New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr'04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a number of you are from NY on this forum. What do you think of NYMC?

I really like their rotation options and they do astonishingly well on the boards.

When I was there, my interviewer mentioned something about the affiliation with the Archdiocese possibly changing and that it may affect rotations. I didn't completely grasp what he was talking about because I hadn't understood the Catholic affiliation there. Anyway, now I do and I can't remember what he actually said to me.

Can anyone please clue me in on what I'm talking about?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have several friends at NYMC, most of whom like it, but the other share the same sentiments with the rest of the class and reportedly, that is most students there are there because they're "stuck" with NYMC and had no other choice. I'm not sure if that's an entirely accurate picture of NYMC, but it's a start and it seems to be shared by many NYMC people on the net.

NYMC was founded in New York City as the first women's medical college in this area. Years later NYMC was invited by the town of Valhalla to start a campus in Westchester County, which is fairly close to NYC. As with most institutions, public or private, NYMC eventually fell into financial trouble in the early to late 1970s. To avoid collapse, the Catholic Archdiocese of New York agreed to support NYMC in the hopes of establishing a real Catholic medical school. Today that affiliation with the Catholic church has produced the medical school's affiliation with St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York City (in Greenwich Village, Manhattan). Should NYMC remove itself from the Catholic church, they'll be a more financially independent institution, but more importantly, they'll be religious free. Currently NYMC students do not learn procedures involving the termination of a pregnancy. Unfortunately, I'd assume, if NYMC lost its Catholic affiliation, they'd also lose their affiliation with St. Vincent's, which is their best rotation in Manhattan (the other being at Metropolitan Hospital, which is a tiny, kinda dumpy hospital in Northern Manhattan).

On the whole, I think NYMC is a great school and they've trained many capable and very influential physicians in New York, but with the lack of quality rotations in a good hospital in Manhattan (i.e., St. Vincent's), you might be better off attending another school (if that is an option).

My friends at NYMC tell me about their board pass rate, which is if I remember correctly, 100% and how they actually get that. Apparently NYMC exams are in USMLE form. Some liken an NYMC medical education to a two-year long USMLE review course, but I think that trivializes it. They have the numbers to show their great education, and their residency match list isn't half bad.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 02-17-2000).]

I like putting US medical school into three catagories :
1) public
2) private with a name or reputation ie yale
3) private no big brand name ie NYMC

Medical students tend to prefer public because it is cheap or the may pay for the brand name (ie yale). The last thing medical students want to do is pay for a non brand name like NYMC. This is why some NYMC students refer to being "stuck".

Abortion and birth control teaching is only restricted at catholic hospitals. NYMC has plently of public hospitals like metropolitan where you can learn about abortion and birth control.
Please note abortions are actually done at catholic hospitals in cases where you need to save the mothers life.
Residents at catholic hospitals are taught abortions either at the hospital or at an off site location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you don't want to do them (which I wouldn't) training in it would make you better prepared to counsel the patients who have questions about it...you don't have to perform the procedure, but you should be able to educate people about it.

I don't want to drag the mailing list discussion from SDOnline to SDN's lounge, but I am of the camp that says all doctors should know or understand all medical procedures (that means learning how to do, not just watching), and should be able to do these procedures when necessary (asked for by a patient or in medical emergency situations), or should be able to refer to a physician who will perform the procedure (provided the original physician can't bring himself to do it).

Tim of New York City.

I would like to learn every procedure but I don't know that I will do every procedure. I know most of the OB/GYNs in my hospital don't do ab's.

Do all public med schools teach abortion?

I go to a state school. I can only assume that all schools teach it in one way or another, save for the few with religious missions.

Tim of New York City.

hehe so this is not a med school to go to huh??? is it easy to get in tho???

The confused Freshman =)

You should go to the school if you think you'll be happy there. Don't let what I say determine where you'll get your medical degree. I think NYMC is a good school -- any med school in the US is good -- but it would be difficult for me to attend a school with a religious mission.

Tim of New York City.