to". There is, and the proof is in the numbers for multiple schools folks.

you have no idea what you're talking about...
that statement only means that more people apply from the UC system rather than the CSU system, which makes lots of sense.

Look at the following hypothetical numbers:

total applicants to USC Dental School 4000

UC applicants ~ 2200
Out of State ~ 1500
CSU ~ 300
-------------------------

I know many people that went from the CSU system to USC (especially USC)... I know of people who have gotten to UCLA, UCSF and Harvard. The amount of applicant is way lower than the UC system, that's why!

Have a good one

condoleezarice

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
that statement only means that more people apply from the UC system rather than the CSU system, which makes lots of sense.

UC applicants ~ 2200
Out of State ~ 1500
CSU ~ 300

I know many people that went from the CSU system to USC (especially USC)... I know of people who have gotten to UCLA, UCSF and Harvard. The amount of applicant is way lower than the UC system, that's why!

Have a good one
Why would CSU's have a significantly lower number of applicants than UC's. He does make an assumption that UC/CSU applicant pool is probably similar, but it is an assumption that a logical person COULD come to. Thus, he does have a semblance of an idea of what he's talking about.

In reality, I agree that the numbers do not prove that CSU's are less successful in D school admissions; but it provides a hint that maybe they are.

Also, I think it's been established that undergrad name provides a little help to admissions; especially if you are comparing, for example, Harvard vs. Tennessee State. However, for most of us- it is of minimal importance.

Last edited:

Ranelar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Why would CSU's have a significantly lower number of applicants than UC's. He does make an assumption that UC/CSU applicant pool is probably similar, but it is an assumption that a logical person COULD come to.

In reality, I agree that the numbers do not prove that CSU's are less successful in D school admissions; but it provides a hint that maybe they are.
Devil's advocate: Why would CSU's have an on par number of applicants? People who end up going to CSU's (SPOILER: stereotype coming) don't tend to be as motivated as people who end up at UC's. People who apply to dental school tend to be motivated people, so it would make sense for more applicants to come from the UC system.

condoleezarice

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Devil's advocate: Why would CSU's have an on par number of applicants? People who end up going to CSU's (SPOILER: stereotype coming) don't tend to be as motivated as people who end up at UC's. People who apply to dental school tend to be motivated people, so it would make sense for more applicants to come from the UC system.
Well, you just provided a valid possible reason on why CSU's would have less applicants. That's more than DDSLA said, who just stated that the guy was talking out of his ass. I'm not taking sides on that one, because we only have anecdotal evidence on the success rate of CSU's.

ROSE1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I feel bad for USC folks. Whenever they open up a new thread, they either get bashed or discussion move to the different direction.:laugh:

Anyway, new web page looks good, and I like the media section. It has number of video's uploaded. I am sure they add more components to the website soon.

About the Ads

A8

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
$20,000 is a big difference. Especially $20,000 over what used to be considered the most expensive school in the nation. I'm considering applying to USC since I have family ties there, but there's no way I'd attend unless I had a military scholarship/or it was the only place I got into.
As Rose1010 mentioned, both NYU and USC have almost the same prices. You can choose one over the other one because of their PBL or lecture format, but the housing cost in LA is cheaper than NYC and if you go to NYU then $20,000 surplus goes to monthly rents and deposit. But if you are a LA resident and you plan to stay with family, then I guess still USC is cheaper because you don't pay for housing.

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Los Angeles
Status
Dental Student
Why would CSU's have a significantly lower number of applicants than UC's. He does make an assumption that UC/CSU applicant pool is probably similar, but it is an assumption that a logical person COULD come to. Thus, he does have a semblance of an idea of what he's talking about.

Also, I think it's been established that undergrad name provides a little help to admissions; especially if you are comparing, for example, Harvard vs. Tennessee State. However, for most of us- it is of minimal importance.

I go to CSU and out of over 500 bio majors that I know and have talked to ( I work in the Pre-health, med, dent, opt ) office, only about 11 actually applied to dental schools. Many want to apply and simply don't, and many apply to med and opt. I don't know why but I rarely come across pre-dents.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration
That looks a lot better. The tuition scares me...

Doc Ock

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2008
Status
Dentist
"I feel bad for USC folks. Whenever they open up a new thread, they either get bashed or discussion move to the different direction"

They (the SC haters) are just jealous because they don't have red hair. Must be hell having all that pent up envy.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student

UC applicants ~ 2200
Out of State ~ 1500
CSU ~ 300

Have a good one
Don't fault the number of applicants. There are 3-4 times as many CSU campuses as UC's and probably more overall students than UC's combined, yet UC's dominate the applicant and accepted pool. Why? Because school matters, we are more motivated, and more prepared to succeed. I'm not saying you can't end up at Harvard or UCLA after going to a CSU, I am just saying you have more likely of a chance to do so if you go to a better university.

