New York Times article on Caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X vs 2.5X. THAT is all. Give it up -- you just don't get it. Virtually everyone on this thread further along than you in this process is telling you you aren't understanding your own data. You have much to learn and usually when everybody else's interpretation of the facts is different than yours a smart person will take a step back and wonder whether they are the ones who are confused. To some extent your success in medicine will turn on grasping that there is much you don't know or understand. There is no shame in learning. There is in insisting that wrong is right, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

.7 to 1.7/1 to 2.5. I'm giving numbers that clearly show an advantage towards allopathic. They also show its possible as a DO. I talked to doctors who are DO dermatologists. They seemed to struggle more and had to fight more but they still got it. My point is it is possible. You can't deny that or else the .7 wouldn't exist. Even my father who is an allopathic who did residencies at great hospitals and is one of the 3 most competive allo fields admits its possible as a DO also. Harder but possible. (tbh I kinda biased toward allo if anything)

Members don't see this ad.

No and for various reasons. Some don't have residency programs, and a few feel "we can get all the quality MD residents we want". But others, including a few University Medical centers, are taking our grads. All it takes is one good one to kick open the door.

Goro do you think hospitals by your school take your students preferentially over schools they don't have a track record with? Even if that other school may be "better."

BTW kids, this thread has gone way off topic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No and for various reasons. Some don't have residency programs, and a few feel "we can get all the quality MD residents we want". But others, including a few University Medical centers, are taking our grads. All it takes is one good one to kick open the door.

BTW kids, this thread has gone way off topic.

That it has and good to know goro. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
I'm already in big guy.

Where is my logical flaw in that post? Is it where I gave a statistic? Or was it when I rediculuced someone for quoting someone else and pretending it was me?

I haven't received secondaries yet either and I am not yet verified. So i'm pretty sure you need to be verified.
"I want osteopathy to prosper; it is common sense, and scientific and cures a wider range of ailments than the [orthodox] doctor's methods can reach." -Mark Twain
DoctorSynthesis, Sunday at 8:47 PM

Hmm, "already in big guy?"

I haven't received secondaries yet either and I am not yet verified. So i'm pretty sure you need to be verified.
"I want osteopathy to prosper; it is common sense, and scientific and cures a wider range of ailments than the [orthodox] doctor's methods can reach." -Mark Twain
DoctorSynthesis, Sunday at 8:47 PM

Hmm, "already in big guy?"
Bs/do program. Chose DO out of high school before doing any class or MCAT. The really fly's in the face of the notion that people only choose DO because they can't get MD or they would 100% take MD over DO.

Last edited:
Bs/do program. Don't you feel dumb? Chose DO out of high school before doing any class or MCAT. The really fly's in the face of the notion that people only choose DO because they can't get MD or they would 100% take MD over DO.

Actually, I do not feel dumb. I commend you on your decision to do DO right out of high school, and also that you are defending your choice and the profession of DO in general.

Actually, I do not feel dumb. I commend you on your decision to do DO right out of high school, and also that you are defending your choice and the profession of DO in general.

Now I feel bad I edited my original post. And thanks bro I'm very passionate about osteopathy as some here can see. You just gave the response I see some from allopathic medical student and physicians. Best of luck to you

Bs/do program. Chose DO out of high school before doing any class or MCAT. The really fly's in the face of the notion that people only choose DO because they can't get MD or they would 100% take MD over DO.
I know of only three people who went the BS/DO route. All three did it because they couldn't get into BS/MD.

Would they ever admit it to anyone except close friends? No. Strangers on the internet? Never.

Of course, I'm sure they are the exception, and everyone who is accepted to BS/MD schools go the BS/DO route.

@Doctor synthesis: I never said all DO's have those stats. You know damn well you're just being devil's advocate instead of accepting what I say. Multiple times in my posts I alluded to means/averages. I conceded that a DO trained individual could do very well on boards and so forth.

