New York City residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingmonkeys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the fellowships that ppl from NY programs--especially NYU, NYEE, and Mt Sinai go into? If i go to any of these programs will i be able to get a surgical retina fellowship without too much trouble?

Members don't see this ad.

All I know is that NYEE is probably the best program in NYC in terms of clinical training, volume, and breadth of techniques. They've done really well in terms of placing into retina fellowships as well. But I can't say that I can directly compare them to the other two programs that you've listed.

Sorry wish I could help more.

Hands down, NYEE has the best clinical training in NYC. In terms of clinical experience, surgical volume and quality, no resident in NYC comes close to NYEE residents in clinical confidence at the end of three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about NYU? is that regarded as a good program also? Seemed like they were pretty happy when i visited vs. NYEE where it seemed like attendings didnt have a lot of interaction with their residents

when you guys say 'hands down the best clinical training in NYC' , are you talking just manhattan or all the borroughs? I interviewed at SUNY downstate last year and I think it had some unbelievable surgical numbers and trauma and pathology out the wazoo. I dont know much about the downstate reputation but I would think, from my experience on interview day, that it has to be in the conversation about best clinical program in NY. Am I wrong?

the new chairman, douglas jabs, at mt. sinai has to be amazing from what i heard. definitely he seems to be a great value for developing that program. can anyone post some details on mt. sinai and especially douglas jabs? thank you