New Vet School in New Jersey - Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMGoals77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was on the phone with an advisor at Rowan University (inquiring about taking physics there this summer), and was told that it was just announced to staff that Rowan will be opening a vet school in 2025. New Jersey may finally have an in-state vet school! I'm applying next cycle, but for future NJ students, this is pretty exciting and I wanted to share!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Keep in mind things change. UofA was talking about a vet school while I was in undergrad starting in 2012 or so. They just got their feet off the ground. So don't hold your breath for a 2025 opening date until officially announced.

If this school will only be open to NJ students and contract seats for other states without a school (like Texas Tech), then awesome. They're actually actively helping vet med. If it's going to be half in state and out of state students, they're doing more of the same and aren't helping at all. If anything, they'd be making things worse.

Reactions: 6 users
I was just sharing what I was told by a faculty member at Rowan. As someone faced with only OOS admission and tuition options, I had my own biased reaction to hearing what she had to say.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just sharing what I was told by a faculty member at Rowan. As someone faced with only OOS admission and tuition options, I had my own biased reaction to hearing what she had to say.
Totally nothing wrong with that :) It's definitely a shame that legislature for your state hasn't prioritized getting contract states with other schools for you guys.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m from nj too! And I’m applying to schools right now for the first time. I heard about the potential vet school at Rowan from a vet student who’s a daughter of the vet I work for. Even tho hopefully I’ll be in vet school by then lol, hopefully it’ll happen since nj is so densely populated it would def be great.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the inaugural class is so small.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate the inaugural class is so small.
Me too! I was surprised by that. And they have more than just a DVM program planned for the new addition. So seems very exciting!

Keep in mind things change. UofA was talking about a vet school while I was in undergrad starting in 2012 or so. They just got their feet off the ground. So don't hold your breath for a 2025 opening date until officially announced.

If this school will only be open to NJ students and contract seats for other states without a school (like Texas Tech), then awesome. They're actually actively helping vet med. If it's going to be half in state and out of state students, they're doing more of the same and aren't helping at all. If anything, they'd be making things worse.

UofA was talking about a vet school when I was still a pre-teen, being I had always wanted to be a vet I can recall kicking up the good ol dial up internet to research vet school (and seeing they were "in the works for one") and hoping they'd have one before it was time for me to apply. :laugh: They accepted their first set of students in 2020. I graduated vet school in 2016.

Reactions: 1 users