Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

new york state residents, SUNY upstate or drexel?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zurned, Dec 3, 2005.

1. zurned

zurned Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

SUNY upstate would be cheaper for me because im an NY resident. But Drexel seemed like such a nice place to learn (facilities, ppl, etc). And philly is closer to nyc which is where my family is and the weather is nicer too than in syracuse. Neither of these schools are what you would call prestigious, so which would you choose?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say Drexel if you are willing to take out the loans.....I think Syracuse has the most gray days of any city in the U.S.

4. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I doubt is compares to Seattle for number of gray days.

5. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

interesting question. Im a new york resident myself and would have tough time with that decsion. Syracuse is so rural and being a suburban/big city (grew up on long island) guy myself i really couldnt picture living in that area. That being said it is a pretty big difference in price. At drexel you will have alot more opportunitites for research and to make some contacts with all the other schools around and just being in a big city. See what drexels finacial aid package is like then make a decision. Personally, id be willing to take an extra 50k in loans to be in philly instead of syracuse.

6. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

sorry to bring this up but some of you guys act like we're gonna have time in med school to go out and enjoy ourselves. we're not. we're gonna be indoors 23.5 hours of the day either in class, studying or sleeping. i don't know how many med students you know but that's the harsh reality. and when you do have vacation time you go back home or elsewhere. suny upstate would be cheaper and would probably have more research opportunities for the OP given that upstate has a way smaller class size. its definitely not worth it if you ask me. i would go with upstate.
    -mota

7. cardsurgguy

cardsurgguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you think Syracuse is rural, you have no idea what rural is...

If you have been to Syracuse (ie interviewed at Upstate) and you think this, then that's fine.
    But you shouldn't make assumptions if you haven't been there or have just driven by on the thruway.

Don't have the stereotypical downstate view which I have heard many times before that anything above Westchester is rural farmland.
    Couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, ok, most of upstate NY is rural areas. For example, I met people in college who were from some rural areas in upstate NY, one of whom graduated from a school with a class of 11 people simply because there was so few people around.

However, Syracuse, along with Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo are all urban areas with suburbs around them.
    I grew up in a suburb around one of these cities and graduated with 620 people from HS.
    I also went to college in one of these cities.

Granted they aren't NYC urban, but according to the 2000 census only 9 cities in the entire country have over 1 million people (only 3 of them have over 2 million-Chicago with 2.9, LA with 3.8, and NYC with 8), let alone 8 million like NYC, so most places aren't going to be like NYC, but they also will not be rural farmland
    (no, I didn't look this up now for this post, I had to look this info up a few months ago for a project)

By the way. Stony Brook is infinitely more rural than Syracuse... Much of Westchester (like where NYMC is) is also way more rural than Syracuse also.

8. cardsurgguy

cardsurgguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To the OP, you should go to whichever one makes you the happiest. However, the money difference will be huge. 50,000 is low. The difference in tuition alone is probably going to be more than that (probably around 60,000). Now add in difference in cost of living. You'll probably be paying at least double (another 500-600 a month) for rent in Philly than in Syracuse. Multiply this by 4 years, so another 25,000-30,000. So that's 80,000-90,000 extra. Also, add in the amount of interest that all this extra cash will give you. Gets messy. (although you're probably use to ridiculous rents since you're from NYC)

But again, if you think you'll be much much happier, go with Drexel. You got time to think about it though. Go to second look weekends and make a game time decision.

The weather is something most people can't stand. If you don't like snow, do yourself a favor and throw Syracuse out. Technically speaking, it has more snow accumulation than anywhere else in NY, including Buffalo which is known for snow.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

9. finch

finch Member
    5+ Year Member

Personally, I'd go to upstate. The school has a friendly atmosphere and a great match list. It is almost certain to be much cheaper. But I'm just a premed, so what do I know?

10. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Been to syracuse many times. My cousin played football for them in the early 90's and i was recruited by syracuse myself. I have spent a ton of time up in syracuse. No it is not very rural but rural, and very cold. Personally, i really would be much happier living in a big city NYC, LA, Atlanta, Miami etc. or in the suburbs of those cities. To me where im living is more important than money, its only money you can always make more of it. You cant get back the 3 or 4 years of your life if your unhappy.

11. PAPPAPPAP

PAPPAPPAP Member
    5+ Year Member

DaMota.. I don't know who you talk to... but med students don't have to spend their whole life studying.. some do, but they would be the exception. Therefore, your location does count...and philly is a pretty interesting city.

I'm a first year at Drexel and I love it here. I only have positive things to say about the education and the experience in general. Pick Drexel.

12. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OP-

There is both good and terrible advice for you on this thread, IMHO.

I grew up near Upstate, and I'm now at Stony Brook. I can't see how anyone could say that the area immediately around Upstate is rural (especially compared to the area around Stony Brook on Long Island) but the broader area that Upstate serves is indeed rural. I also noted that you didn't mention "ruralness" as an issue. If you are remotely social, there's no way you'll spend all day studying, or at least the folks at SB don't.

I'd concur with everyone saying to go where you'll be happy. Not "I like the cafeteria here better" , but avocations/family/clubbing/cultural events/etc happy - those things that you do to have a life. You, in my opinion, want to be where you can be happy when you need to blow off steam or stress, where you think you can access support networks, and where you can picture yourself for four years. BUT, I also strongly encourage you to think about the finances. Make sure you harass both schools for scholarships and grants. If you think you could be happy at both schools, I'd vote for the cheaper one. I got into eight okay schools - had my heart on Emory, but their 60K budget for each of four years is a bitter pill compared to SUNYs 41K for four. 80K difference?!? For the same two letters after my name?

In terms of *watch out* factors, Upstate has had some interesting issues keeping faculty in a department or two (interventional radiology comes to mind), and Drexel has a funny name change/financial scare thing every so often.

Go with your gut. And congrats - you'll be a doctor no matter where you go!

Best of luck.

dc