As someone brought up earlier, you are taking things personally and this is clouding your perception of what we are trying to say.

Good luck with things. I'm sure you'll be a fabulous Doctor. Just remember that DOs with a complex about being a DO are almost as much of an issue as those misguided individuals who think DOs don't have the potential to be an equally good medical provider as an MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck with things. I'm sure you'll be a fabulous Doctor. Just remember that DOs with a complex about being a DO are almost as much of an issue as those misguided individuals who think DOs don't have the potential to be an equally good medical provider as an MD.
Beautiful, just beautiful... *wipes away tear*

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of only three people who went the BS/DO route. All three did it because they couldn't get into BS/MD.

Would they ever admit it to anyone except close friends? No. Strangers on the internet? Never.

Of course, I'm sure they are the exception, and everyone who is accepted to BS/MD schools go the BS/DO route.

My friends got into multiple bs/MD programs and went to my bs/do program. Some are going DO now and some are going MD.

I applied to one BS/MD program. I got the interview and they said no because I wasn't local to the area and only took 4 local students. Whatever. If I really wanted MD I would have went the traditional route. I chose the DO program because I wanted to be a DO. (Free undergrad was a plus). Only reason I applied to that MD program was because I was just applying to that school regularly and they sent me an email to apply and I said why not.

But yes keep bashing DOs. I have no reason to lie I have nothing to hide.

@Doctor synthesis: I never said all DO's have those stats. You know damn well you're just being devil's advocate instead of accepting what I say. Multiple times in my posts I alluded to means/averages. I conceded that a DO trained individual could do very well on boards and so forth.

As someone brought up earlier, you are taking things personally and this is clouding your perception of what we are trying to say.

I'm sorry bro but you said people chose do and primary when they get there 3.3s and 27. (Touro's MCAT average is >30)

And to be honest I don't have a complex. I respect MDs. I don't believe DOs are better I believe they are equal. I will fight the notion that MDs are superior like type 12 said. No DO would say they are no where close.

Last edited:
Probably conflating the other UCLA-affiliated programs like Harbor or Olive View. Common mistake (or for the more skeptical among us - deliberate deception) by the carib programs.

Yeah, Harbor. I had no idea it was different!

To be honest guys all I'm looking for here is a little respect for DOs. The notion that DOs are just MD rejects may be true for some but isn't for everyone.

Only reason I'm here in the first place was to fight pro carribean sentiments and that led to one thing which lead to another.

Ridiculous notions kept popping up (DOs can't help poor nations/Carribean may be better in some instances etc) and that didn't sit well with me.

To be honest guys all I'm looking for here is a little respect for DOs. The notion that DOs are just MD rejects may be true for some but isn't for everyone.

Only reason I'm here in the first place was to fight pro carribean sentiments and that led to one thing which lead to another.

Ridiculous notions kept popping up (DOs can't help poor nations/Carribean may be better in some instances etc) and that didn't sit well with me.
You're looking for respect on an anonymous online forum... Look elsewhere, and that's the wrong reason to go into medicine.

No one ever said DOs cannot help poor nations; caribbean is better in some instances as even you have yielded to that (Spain!).

I think you need to come to terms with certain truths, and you should learn that something is true whether you believe it or not. That includes your issue with the statistical gap in derm.

You're looking for respect on an anonymous online forum... Look elsewhere, and that's the wrong reason to go into medicine.

No one ever said DOs cannot help poor nations; caribbean is better in some instances as even you have yielded to that (Spain!).

I think you need to come to terms with certain truths, and you should learn that something is true whether you believe it or not. That includes your issue with the statistical gap in derm.

Really no one has said anything about ignoring the rest of the world and being in it for the money? Hmmm I think someone did say that. Who said it though? That's right you did.

