New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asdf77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions about the various NYMC programs? I'm a naive midwestern kid who knows practically nothing about NYC. It's kind of hard to get an understanding of what each program is about, and the websites don't have good info.
1. Brooklyn-Queens
2. Our Lady of Mercy
3. St. Vincent's Hospital
4. Sound Shore
5. Westchester

I'm looking for a solid program that can give me a chance at a decent fellowship. Not so worried about "big time rep" as solid program with good placement.

Members don't see this ad.

NYMC student replying here. I can't really speak too much on the specifics of the programs, just how I would place them as a surgery applicant.

In terms of training, I think Westchester and St. Vincents are probably about equal, the major difference being whether or not you want to be in NYC for the majority of your residency. The patient populations are also pretty different, obviously. Both hospitals have very few fellowships, so there's plenty of operative time. The faculty can be a bit harsh, at least at Westchester, but that's to be expected on the east coast.

I would put the Sound Shore program next. The one potential problem with that program is that the residents' time is divided between New Rochelle and Danbury, CT, which is about an hour away. Housing is available close to both hospitals, but it can be a bit of a pain to constantly be shifting. Again, with no fellowships, the residents can operate a lot. Faculty are a bit nicer than the other programs.

I have my own personal objections to OLM, and I don't know the Brooklyn program at all. Hope this helps a little. :)

There are about 2 thousand surgical residency programs in NY. Well at least it seems that way. I wanted to be on the east coast, and although I was generally opposed to NYC I thought that I would give it a shot anyway. I interviewed at Westchester. They have a nice campus, and nice hospital. I believe there is or was cheap housing for residents that was nearly impossible to get. Didn't meet very many residents there when I interviewed for the 2005 match and became suspicious and ranked them low. I also interviewed on Long Island, and at Einstein. Both were okay, but not right for me. I cancelled the rest of my NY interviews.