New York Methodist Hospital Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking about applying to New York Methodist for IM after my step 2 results came out (took my exam kinda late) but I've noticed that out 10 positions they only filled one, and it seems it was a similar picture last year. Does anyone know anything about this place? Is there something wrong that I haven't heard about? Haunted by the souls of interns over-worked to death or something?!

Members don't see this ad.

I've kept my mouth shut on this program for 2 years now but.... NYMH sucks about a million different ways. The reason they don't match year after year is that they basically rank nobody, preferring to go for those 99/99 USIMGs who didn't match in Derm and Plastics in the scramble. As a result, most of the people who wind up there didn't want to be in IM in the first place...and it shows. They (and LICH...in Boerum Hill Brooklyn) offer pre-mach spots to basically every US MS3 who rotates through their IM clerkship who express even the slightest interest in IM (I got a pre-match offer about 2 weeks into my rotation there).

The hospital is in an affluent neighborhood of Brooklyn (affluent like $1M dollar 2BR condos and kids in $30K/yr pre-schools) and the majority of those people choose to go to Manhattan for their care. It's essentially a county hospital that pretends to be a private place.

If you're an I/FMG who has to be in Brooklyn, you could do worse (Brookdale or CIH anyone?) but it's not the best place in New York...or Brooklyn.