New York City Family Practice (please help, and thank you)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisatyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently an OMS-I at LECOM. I have a couple of questions regarding rotations, residency, and post-graduate work in New York City. My boyfriend (pretty much fiance) is aiming to begin a PhD program in NYC once I start rotations, so I'm really trying to go to New York.

(I know some of this probably depends on specialty. As of right now, I don't want to commit myself to anything, but I'd like to go into primary care, so I'm going to pose the questions as if I'm going to family practice or peds.)

I'm not sure if there are any LECOMers out there, but if so, how feasible will it be to do some (if not all) of my rotations in NYC?

Also, how competitive are family practice residencies in NYC?

About post-residency work: does anyone know what the average annual salary for family practice DOs is right out of residency (also in NYC)?

Last question (sorry!): how does certification for a certain state work? If I'm board-certified in NY what does that mean if I want to move to another state?

Thanks so much; any information would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm currently an OMS-I at LECOM. I have a couple of questions regarding rotations, residency, and post-graduate work in New York City. My boyfriend (pretty much fiance) is aiming to begin a PhD program in NYC once I start rotations, so I'm really trying to go to New York.

(I know some of this probably depends on specialty. As of right now, I don't want to commit myself to anything, but I'd like to go into primary care, so I'm going to pose the questions as if I'm going to family practice or peds.)

I'm not sure if there are any LECOMers out there, but if so, how feasible will it be to do some (if not all) of my rotations in NYC?

About post-residency work: does anyone know what the average annual salary for family practice DOs is right out of residency (also in NYC)?

Last question (sorry!): how does certification for a certain state work? If I'm board-certified in NY what does that mean if I want to move to another state?

I go to a MD school in NYC and really wish I haven't come here. It's a dirty, smelly place.

But appearently others like it, so as a result NYC have some of the lowest salary for physicians.

My own hospital is not DO friendly, but I am sure there are plenty of programs are.

As far as LECOM rotations go, we are still waiting for the hospital list but the hospitals in NYC are all in Long Island.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.

@Protoss Carrier: I'm sorry you don't like NYC. Hope it gets better for you.

ACGME Family Medicine (ACGME programs) may be slightly more competitive in NYC compared to elsewhere just by virtue of location, but still attainable as a DO with decent board scores. Where the program is located will also make a difference. When non-New Yorkers talk about "New York City" they usually mean Manhattan, but there are programs in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx as well. Programs in Manhattan tend to be more competitive than those in the other boroughs.

Less than elsewhere.

Board certification is national, it doesn't matter which state you're in. You're confusing this with medical licensure, which is different. Once you finish residency training you can apply for a state license (or multiple state licenses) in order to practice medicine.

ACGME Family Medicine (ACGME programs) may be slightly more competitive in NYC compared to elsewhere just by virtue of location, but still attainable as a DO with decent board scores. Where the program is located will also make a difference. When non-New Yorkers talk about "New York City" they usually mean Manhattan, but there are programs in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx as well. Programs in Manhattan tend to be more competitive than those in the other boroughs.

Less than elsewhere.

Board certification is national, it doesn't matter which state you're in. You're confusing this with medical licensure, which is different. Once you finish residency training you can apply for a state license (or multiple state licenses) in order to practice medicine.

much less than elsewhere, I think, because most NYC doc accept medicare rate. Appearently they pay 5 bucks to read and interpert EKG. 5 bucks is not enough for appetitizer in most places.

Last edited: