New York, New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoatBoy

Manboob Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to NYU or is at NYU? I was wondering how are the dorms at NYU (specifically the 26th Street Residence near the Dental and Med School)? Where do most of the people stay while at NYU, ie. dorms or on their own?
Is it cheaper staying on your own or in the dorms?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is cheap in the rotten apple. NYU is rich though. They have pretty good dorms. Don't worry the corporation (NYU) will take good care of you.

thanks for your reply.
also, how about rats and roaches? I dont know about NYU, but i know other dorms are infested with this type of stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
If you live in New York you've just got to get used to roaches. The trick is not to fight them. Just think of them as little roommates. Who knows, it might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Mikado,

Anti-dentist and anti-NYU, I see. :)

NYU has the best dorms on the planet. Most of them have few infestation problems, although one dorm I was in as an undergraduate had rats -- but it was a converted warehouse in the West Village.

Most students stay in university housing because it's a lot cheaper than finding a place on your own. If you have the option of staying at the 26th Street Residence, I'd say do it. What about the building on 27th Street (behind the Dental Center)? Is that open to dental students as well? I don't remember.

Good luck.

Turtleboard - Did you even READ my post. I'm not anti-NYU. I said their dorms are good and that he would be well taken care of there.

That would damn well want to be the case considering what NYU charges in tuition and rent. It's one of the top five most expensive undergrad schools on planet earth, or something, isn't it?

Notice that Mikado did not take exception to the anti dentist accusation by trutleboard.

I remember the dorm rooms in NYU (I stayed with a medical student host for my med interview) being kind of small. They have the hall bathroom system (two large unisex bathroom per floor I think) But they do take good care of you there, and there is a doorman/guard there 24/7. There is a low level of crime in the dorms too, which is good. The kitchens have tons of microwaves too, but the messiness of it depends on the people living on that floor.

Also, the student I stayed with that first through fourth years stay there. I also met some first-years who stayed in the couples housing, and some who had fiancees that could afford the $1000+/month rent for apartments nearby :)

Originally posted by Mikado:
•Don't worry the corporation (NYU) will take good care of you.•

Referring to NYU as a "corporation" is a hint that you're not too fond of the university. I'm not crazy about it either, but after seeing the kind of crap other institutions do, I'd take it over most other places any day. :)

In terms of cost, most universities charge what their closest peer institutions (read: competitors) charge. NYU claims to charge slightly below its main competitor institutions. NYU claims its peer institutions hail mainly from the Ivy League.

But if you want to attend a school that charges WAY ABOVE what its peer institutions charge, attend Adelphi University in Garden City (Long Island), New York. They charge almost double what comparable institutions charge, but that was apparently due to some high-level money scam the former President was running.

The NYU med school dorms are different from the rest of the university. The older dorms (the dorms caffeine girl stayed in) are pretty old and, from what I've heard, mainly first and some second-years/graduate students stay there. More senior students opt to move across the street to the newer facility which is a three bedroom apartment much nicer than the single dorm room with a community bathroom.

NYU dorm is quite expensive..on the order of 1,300 - 1,400 for one's own room. They are clean, that is if you are clean. The building is secure and the staff are nice. you get free light bulbs, toilet paper, fast access to the internet since they upgraded the dorm. Electricity and heating is paid for so less you have to worry about. Good place to make new dental buddies. But after the first year, get the hell out of there. Housing outside is expensive and maybe smaller, but you may have luck in finding a nice...relatively nice...place. But certainly first year, stay in the dorm. Oh, don't register for their meal plan. Good luck first year...well second semester that is.