Also, i'll stop hijacking this thread :D

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't fault the number of applicants. There are 3-4 times as many CSU campuses as UC's and probably more overall students than UC's combined, yet UC's dominate the applicant and accepted pool. Why? Because school matters, we are more motivated, and more prepared to succeed. I'm not saying you can't end up at Harvard or UCLA after going to a CSU, I am just saying you have more likely of a chance to do so if you go to a better university.

Also, i'll stop hijacking this thread :D

10 UCs
23 CSUs
---------

"I'm not saying you can't end up at Harvard or UCLA after going to a CSU, I am just saying you have more likely of a chance to do so if you go to a better university."

Well, Ofcourse!!! The CSU system is kind of like the People's school rather than UC where you need to have a high GPA, SAT and other stuff to get in.
You're chances go up because there are way more people who are going in that direction (pre-health)...

ps. didn't mean to take it away from the USC system. Oh sir, very sorry. SC for LIFE...

JennDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
As Rose1010 mentioned, both NYU and USC have almost the same prices. You can choose one over the other one because of their PBL or lecture format, but the housing cost in LA is cheaper than NYC and if you go to NYU then $20,000 surplus goes to monthly rents and deposit. But if you are a LA resident and you plan to stay with family, then I guess still USC is cheaper because you don't pay for housing.
SC is more expensive than NYU based on new SC tuition rates. If you find a roommate at NYC and use the public transportation you can definitely lower the living costs. NYU estimates 25,000 for housing but it can be lowered though. I know friends who go to NYU and pay about 1500/month for their room so the overall cost of housing can be around 15-16k/yr for NYU. SC is still 20k more expensive than NYU. I wonder why they raised their tuition since they are running based on PBL system. Based on their new tuition, I think there is no doubt that NYU is a better choice. NYU offers traditional lectures, lectures are recorded on itunes, and they have a superior website! I am accepted to SC, UPenn and NYU and I plan to submit my deposit for NYU even if I live in northern california and SC was close to home.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
SC is more expensive than NYU based on new SC tuition rates. If you find a roommate at NYC and use the public transportation you can definitely lower the living costs. NYU estimates 25,000 for housing but it can be lowered though. I know friends who go to NYU and pay about 1500/month for their room so the overall cost of housing can be around 15-16k/yr for NYU. SC is still 20k more expensive than NYU. I wonder why they raised their tuition since they are running based on PBL system. Based on their new tuition, I think there is no doubt that NYU is a better choice. NYU offers traditional lectures, lectures are recorded on itunes, and they have a superior website! I am accepted to SC, UPenn and NYU and I plan to submit my deposit for NYU even if I live in northern california and SC was close to home.
NYU over Upenn? Interesting

About the Ads

ROSE1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
How many people here are actually GOING to USC?
I don't think any body knows for sure how many first round accepted people attend USC, but at this point I don't think many people attend based on what I see on this forum. If California residents who get accepted to NYU or UPenn turn down their USC offer then I guess USC needs to send another full round of acceptances very soon.

JennDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
USC even raised its tuition from last year:scared::scared: Based on the financial packet that they gave us in our interview session, the second year tuition has been raised from $65,298-->68,562 , third year has been raised from $65,298-->$71,990 , and their fourth year has been raised from $43,532-->$48,250.

USC definitely blows NYU out of water. NYU has not even raised their tuition for last 4-5 years and their tuition is still the same $52,510 even if they have one of the best clinics, and they offer lectures for first two years. I don't know who goes to USC but I think it should be your last last choice! When I went for an interview the financial aid person told us that our total cost of education at USC will be 400,000:scared::scared: but the total cost at NYU was about 340,000-350,000, and I guess the total for UPenn was 335,000!

If USC updates the new numbers, their tuition definitely looks very very scary.

condoleezarice

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
USC even raised its tuition from last year:scared::scared: Based on the financial packet that they gave us in our interview session, the second year tuition has been raised from $65,298-->68,562 , third year has been raised from $65,298-->$71,990 , and their fourth year has been raised from $43,532-->$48,250.
Um... wow

Considering the price and subpar graduation rates, they're going to have a hard time attracting top students. Good thing they have the USC name to rely on.

Last edited:

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
Um... wow

Considering the price and subpar graduation rates, they're going to have a hard time attracting top students. Good thing they have the USC name to rely on.
omg condoleezarice is going into dentistry now that the bush administration is ending and hilary is taking over?

A8

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
Dental Student
no one i know of who got accepted into USC wants to attend there.
I guess a new dean needs to make several changes including collecting enough funding so they don't need to raise tuition.

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
USC will eventually fill their class just fine....its just not many people's first choice, but many people will accept over other schools come the 2nd, 3rd, 4th waves.

pinkypinky2013

10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
PBL is the biggest problem that I decide not to go to USC, but my friend told me that she enjoyed studying there, because it's much easier than undergrad!! how interesting ><...

