1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

New York Methodist Hospital Anyone?

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by positivity, Mar 26, 2007.

1. positivity

positivity Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So I was thinking about applying to New York Methodist for IM after my step 2 results came out (took my exam kinda late) but I've noticed that out 10 positions they only filled one, and it seems it was a similar picture last year. Does anyone know anything about this place? Is there something wrong that I haven't heard about? Haunted by the souls of interns over-worked to death or something?!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've kept my mouth shut on this program for 2 years now but.... NYMH sucks about a million different ways. The reason they don't match year after year is that they basically rank nobody, preferring to go for those 99/99 USIMGs who didn't match in Derm and Plastics in the scramble. As a result, most of the people who wind up there didn't want to be in IM in the first place...and it shows. They (and LICH...in Boerum Hill Brooklyn) offer pre-mach spots to basically every US MS3 who rotates through their IM clerkship who express even the slightest interest in IM (I got a pre-match offer about 2 weeks into my rotation there).

The hospital is in an affluent neighborhood of Brooklyn (affluent like $1M dollar 2BR condos and kids in $30K/yr pre-schools) and the majority of those people choose to go to Manhattan for their care. It's essentially a county hospital that pretends to be a private place.

If you're an I/FMG who has to be in Brooklyn, you could do worse (Brookdale or CIH anyone?) but it's not the best place in New York...or Brooklyn.