New York State License Question for Nephrology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThaMiLay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

1. I'm currently PGY-3 IM in Florida. I will be doing my Nephro Fellow in NY in July 2011. Do I need NY state license/training license for Nephro Fellow?

2. Second question, is there any advantage to get the Florida state license?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

1. I'm currently PGY-3 IM in Florida. I will be doing my Nephro Fellow in NY in July 2011. Do I need NY state license/training license for Nephro Fellow?
Ask your incoming program coordinator what the rules are. Your program/institution may have more stringent rules than the state does.

2. Second question, is there any advantage to get the Florida state license?

Are you still a resident? Do you plan to moonlight this year? If you don't plan on working outside a training program and your program doesn't require it, I don't see any benefit of going through the hassle of getting a license now. It's expensive and troublesome and if you're not ever going to use it, why bother getting it?

My program didn't require a license but one of the outside rotations we were required to complete wouldn't take us unless we were licensed. As gutonc said, it is institution-dependent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you still a resident? Do you plan to moonlight this year? If you don't plan on working outside a training program and your program doesn't require it, I don't see any benefit of going through the hassle of getting a license now. It's expensive and troublesome and if you're not ever going to use it, why bother getting it?

especially the FLA license. Its pretty expensive (1200 this year) and it takes forever to get it. I did paperwork for mine this year coming from a program in MA and it took 2.5 months.