BShig110

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Charleston, SC
Status
Dental Student
I'm a D2 at MUSC and I had an idea to develop an innovative virtual campus tour website and self-guided tour app for smart phones of our dental school and university campus last Spring. The site is almost complete, but I knew there's no better place to get some feedback from prospective students than here on SDN.

With budgets tight most everywhere right now there were no funds to support a budget for the project, but they did allow me to work on the project as a work-study this past summer. I wanted it to be produced BY dental students FOR future and current dental students to get a better feeling of what it's like to actually be here on campus before deciding to apply and/or interview here at MUSC.

Everything used to produce and develop this project was borrowed or donated, and in many instances required some crafty begging. I'm grateful to have so many wonderful people all over campus help out with what's become truly a one-of-a-kind virtual tour. What began as a simple virtual tour of campus pictures eventually blossomed into immerssive (I know this isn't a word but it should be) panoramic images and video tours narrated by current students. An iPhone, iPod, and iPad app for MUSC, including the dental school, will be available in the iTunes App store in early 2011.

I'd like to get some feedback about what you do and don't like about the site so we can continue to improve the overall user experience. I'm particularly interested in the ease of navigating through the pages of the site and being able to see what your looking for in a virtual tour. The link below is the intro page. Post replies or PM me with your opinions. Happy Holidays!

MUSC James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine Campus Virtual Tour

If you've never been to Charleston, SC you don't know what your missing!

Jul 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
WOW!!! This is amazing! :clap: Great videos, and I agree, I wish all schools would do something like this for pre-dents. I think something you could add alongside the virtual tour is a quick video of interviewing students about what life is like at MUSC. To give an example, UAB students put together a video to welcome future students (on the same site you used). See link below...

http://vimeo.com/10801982

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
This is an insanely cool website! It gives a feel like you are actually on campus when you look at the 360 degree shots!

The Dean's message looked kinda chunky, I think it was because it was tilted. consider changing the font. It may just be my monitor, though.

Loved the videos! Especially with y'all boy almost falling off of the banister in the student center.

The facilities look amazing and the site looks even better! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OP
B

BShig110

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Charleston, SC
Status
Dental Student
WOW!!! This is amazing! :clap: Great videos, and I agree, I wish all schools would do something like this for pre-dents. I think something you could add alongside the virtual tour is a quick video of interviewing students about what life is like at MUSC. To give an example, UAB students put together a video to welcome future students (on the same site you used). See link below...

http://vimeo.com/10801982
Thanks dentaldore, I'm glad you like the site. I am actually working on a new video similar to the UAB video in the link. They did a great job as well. I've found it takes a lot to keep people's interest throughout a video sequence so it will probably be not nearly as long. We, much like any other dental school, have so many really fun events and gatherings just like those highlighted in that video that applicants and first years should know about. I'll let y'all know when I get this new one done. I'm pretty much a one man band in this project so each video is a project in of itself. Take care and Happy Holidays!

Thanks to everyone else for the overwhelmingly positive feedback. I always liked to think new applicants and students would be interested in something different like this, but with all the hours Ive put into it over the summer and this fall I was always a little worried people might not really care. If you'd like to see more schools do something like this let them know, many universities have all the same resources, if not more, to produce similar things, but most sre out of touch and don't know what students are looking for and will relate to most. I've gotta get back to studying though, 5 exams down this week, three more to go! Take care.