New York City Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MR1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the fellowship programs in NYC have subsidized housing available in Manhattan. I am specifically interested in the retina fellowships but was wondering in general. My residency and home is not anywhere near NYC nor have I even been there but I can just imagine if you are a resident\fellow there it makes sense to live in Manhattan if that is where you work. I also can imagine it would be hard to find affordable housing on our salary.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the fellowship programs in NYC have subsidized housing available in Manhattan. I am specifically interested in the retina fellowships but was wondering in general. My residency and home is not anywhere near NYC nor have I even been there but I can just imagine if you are a resident\fellow there it makes sense to live in Manhattan if that is where you work. I also can imagine it would be hard to find affordable housing on our salary.

I've heard (did not go to NY to interview) that they do indeed provide subsidized housing at NYEE. Not sure about the rest of the NY programs but would not be surprised if they did. Despite that, salaries are poor and I think it's still tough to make ends meet. I have heard of fellows staffing Saturday resident clinics to make a little extra cash. At the end of the day, I'm sure you get enough to survive and not much more. If you plan on enjoying NY for the first time, this may not be the best way to do it!

I've heard (did not go to NY to interview) that they do indeed provide subsidized housing at NYEE. Not sure about the rest of the NY programs but would not be surprised if they did. Despite that, salaries are poor and I think it's still tough to make ends meet. I have heard of fellows staffing Saturday resident clinics to make a little extra cash. At the end of the day, I'm sure you get enough to survive and not much more. If you plan on enjoying NY for the first time, this may not be the best way to do it!

this is what I was wondering because living comfort matters a lot especially when you have kids. I know I'll be busy in fellowship and may not enjoy much about where I am but my family won't be that busy.