Columbia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Dental Student
No wonder they don't graduate their students on time. :rolleyes:
1. This thread took a turn in the wrong direction. :sleep:

2. I'm not sure I understand why you think we don't graduate our students on time? Because of PBL? Because someone thought the curriculum at the dental school was easier than undergrad? Please elaborate.

3. Anyways, I thought the website looked really nice, which was the entire point of this thread.

BakeNeat

UCSF Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
NorCal
Status
Pre-Dental
1. This thread took a turn in the wrong direction. :sleep:

2. I'm not sure I understand why you think we don't graduate our students on time? Because of PBL? Because someone thought the curriculum at the dental school was easier than undergrad? Please elaborate.

3. Anyways, I thought the website looked really nice, which was the entire point of this thread.
Haha. This thread did take a wrong turn somewhere. Cool site!

DiNoZeRo2o9

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stockton, CA
Status
Dental Student
This thread veered off wrongly in a few ways lol....like someone mentioned above...all threads with the words "USC" in them will. Poor PBL....who knows maybe 20 years down the line PBL will be the norm and all the USC folks graduating these days will have the last laugh.

iJackTeeth

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status
Rehab Sci Student
PBL is going out the window at usc, they will be changing a lot of things

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
Academic Administration
This thread veered off wrongly in a few ways lol....like someone mentioned above...all threads with the words "USC" in them will. Poor PBL....who knows maybe 20 years down the line PBL will be the norm and all the USC folks graduating these days will have the last laugh.
PBL is a wonderful adjuct and good will come of this 'experiment' that USC did with PBL only.

The med schools use lots of PBL so it isn't just USC 'idiots' trying to give out low cost education at high prices....hey that's a similar model to most denture mills....

I bet if USC was half the price, everyone would be fighting to get in! Who wouldn't want all that PBL time to self study? Self study was my entire first year of dental school and I only got night time hours to do it..... :(

Doc Ock

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2008
Status
Dentist
"The DMD Curriculum is presented in a problem-based approach in which concepts are mastered through group discussion and analysis of real-patient cases."

This is the description of Harvard's curriculum. Nobody seems to be ragging on Harvard for having PBL. Obviously pure PBL which was tried at USC modeled after Vancouver's PBL program had problems. The education model will be modified, but PBL in concept is still valid. Graduate education is essentially PBL where the group is fellow residents and the real-patient cases are real patients. There just needs to be more guidance for the foundation of didactics underlying the PBL. Harvard however only charges $38,000 for their PBL, but they have NO pre-clinical dentistry. There are no hand skill courses for the two years of the PBL. I think this is where the difference is in the tuition, having PBL plus preclinical dentistry is expensive. You people should look carefully at the curriculums and see what is really there. There is no standard format or formula for dental school. Some people will flourish in a PBL format, others will wither. The Best and the Brightest are usually up to the challenge. But it does depend upon you own personal learning style and where you would be comfortable. So know thyself and choose wisely.

JennDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
"The DMD Curriculum is presented in a problem-based approach in which concepts are mastered through group discussion and analysis of real-patient cases."

This is the description of Harvard's curriculum. Nobody seems to be ragging on Harvard for having PBL. Obviously pure PBL which was tried at USC modeled after Vancouver's PBL program had problems. The education model will be modified, but PBL in concept is still valid. Graduate education is essentially PBL where the group is fellow residents and the real-patient cases are real patients. There just needs to be more guidance for the foundation of didactics underlying the PBL. Harvard however only charges $38,000 for their PBL, but they have NO pre-clinical dentistry. There are no hand skill courses for the two years of the PBL. I think this is where the difference is in the tuition, having PBL plus preclinical dentistry is expensive. You people should look carefully at the curriculums and see what is really there. There is no standard format or formula for dental school. Some people will flourish in a PBL format, others will wither. The Best and the Brightest are usually up to the challenge. But it does depend upon you own personal learning style and where you would be comfortable. So know thyself and choose wisely.
As a predent and someone who plans to enter dental school next year, I can tell you that I am open to learn concepts in a PBL format. What bothers me is the fact that USC raised its tuition significantly within a year to $75,000/yr (not including hosuing costs and expenses) and now seems the most expensive dental school in the nation! And it creates more uncertainty when we hear all different sort of complains from USC students on the forum with regard to the clinic. I think some of these issues can be resolved if USC admissions let students to be interviewed by faculty at USC so at least some of these concerns can be answered by faculty or dean of dental school. I don't think even Admission staff did enough to present USC in my interview session. I wish I could ask some of my questions directly from dean or faculty members instead of listening for one hour to director of admissions, and even he could not make a convincing case for PBL and their graduation rate!

About the Ads