New York State GPR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalP87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the wage is like for newly graduated dentists from New York State (NYU, Buffalo, Columbia etc..) as GPRs?

It would suck if you have to go through 4 years of dental school only to realize that u have to lose another year of finance IF GPR pays $30k, for example ;(

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the wage is like for newly graduated dentists from New York State (NYU, Buffalo, Columbia etc..) as GPRs?

It would suck if you have to go through 4 years of dental school only to realize that u have to lose another year of finance IF GPR pays $30k, for example ;(

Thanks in advance!

Unsure... however you can practice right across the way in NJ (for example) for a year and then go back to NY and not have to do GPR, atleast that was my understanding of it... maybe I'm wrong.

By law if you want to practice in NY state you have to complete a 1 yr GPR. However, there are not as many places (outside of NYC) to actually to a 1yr GPR in NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies guys. hopefully someone can give us some numbers!

You can search most of the the GPR and AEGDs in country through this website.

http://www5.adea.org/EPS/searchform.asp

Any program you link to, look for the "GME" section of the website (Graduate Medical Education) and then look for "PGY1 salary" to figure out how much you will be paid (Post Graduate Year 1). On average, you can expect a salary of 45K (before taxes) and benefits for doing a one year GPR. This average goes up or down by a few thousand depending on the city and program and may go up a little due to inflation by the time you graduate form dental school. An AEGD pays less with a salary somewhere in the 30K range.

I don't think you can just go work in New Jersey for a year and then return to New York and be able to get a New York license. From reading the NY State dental licensing website, it appears the only way to get around the PGY1 requirement is to practice for at least 2 years in another state where you are licensed and then apply for licensure by endorsement.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/dentlic.htm

The salary for my PGY 1 GPR residents is 56K with a full benefit package and CIR money for CE and educational materials. This is a contractual salary for most hospitals in my network. And BTW, you must complete an accredited residency in NY to get a license now.

The salary for my PGY 1 GPR residents is 56K with a full benefit package and CIR money for CE and educational materials. This is a contractual salary for most hospitals in my network. And BTW, you must complete an accredited residency in NY to get a license now.

hey doc,

are these GPRs in your network?

NEW YORK METHODIST
BROOK DALE
LONG ISLAND JEWISH
NORTH SHORE JEWISH
CARITAS
KINGSBROOK JEWISH
JACOBI
KINGS COUNTY
THE NEW YORK HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER

Does anyone know anything about Wyckoff Heights MC in Brooklyn? They recently merged with Caritas Health Care but I'm not able to find any information on the program. They don't seem to be in PASS either. If anyone knows any current residents there or have any info it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

hey doc,

are these GPRs in your network?

NEW YORK METHODIST
BROOK DALE
LONG ISLAND JEWISH
NORTH SHORE JEWISH
CARITAS
KINGSBROOK JEWISH
JACOBI
KINGS COUNTY
THE NEW YORK HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER

I am the GPR Program Director at Jacobi. Kings County is also an HHC hospital and should be under the same contract. Caritas is closing. The other hospitals on this list are private.

I am the GPR Program Director at Jacobi. Kings County is also an HHC hospital and should be under the same contract. Caritas is closing. The other hospitals on this list are private.

thank you for the info doc.

By law if you want to practice in NY state you have to complete a 1 yr GPR. However, there are not as many places (outside of NYC) to actually to a 1yr GPR in NY.

There are many GPRs and AEGDs around the country that would count for NY.
GPRs are paying mid to high 40's plus paid vacations, benefits... and you are paid to learn, paid while you gain experience and efficiency.

$56K... and a good program, hmmm... do you take older dentists who retired at that rate<g>

I agree NYC residents pay more... and they give great experience

You can do the GPR or AEGD in any state. You can even do an ADA accredited specialty residency and as long as you complete it and get your certificate, that will count too.

$56K... and a good program, hmmm... do you take older dentists who retired at that rate<g>

I agree NYC residents pay more... and they give great experience

Come on up, we've got plenty of patients.....and snow these days. Won't see you at SCD this year, going to ADEA instead.

Come on up, we've got plenty of patients.....and snow these days. Won't see you at SCD this year, going to ADEA instead.

I will see you at ADEA.... the section of OD/OM doing presentation on case based learning
I will be at both meetings

Last edited:

Hello, could you please tell me if there is any opening for GPR as of now?
Thank you.