QUOTE:

"There's a lot grey on that map you linked to. I get you want to speculate that it's "okay" to fake it at the rest of the grey areas, and that you should ignore people in underdeveloped places, but again, I don't think everyone goes into medicine for the money and to ignore the rest of the world. It's a factor people should be aware of, so stop trying to hide it with "probably no problem!" BS.There's a lot grey on that map you linked to. I get you want to speculate that it's "okay" to fake it at the rest of the grey areas, and that you should ignore people in underdeveloped places, but again, I don't think everyone goes into medicine for the money and to ignore the rest of the world. It's a factor people should be aware of, so stop trying to hide it with "probably no problem!" BS."

You are such a friggen liar.

I already posted the AMA reddit thread where they said OK to DO and no to PA due to international licensing problems.

I agree if you want to practice in spain don't go do go to a Spanish medical school.

I also admit to the statistical gap but I still know DO dermatologists and its possible. As goro said you only need one.

I'm not personally looking for respect im looking for respect for DOs as a whole.

Really no one has said anything about ignoring the rest of the world and being in it for the money? Hmmm I think someone did say that. Who said it though? That's right you did.

QUOTE:

"There's a lot grey on that map you linked to. I get you want to speculate that it's "okay" to fake it at the rest of the grey areas, and that you should ignore people in underdeveloped places, but again, I don't think everyone goes into medicine for the money and to ignore the rest of the world. It's a factor people should be aware of, so stop trying to hide it with "probably no problem!" BS.There's a lot grey on that map you linked to. I get you want to speculate that it's "okay" to fake it at the rest of the grey areas, and that you should ignore people in underdeveloped places, but again, I don't think everyone goes into medicine for the money and to ignore the rest of the world. It's a factor people should be aware of, so stop trying to hide it with "probably no problem!" BS."

You are such a friggen liar.
Wow, so delusional and out of context. I'm talking about you in that quote, not DOs. Where the #### do you see DOs? I'm talking about your own motivations, based on all the straw men you pulled previously.

Are you genuinely this incoherent, or are you deliberately trying to twist things? If you're going to quote, at least quote properly. YOU are ignoring the rest of the world, thinking everything will be okay just because you say so. I didn't say DOs are. Did I say there are DOs doing "vigilante" medicine in Spain or some BS? Wake up, seriously.

I already posted the AMA reddit thread where they said OK to DO and no to PA due to international licensing problems.
Same problem: nowhere in that thread did they say DOs can practice where they are not allowed to because they are part of DSM. Your nail in the coffin is very much like your logic, twisted and unhinged.

I'm not personally looking for respect im looking for respect for DOs as a whole.
Again, you're looking for respect on an online forum, Jones. Wrong place, buddy.

Wow, so delusional and out of context. I'm talking about you in that quote, not DOs. Where the #### do you see DOs? I'm talking about your own motivations, based on all the straw men you pulled previously.

Are you genuinely this incoherent, or are you deliberately trying to twist things? If you're going to quote, at least quote properly. YOU are ignoring the rest of the world, thinking everything will be okay just because you say so. I didn't say DOs are. Did I say there are DOs doing "vigilante" medicine in Spain or some BS? Wake up, seriously.

Same problem: nowhere in that thread did they say DOs can practice where they are not allowed to because they are part of DSM. Your nail in the coffin is very much like your logic, twisted and unhinged.

Again, you're looking for respect on an online forum, Jones. Wrong place, buddy.

Out of context? Ha. I gave the whole paragraph. You guys are quoting one liners. I'm the only one giving context.

Lying and backpedal again I see.

So you were talking about me ha? Where did I mention that I all I care about is money and don't care about helping poor nations? Wait a minute! I never said that. Does it make any sense you are talking about me then? Nope. Why would you accuse someone who is interested in primary care in underserved areas of caring about money and not carrying about poor nations? You wouldn't and you weren't doing that. Clearly you are talking about DOs. That whole discussion was about DO international pratice rights. You were mentioning a map about DO pratice rights. CLEARLY you are talking about DOs. Even if you were talking about me (you weren't) then you still would be saying I'm only interested in DO because I don't care about poor nations and I instead care about money. You still made the connection between being a DO and not carring about poor nations. Whereas if you carred about the nations you would go MD (by your logic that even includes inferior carribean programs).

