New vs Old MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap2500

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the old MCAT in Jan 2014 (and received a 31) and although I know it may technically be expired, I believe the score is still reported. Any idea on how it might impact my application if I choose to take the newer MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it is certainly expired at many schools since the threshold for many schools is that the MCAT must be taken 3 years from matriculation (since you have not applied, this means you would matriculate, at the earliest, in 2018). I cant speak as to how it will impact your application, but it is important that you do similarly well or better on the new MCAT to stay competitive!

Many schools are still accepting tests from 2014, consult the MSAR to see if you need a retake or if many of your target schools will still take that score.

Edit: Actually at a glance, most places still accepting scores from 2014 need them to be from the summer or fall. January 2014 is only still accepted at a handful. You will likely need a retake.

That is a solid score and unlikely to affect opinions much, unless your new score is wildly different or something.