New York Lodging...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKAY...No love for scooby...

What hotel is the cheapest in upper west side?
the newton?
Still no one wants to share a room?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yea...also.
Does it matter where I am at in NYC for say: Columbia, Sinai, and/or cornell/NYU (hoping and hoping on these :))

Do they have to be on upper west side?
Or can they be on eastside?
Or should i do westside one night and another one the other night?
Thanks!

Sorry can't answer you Scooby. =) but i had another question for those New yorkers... What airport is it the most convenient/cheapest to fly into if I'll be interviewing at Columbia and Einstein?

Members don't see this ad :)
LaGuardia, definitely. you can take the M60 bus to the upper west side for $1.50 from there. If you end up in JFK, you have to pay $35 in cab fees to get into manhattan. Newark is in NJ. There are a few car/van services that will take you into the city and they cost 10-20$

Newark can actually work pretty well. Olympia trails has great bus service to Manhattan regularly, with a few different stops (like the port authority). Look up the port authority's web site: they have GREAT info on getting around in NYC and to/from airports for cheap. Just don't do cabs; the price is obscene!
http://www.panynj.com used to have the info; it seems to be missing now...

Scooby - Check out the Comfort Inn Central Park West. I got a room in late October for $85 a night (AAA discount). The rate jumps up to over $100 after November 1st.

Thanks for all of the help!

I can't believe nobody has tried priceline---its a very good way to get a cheap room.

For example, a good friend of mine is staying in the Sheraton towers tonight (via priceline) for $69.00 before taxes...not too shabby :)

Expedia.com works okay too, you have to pay more, but you actually receive a choice. I am lucky, I have keys to two of my friends' apartments in the city, so for me its easy.

As far as where to stay, the train can take you wherever around the island, so don't fret if you're staying downtown and are interviewing at columbia--just take the A (express) train uptown and you could get from downtown to 168th street in less than 30 minutes.