New York Medical College or University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New York Medical College or University of Vermont College of Medicine

• New York Medical College

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • University of Vermont College of Medicine

Votes: 30 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipercub1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently deciding between New York Medical College and the University of Vermont College of Medicine - without regard to the cost of attendance, which school will offer the best educational experience, opportunities for research, and position myself best for residency?

Please share your thoughts below and participate in the poll.

Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ginger? Lol I feel like we've met.

Any other thoughts about New York Medical College or the University of Vermont College of Medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing of either school, but what would be important to me in regards to a curriculum would be match lists, grading system, whether lecture is mandatory, webcasts, presence of a specific specialty I am interested in pursuing, class size, research etc.

I had a friend interview at NYMC, and what sounded interesting to me was the fact you can rotate in NYC 3rd and 4th years, although you need to do the first 2 in rural westchester. Also, it seemed to not have a huge basic science research presence on campus, which I think UV has a lot more of.

In terms of residency, I remember a lot of the NYMC placed into programs in NYC, with a few getting into very competitive specialties. No clue about UV, although I'm sure they do pretty well. I'm sure if you ask the schools or students at the schools, they can provide you with this information

Looking at the match lists for both schools it seems that New York Medical College matches in more competitive fields and at highly ranked institutions as compared to the University of Vermont College of Medicine. Also, the Step 1 board scores are higher at NYMC than at UVM.

Any thoughts?

I know nothing of either school, but what would be important to me in regards to a curriculum would be match lists, grading system, whether lecture is mandatory, webcasts, presence of a specific specialty I am interested in pursuing, class size, research etc.

I had a friend interview at NYMC, and what sounded interesting to me was the fact you can rotate in NYC 3rd and 4th years, although you need to do the first 2 in rural westchester. Also, it seemed to not have a huge basic science research presence on campus, which I think UV has a lot more of.

In terms of residency, I remember a lot of the NYMC placed into programs in NYC, with a few getting into very competitive specialties. No clue about UV, although I'm sure they do pretty well. I'm sure if you ask the schools or students at the schools, they can provide you with this information
NYMC actually did away with NYC rotation sites. I had that impression going into the interview and was excited about it. They denied it flat out during the interview day.

NYMC actually did away with NYC rotation sites. I had that impression going into the interview and was excited about it. They denied it flat out during the interview day.

That is incorrect - NYMC still rotates at Lenox Hill and Metropolitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.