You are such a lying little c**t.

Why would MSF allow DOs if they couldn't pratice? What do you think they would do? Just sit there and twiddle there thumbs? Those poor nations are going to let there people go without medical care because the doctor has a different but equal degree? Talk about delusional.

Also I give plenty of respect to allopaths I think its certainly resonable to expect that people just don't start trashing DOs.

Last edited:
Out of context? Ha. I gave the whole paragraph. You guys are quoting one liners. I'm the only one giving context.

Lying and backpedal again I see.

So you were talking about me ha? Where did I mention that I all I care about is money and don't care about helping poor nations? Wait a minute! I never said that. Does it make any sense you are talking about me then? Nope. Why would accuse someone who is interested in primary care in underserved areas of caring about money and no carrying about poor nations? You wouldn't and you weren't doing that. Clearly you are talking about DOs. That whole discussion was about DO international pratice right. You were mentioned a map about DO pratice rights. CLEARLY you are talking about DOs. Even if you were talking about me (you weren't) then you still would be saying I'm only interested in DO because I don't care about poor nations and I instead care about money. You still made the connection between being a DO and not carring about poor nations.

So are such a lying little c**t.
Here's your full quote, where you contradict yourself. How do you manage to do it in order? Try to hide it by spacing it out at least.

Your ability to make up your own conclusions is incredulous. I know who I was talking about, Jonesey, and so many people have told you how delusional you are. At a certain point, you're going to have to face it, or AT LEAST consider it.

If you continue to FAIL AND BE COMPLETELY OBLITERATED by your inability to demonstrate something, there's no point in talking with you any further. You are compensating for a sub-30 MCAT.

Now, just because you refuse to believe I accused you of having ulterior motives just like many others have, doesn't make it untrue. Your approach is illogical. I AM ACCUSING you, and you even have admitted moments ago you were seeking respect rather than serving others. There are so many signs you are overcompensating throughout this thread. It makes your intentions clear.

So, I was CLEARLY talking about you, you failure. If you want me not to insult you and show you some modicum of respect, grow up, little Indy, and stop with the name calling.
Why would MSF allow DOs if they couldn't pratice? What do you think they would do? Just sit there and twiddle there thumbs? Those poor nations are going to let there people go without medical care because the doctor has a different but equal degree? Talk about delusional.

Also I give plenty of respect to allopaths I think its certainly resonible to expect that people just don't start trashing DOs.
Who said they couldn't practice? Make sure to quote full if you are going to quote, because I said there are places they cannot practice, and friction in others. I never said they cannot practice, period, you dolt. Again, you're straw manning your way out. If you think you can do anything you want in another country because you are some big-shot DO, boy, you're going to find yourself losing your license very quickly, lol.

Your level of entitlement is ridiculous: you name-call and expect respect.

Last edited:
The mentality of some of these kids absolutely kills me.

"Ya, I know I only got a 25 on my MCAT, and my GPA is crappy, but I KNOW I'm gonna be a great doctor. I'll just go to a Caribbean school and I'll be a doctor."

So you're telling me that you couldn't really muster a competitive application against the average pre-med in the US, but you're gonna go take Step 1 and compete against the best of those premeds who actually got into medical school? What makes people think they'll get a good score on Step 1 (which is the exam that plays a major role in determining if and where you match) if they can't even hack the MCAT?

Not everyone wants to go neurodermasurgery... family practice, peds, PM&R (the less competitive specialties) are still doctors too. So you're telling me that because an average or below average student who isnt pretentious as ****, doesnt deserve to be or is capable of being a physician? lol way to potentiate that classic SDN sterotype. MCAT and GPA have zero indication of the quality of doctor one will become.

