New York dental school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentds17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to gather opinions as far as east coast schools go. Least familiar with the ones in NY so hoping to gain knowledge about those. However, if you attended or are planning to attend any around the east coast I’d love to hear about those. Just looking for opinions, I’ve heard a lot of people don’t like NYU cause it’s not reasonably priced, but if you have a different opinion please share. Thanks!
Background: 4.0 GPA, working on shadowing and volunteering hours, part of extracurriculars and a research internship

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know NYU is not reasonably priced
It's not that NYU is unreasonably priced, it's that it is absurdly priced. NYU will leave you $500,000 to $600,000 in debt. Do you know what that repayment will be like? You'll have to come up with around $4,500/month which is around $55,000/year. You'll have to do this for the next TWENTY YEARS! And, this is all after tax money, so you'll have to earn $70,000/year, give or take, just to cover your student loans. You want to specialize? You need to realize that many specialty programs charge tuition, some as much as $200,000+. Going to NYU and specializing afterwards could leave you pushing $1,000,000 in student loans. That is a heck of a lot of zeros! If you go to a crazy expensive dental school, when your loans come due, don't say that Big Hoss didn't warn you.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that NYU is unreasonably priced, it's that it is absurdly priced. NYU will leave you $500,000 to $600,000 in debt. Do you know what that repayment will be like? You'll have to come up with around $4,500/month which is around $55,000/year. You'll have to do this for the next TWENTY YEARS! And, this is all after tax money, so you'll have to earn $70,000/year, give or take, just to cover your student loans. You want to specialize? You need to realize that many specialty programs charge tuition, some as much as $200,000+. Going to NYU and specializing afterwards could leave you pushing $1,000,000 in student loans. That is a heck of a lot of zeros! If you go to a crazy expensive dental school, when your loans come due, don't say that Big Hoss didn't warn you.

Big Hoss

Thanks for your reply! Definitely have to take my loans into consideration when picking a school. Do you have any advice for other schools in the area, possibly better alternatives?

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of the class at Stonybrook goes on to specialization, but it is a very small class. A large number go on to specialize from Columbia, but the tuition is high. Buffalo is sort of in the middle. If you are from the NY metro area, I do not see why a NY school would be so important if Buffalo is in the mix. Penn is closer to NYC than Buffalo, and is an excellent choice. So is UConn for that matter.
NYU is super expensive and Touro is an unknown quantity at this point in time.
There are lots of other great dental schools your are discounting. Limiting to NY schools is putting yourself in a difficult situation. On the surface you appear to have stats that are competitive for now, but understand that lots of applicants will have those stats trying to get into low cost state schools. Not all NY residents go to NY colleges, but they come back for graduate school to attend low cost state university. The applicant pool is very large.

The majority of the class at Stonybrook goes on to specialization, but it is a very small class. A large number go on to specialize from Columbia, but the tuition is high. Buffalo is sort of in the middle. If you are from the NY metro area, I do not see why a NY school would be so important if Buffalo is in the mix. Penn is closer to NYC than Buffalo, and is an excellent choice. So is UConn for that matter.
NYU is super expensive and Touro is an unknown quantity at this point in time.
There are lots of other great dental schools your are discounting. Limiting to NY schools is putting yourself in a difficult situation. On the surface you appear to have stats that are competitive for now, but understand that lots of applicants will have those stats trying to get into low cost state schools. Not all NY residents go to NY colleges, but they come back for graduate school to attend low cost state university. The applicant pool is very large.
I will be applying to schools outside of New York. Location and staying close are just important to me, although I know that is not the case for some others. When it comes time to decide, I will put myself in the best position possible, even if that means Penn or UConn or any others outside NY. Do you have advice to make my stats more competitive? Anything else that will help an application stand out?

Last edited:
Long term EC related to service. Anyone can due a short stint. Long term demonstrates commitment. Research always looks good. Being part of a college team is always a plus. One of my current residents played on an Olympic team. Being a NASA astronaut is awesome if u want Harvard.

I will be applying to schools outside of New York. Location and staying close are just important to me

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying local or close .... but why? I'm from Alaska. Went to undergrad in Arizona. Dental school at a cheap state DS in the midwest. Ortho residency on the east coast. I was all over the place. Enjoyed the variety for the most part. I also consider myself very diverse from learning at a midwest and east coast school. The treatment philosophy taught is different between the west coast ... midwest and the east coast schools. But I was exposed to it all.

Diversity in teaching and philosophy is an advantage IMO.
Venture out. Meet new people and ideas.

I'm sure you have your reasons for staying local or close .... but why? I'm from Alaska. Went to undergrad in Arizona. Dental school at a cheap state DS in the midwest. Ortho residency on the east coast. I was all over the place. Enjoyed the variety for the most part. I also consider myself very diverse from learning at a midwest and east coast school. The treatment philosophy taught is different between the west coast ... midwest and the east coast schools. But I was exposed to it all.

Diversity in teaching and philosophy is an advantage IMO.
Venture out. Meet new people and ideas.
Thanks, do you have advice for getting into schools?

Big Hoss
So where did you go?

Reactions: 1 user