NEW USMLE Step 1 Fromat and IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was not getting many responses in the other forum, so trying in a new thread. Posting on behalf of a friend:

"Please Help, I am an IMG with 1st attempt scores:

Step 1: 80
Step 2: 99

I was consistantly among the top students at my med school of 200 students. Had a bad flu just before the Step 1 and I kick myself now for taking the exam in that state.

I am not aiming for any university programs now but wondering if I have any chance of getting into a IM, IM/FP or IM/Peds program at a comm hosp. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

Members don't see this ad.

Was not getting many responses in the other forum, so trying in a new thread. Posting on behalf of a friend:

"Please Help, I am an IMG with 1st attempt scores:

Step 1: 80
Step 2: 99

I was consistantly among the top students at my med school of 200 students. Had a bad flu just before the Step 1 and I kick myself now for taking the exam in that state.

I am not aiming for any university programs now but wondering if I have any chance of getting into a IM, IM/FP or IM/Peds program at a comm hosp. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

I got a 76 on step 1. So I should be more worried than you... although I haven't taken step 2 yet or am not a IMG. From what residents have been telling me, you have a solid step 2. I'm guessing it's a 240+. Your question is too broad... it really depends what state and what hospital you want to go to. A good number of hospitals are IMG friendly, while a good number of hospitals are not. It's just a matter of researching it.

I think IM/FP is very very rare, if not non-existent. IM/Peds is less common than IM in general. This would make IM/Peds more competitive.

Thanks a lot.

Aiming for a uni-affiliated hospital in either northeast, midwest and some southern states like GA, TN, FL and prefer IM mostly.