Here's your full quote, where you contradict yourself. How do you manage to do it in order? Try to hide it by spacing it out at least.

Your ability to make up your own conclusions is incredulous. I know who I was talking about, Jonesey, and so many people have told you how delusional you are. At a certain point, you're going to have to face it, or AT LEAST consider it.

If you continue to FAIL AND BE COMPLETELY OBLITERATED by your inability to demonstrate something, there's no point in talking with you any further. You are compensating for a sub-30 MCAT.

Now, just because you refuse to believe I accused you of having ulterior motives just like many others have, doesn't make it untrue. Your approach is illogical. I AM ACCUSING you, and you even have admitted moments ago you were seeking respect rather than serving others. There are so many signs you are overcompensating throughout this thread. It makes your intentions clear.

So, I was CLEARLY talking about you, you failure. If you want me not to insult you and show you some modicum of respect, grow up, little Indy, and stop with the name calling.

Who said they couldn't practice? Make sure to quote full if you are going to quote, because I said there are places they cannot practice, and friction in others. I never said they cannot practice, period, you dolt. Again, you're straw manning your way out. If you think you can do anything you want in another country because you are some big-shot DO, boy, you're going to find yourself losing your license very quickly, lol.

Your level of entitlement is ridiculous: you name-call and expect respect.

I'm going to call a spade a spade. I don't even know this Jones person. If he has a problem with me then let him say that to me. You don't need to talk for anyone but yourself.

Also who said I have a sub 30 MCAT? I never said that. That's funny if you think that's true.

You can say I condratict myself all you want but you never ever give proof to the matter.

I post facts. If you don't like that its your problem. I showed the map already and showed DOs can do doctors without borders. You think those poor nations are really going to sit there and make policies on whether DOs can practice (when they have none) when there people are starving? Ha. I bet if someone actually tried lobbying these countries that they would make it official. But as of now its not and if you want to set up shop there as a DO I'm sure you couldn't. However if you are doing it through MSF then its different. MSF won't take PAs due to licensing issues and will take DOs. So obviously licensing is not a problem as they would likely have agreements.

Also as I said I'm not looking for respect im trying to inform people that DOs are not second class doctors. They are every bit as good as there MD counterparts and are represented well across medicine. They are over represented in primary care which is something DOs are very proud of. That alone should garner respect from the medical community which it does outside of this thread.

Last edited:
I'm going to call a spade a spade. I don't even know this Jones person. If he has a problem with me then let him say that to me. You don't need to talk for anyone but yourself.

Also who said I have a sub 30 MCAT? I never said that. That's funny if you think that's true.

You can say I condratict myself all you want but you never ever give proof to the matter.
lol, okay, Indy. You actually do, though your VR was not bad.

And I put your contradictions in bold, not sure how you missed it. But hey, you have more writings of an inebriated premed, so let's use that:

I post facts. If you don't like that its your problem. I showed the map already and showed DOs can do doctors without borders. You think those poor nations are really going to sit there and make policies on whether DOs can practice (when they have none) when there people are starving? Ha. I bet if someone actually tried lobbying these countries that they would make it official. But as of now its not and if you want to set up shop there as a DO I'm sure you couldn't. However if you are doing it through MSF then its different. MSF won't take PAs due to licensing issues and will take DOs. So obviously licensing is not a problem as they would likely have agreements.
Okay, I bolded this. You see this? Now, either shut the f### up, or show me where I said DOs cannot do Doctors without Borders. There's a difference between being limited and being unable to. If you can't show this simple request, you're a contradictory idiot, and you should concede.

Okay, now, moving to the rest of this, EVERYTHING else you've said is speculation WITHOUT support. Oh, appeal to emotion, those poor countries. Yeah, if you can save a life, of course a country will not stop you - NOT! You have no support for this except that what you THINK is true, but it's not. There are starving and underserved people in places you've never heard of, and even in the US. Again, the title of DO != God who can violate rules of other countries without consequence.

