Quantcast

New York New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys, I want to apply to a school in NYC but I am a little uninformed about which would be best. NYMC gets way too many apps. I have a 3.7, tons of EC and hospital/research experience. I will be taking the MCAT in august so I am not sure what that is yet. I also am out of state. Anyone got any good suggestions. I know what schools there are (MSSM, NYU, Einstein, Cornell, Columbia), but I am hoping to get some info on them.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Albany is also good for out-of staters... and although they might not be high on your list, you might want to look into some of the state schools. I know that I met folks at my Buffalo and Stony Brook interviews that came from as far as Iowa and Arizona.

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dsherida said:
Hey guys, I want to apply to a school in NYC but I am a little uninformed about which would be best. NYMC gets way too many apps. I have a 3.7, tons of EC and hospital/research experience. I will be taking the MCAT in august so I am not sure what that is yet. I also am out of state. Anyone got any good suggestions. I know what schools there are (MSSM, NYU, Einstein, Cornell, Columbia), but I am hoping to get some info on them.
Always a good decision to apply to NYC schools. You can add Downstate to that list too, as I think they're somewhat receptive to out-of-staters.

As for more about the NYC schools, the best thing to do is run a search. They've all been discussed half to death. Also, I know MSSM, P&S, NYU and Cornell have somewhat active Class of 2008 threads in pre-allo. Those are always pretty good to read if you're interested in reading about the thought process that went into individuals choosing that particular school.

Best of luck.

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
just so you know, Albany, NYMC, and Stony Brook aren't in NY City. The only allopathics in the actual city are Mt. Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia (all Manhattan), Einstein (Bronx), and Downstate (Brooklyn). NYMC is in Westchester, Stony Brook is in Suffolk County (Long Island), and Albany is obviously in Albany.

mr. sparkle

Official Fishbulb Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't be turned off by nymc, but then again it's not ranked terribly high on any list. and as people pointed out before, you won't be in the city (at least for the first couple of years).

all the suny ones, as i am sure you know, have a preference for ny state residents.

all the others are good bets.

(rochester & albany are really good bets if you can stand being upstate).

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting the hell out of this city :scared:

Sorry I had a moment. Good advice given.

Cerbernator

Retired
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In defence of NYMC's location, sure you wont be in the city for the first two years but you can do your clinical years in Manhattan and the subsidized apartments don't look *too* shabby.

My favorite of all of those mentioned is probably MSSM. Just seems like a great school in a great location. Really, I'd be happy at most NY schools though.

Cerbernator

Retired
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NubianPrincess said:

you'll miss it when ya leave!!

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NubianPrincess said:

Girl... I was up north for 4 years... believe me, you don't want to go there... ;) But I do understand that when it's time to leave, it's time to leave. I haven't been back to live there (the boogie down) since I left college. Miss it sometimes, but it was the best thing to do. If anything, you can move to the Bronx - that's far enough upstate! :p

vinoyp

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cerbernator said:
In defence of NYMC's location, sure you wont be in the city for the first two years but you can do your clinical years in Manhattan and the subsidized apartments don't look *too* shabby.

As it turns out, NYMC is selling it's 95th street apartment building in Manhattan. Heh.

--Vinoy

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged from applying to SUNY schools from out of state. I applied to Downstate as a NC resident last year and was accepted. I hear that the SUNY schools are not as stringent with their in-state quotas as others.

ribsandbbqbeef

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Albert Einstein is also not in Manhattan. It's in "da Bronx!" :D But it is only a train ride or bus ride away from the city. NYMC is actually not that much further from the city than Einstein.

Einstein students bump into a lot of NYMC students at the nearby cafes (in Yonkers & Scarsdale).

~ribs.

illiniTJ

Oskee Wow Wow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ooooh NYU what I'd give to go there and rent a room from the Olsen twins' 7 million dollar apartment -

J/K, but NYU is one of my top picks :thumbup:

Domitian

Veni, Vidi, Vici
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I can make it there... I'll make it anywhere... it's up to you, New York, New York. (*joins kickline*)

OK. Sorry. I'm done now.