New York Licensing - any experience from IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJacobsDO152

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be starting my ENT residency this summer after receiving news that I am RTM after interviewing at several programs.

I was looking online and noticed that I need 60 credit hours from undergrad to be considered for licensing. Unfortunately, I did not finish college, but have 104 credit hours, and enrolled into a Caribbean medical school.

My question is does the NYC medical licensing board ask for undergraduate paper work to get licensed?

Members don't see this ad.

Will be starting my ENT residency this summer after receiving news that I am RTM after interviewing at several programs.

I was looking online and noticed that I need 60 credit hours from undergrad to be considered for licensing. Unfortunately, I did not finish college, but have 104 credit hours, and enrolled into a Caribbean medical school.

My question is does the NYC medical licensing board ask for undergraduate paper work to get licensed?
Take RTM with a grain of salt… unless they told you that they have ranked you within the exact number of spots they have…

Unless you are a troll, please wait to you actually match....It's hard enough matching ENT as a MD/DO from a US Med school, nonetheless from the Caribbean who doesn't hold a UG degree? Not sure this is a legit post.

Unless you are a troll, please wait to you actually match....It's hard enough matching ENT as a MD/DO from a US Med school, nonetheless from the Caribbean who doesn't hold a UG degree? Not sure this is a legit post.
Not a troll. Did research within the department. Left college with less than 12 credits left.

Take RTM with a grain of salt… unless they told you that they have ranked you within the exact number of spots they have…
Thanks for the post! Yes, my PD told me that her and the APD have ranked me #2 out of the 2 spots which we take.

Well dang! That is a different story! Congratulations!!

thank you so much! i'm certain you know & understand the struggles of IMGs trying to get into a competitive specialty, especially being one. always admired your posts from even when I just started applying. crazy to see how far you've come from your posts even back from valuemd. going back to the original question, do you have any insight on the licensure process for this in the state of NY?

after doing some more research, the physician licensure is not the same for residents. Is there a different application used to get credentialing for becoming a resident?

thank you so much! i'm certain you know & understand the struggles of IMGs trying to get into a competitive specialty, especially being one. always admired your posts from even when I just started applying. crazy to see how far you've come from your posts even back from valuemd. going back to the original question, do you have any insight on the licensure process for this in the state of NY?

after doing some more research, the physician licensure is not the same for residents. Is there a different application used to get credentialing for becoming a resident?
Congratulations!! And thank you! It is nice to hear …sometimes all you hear are complaints!
I don’t have that much insight into NYS licensing…but I’m sure your program coordinator will be in touch after match day to let you know what needs to be done.

Just celebrate the results of all your hard work and persistence!

Reactions: 1 user

Most residents are on a training license, which tends to not require as much effort as a full license.

That said, I agree with rokshana--wait until your program coordinator contacts you to discuss licensing.

When I was a resident in NY in the 2010s, we weren't required to have a license (even a training license). That's certainly different from other states where folks I knew in other programs did need a training license.

Your program will let you know if it's required.