If you really think countries - let's say Spain since it's the only one you're not delusional about - will let you practice medicine because they have underserved areas (and Spain actually does), then where are the DOs? Why are they not running over there in droves? Your speculations are preposterous.

Also as I said I'm not looking for respect im trying to inform people that DOs are second class doctors. They are every bit as good as there MD counterparts and are represented well across medicine. They are over represented in primary care which is something DOs are very proud of. That alone should garner respect from the medical community which it does outside of this thread.
I agree they are 2nd class doctors. They shouldn't be, but they are treated as such. Though, honestly, why there's a different degree created all this headache, so the origins of DOs only have themselves to blame, fragmenting healthcare. I'm glad Allo's are patching it up, though.

Not everyone wants to go neurodermasurgery... family practice, peds, PM&R (the less competitive specialties) are still doctors too. So you're telling me that because an average or below average student who isnt pretentious as ****, doesnt deserve to be or is capable of being a physician? lol way to potentiate that classic SDN sterotype. MCAT and GPA have zero indication of the quality of doctor one will become.

I never said that MCAT and GPA indicate the quality of doctor one will become. Step 1 scores don't indicate the quality of doctor one will become, either.

The reality is that MCAT and GPA are the two main markers that medical schools use for admission, and Step 1 is the main marker that residency uses for selection. Whether or not you believe that does not change the reality. Deserve is also an inappropriate word to use here. Medical schools aren't set up to figure out who deserves to be a physician (whatever that is supposed to mean). As someone else said, their job is to provide society with the best possible physicians, not figure out who deserves it the most.

I also never said that everyone wants to do into neurodermasurgery (whatever that is supposed to be). If someone scores in the 10th percentile on the MCAT, what percentile do you think they'll score on Step 1? If you can't do well enough to be competitive on the MCAT, what makes you think you'll be able to pass when it comes to Step 1?

Reactions: 2 users
This article actually paints a rosier picture of the caribbean, in my opinion, but I think it does a good job of showing that caribbean is not a death sentence, and something one can do when all other options are exhausted. Over osteopathic medicine? In some cases, yes.

Another funny quote from you. HAHAHA. There is no case in which a Caribbean school is better then a DO not one. Not even LUCOM and ST George. (This is saying alot because I HATE lucom and have some respect for ST George).

lol, okay, Indy. You actually do, though your VR was not bad.

And I put your contradictions in bold, not sure how you missed it. But hey, you have more writings of an inebriated premed, so let's use that:

Okay, I bolded this. You see this? Now, either shut the f### up, or show me where I said DOs cannot do Doctors without Borders. There's a difference between being limited and being unable to. If you can't show this simple request, you're a contradictory idiot, and you should concede.

Okay, now, moving to the rest of this, EVERYTHING else you've said is speculation WITHOUT support. Oh, appeal to emotion, those poor countries. Yeah, if you can save a life, of course a country will not stop you - NOT! You have no support for this except that what you THINK is true, but it's not. There are starving and underserved people in places you've never heard of, and even in the US. Again, the title of DO != God who can violate rules of other countries without consequence.

If you really think countries - let's say Spain since it's the only one you're not delusional about - will let you practice medicine because they have underserved areas (and Spain actually does), then where are the DOs? Why are they not running over there in droves? Your speculations are preposterous.

I agree they are 2nd class doctors. They shouldn't be, but they are treated as such. Though, honestly, why there's a different degree created all this headache, so the origins of DOs only have themselves to blame, fragmenting healthcare. I'm glad Allo's are patching it up, though.

What proof do you have there are limitations? Please inform me because I spent the last hour trying to find one and had no sucsess. I tried to prove your point and failed miserably.

Again I agree on spain but thats really all you have.

All check this out if you are so concerned about global medicine:

http://osteopathywithoutborders.com/

A great organization here that I personally would consider joining.

Well, I meant competitive in the sense that their average GPA and MCAT will go up for admissions, not more competitive for residency spots, though I could have been clearer.

Besides that, I agree with all your points.

EDIT: I think people feel attacked, offended, of challenged when I say positives of caribbean schools, when I think they are terrible options overall. If you can't get into a US DO or MD school, time is not on your side, and you want to be a doctor above all else, what would you tell a person to do? Quit? Keep taking courses and MCATs until you are satisfactory to a medical school system that has an imperfect admissions system that MAY never accept you? That's called being a sucker.

That said, I'm a sucker doing so. I'm applying this cycle to MD and DO schools, my nth time around. I've never applied to caribbean and never plan on doing so. I have improved my application in all the ways I was recommended to, with no interviews thus far, when I have had interviews previously.

I know as a DO I will not be able to practice in certain countries, and I want others to make an informed decision to be limited in where they can practice. The majority of people will never care to practice outside of the US, so this word of warning doesn't apply. For those with a more global mindset, it's a serious factor to consider.

You know the first time around when I read this I stopped at the sucker part. While obviously thats a dumb point (carrib med students are suckers) I just caught something else though. So you applied to MD and DO schools how many times? (has to end in nth so tenth? ninth?) You are obviously just bitter. Same thing with smp bound who said carrib better then rural do (judging by his name i'm figuring a DO or MD reject)

Again I came on here to mostly fight you and SMP bound for saying positive things about the Caribbean but now I can see why. Atleast the stuff from people like @Greenberg702 had merit to it. That was factual about DOs having a tougher time matching to more competitive residencies the only thing we disagreed on there was degree (which is tough to quantify).

.7 vs 1.7. That is all

I love it. You said let's not forget I said something and then you quote someone else. Attention to detail is weak. I guess that's why there are so many straw mans going around?

You are either intentionally quoting the wrong person or you are just trolling. This can only lead to one interpretation: ignorance.

I mean come on. If creating massive straw mans aren't enough you have to quote someone else now pretending its me? Fight me on what I'm actually saying doofus.

Early morning, misread. Whoops.

The difference is I can admit when I make a mistake or am wrong.

You can keep pretending to believe whatever you want. At the end of the day, you're still going to be a DO and have to live with the difficulties and biases you choose to ignore/downplay. If you're shooting for primary care, then you're likely be fine. But I worry that some other premedical student will someday read what you write and believe it, and subsequently not understand the gravity of the decision to choose osteopathic medical school.

I never said that MCAT and GPA indicate the quality of doctor one will become. Step 1 scores don't indicate the quality of doctor one will become, either.

The reality is that MCAT and GPA are the two main markers that medical schools use for admission, and Step 1 is the main marker that residency uses for selection. Whether or not you believe that does not change the reality. Deserve is also an inappropriate word to use here. Medical schools aren't set up to figure out who deserves to be a physician (whatever that is supposed to mean). As someone else said, their job is to provide society with the best possible physicians, not figure out who deserves it the most.

I also never said that everyone wants to do into neurodermasurgery (whatever that is supposed to be). If someone scores in the 10th percentile on the MCAT, what percentile do you think they'll score on Step 1? If you can't do well enough to be competitive on the MCAT, what makes you think you'll be able to pass when it comes to Step 1?

I never said MCAT and GPA aren't the main markers, because unfortunately they are. Your point was pretty much without gpa mcat and step 1 scores, you should just go away, and leave medicine alone. You mentioned that its their job to provide society with the best possible physicians, not figure out who deserves(deserve wasnt used in a literal sense....) it the most.

MCAT and GPA don't explicitly shed any light on an individual being capable of practicing medicine, MCAT and GPA pretty much indicate that this person has some basic knowledge about chemistry, biology, physics, and verbal reasoning. Never knew a physician who went looking up kinematic equations or the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium..

The point i'm trying to make is that you're bashing someone for not meeting your inflated standards and applying and hopefully getting into a medical school in the Caribbean as an alternative to some fancy top 20, or even a mid or low tier, or heaven's forbid, a DO program. Maybe the guy just wants an MD/ license and join the peace corps, or practice abroad, who knows? I dont think the kids in ghana will care about the guys MCAT score or if he had over a 250 on his step 1 or the fact that he went to a Caribbean Medical School, which is really the point of this discussion.

Theres really more to life than this little medical rat race you know.. and I dont mean to single you out, 99% of the people on this website share your same... well... narrowed view on "who should and shouldn't be a doctor, because he was bad at multiple guess." Your post was just the first one I came across on this thread, nothing personal.

Last edited:
Another funny quote from you. HAHAHA. There is no case in which a Caribbean school is better then a DO not one. Not even LUCOM and ST George. (This is saying alot because I HATE lucom and have some respect for ST George).
OMG, Spain man, Spain... if you're wrong about "no case," you're probably more wrong than you think.

What proof do you have there are limitations? Please inform me because I spent the last hour trying to find one and had no sucsess. I tried to prove your point and failed miserably.

Again I agree on spain but thats really all you have.
Good lord..., this is getting comical. The burden of proof is on you, Indy, to prove that countries will ignore their own policies and that the AOA is lying about where DOs are allowed to practice. There certainly are a lot of greys in that map you provided, and not just underserved areas...

Do you understand? YOU have to show that DOs are above or immune to the law, not me.

All check this out if you are so concerned about global medicine:

http://osteopathywithoutborders.com/

A great organization here that I personally would consider joining.
Yay?
You know the first time around when I read this I stopped at the sucker part. While obviously thats a dumb point (carrib med students are suckers) I just caught something else though. So you applied to MD and DO schools how many times? (has to end in nth so tenth? ninth?) You are obviously just bitter. Same thing with smp bound who said carrib better then rural do (judging by his name i'm figuring a DO or MD reject)

Again I came on here to mostly fight you and SMP bound for saying positive things about the Caribbean but now I can see why. Atleast the stuff from people like @Greenberg702 had merit to it. That was factual about DOs having a tougher time matching to more competitive residencies the only thing we disagreed on there was degree (which is tough to quantify).
GOLDEN, awww, you just showed your hand, Indy. You are rather ignorant, and surprisingly ignorant of just common knowledge. "nth" is a HIGH SCHOOL mathematics term: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nth

This might explain how you got into BS/DO and not BS/MD. I'm sorry.

But I would like to highlight this (quoted again so you don't somehow miss it):
So you applied to MD and DO schools how many times? (has to end in nth so tenth? ninth?) You are obviously just bitter. Same thing with smp bound who said carrib better then rural do (judging by his name i'm figuring a DO or MD reject)
Do you now realize your ignorance and the absurdity of your "reasoning?" It has to end in nth so tenth? ninth? LOL, you sod. I'm very sorry to say, but I actually was taken off the waitlist of an MD school, something you could never hope to achieve.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure what my superiority to you has to do with the discussion at hand. Please don't go off topic.

Early morning, misread. Whoops.

The difference is I can admit when I make a mistake or am wrong.

You can keep pretending to believe whatever you want. At the end of the day, you're still going to be a DO and have to live with the difficulties and biases you choose to ignore/downplay. If you're shooting for primary care, then you're likely be fine. But I worry that some other premedical student will someday read what you write and believe it, and subsequently not understand the gravity of the decision to choose osteopathic medical school.

Thanks for the admission atleast. I appreciate that. I'll admit to being wrong but I won't admit to something that isn't true. If a future potential DO students reads what I wrote he or she will be going in post merger. I think that person will be just fine and if I dissuaded that person from Caribbean even better.

I never said MCAT and GPA aren't the main markers, because unfortunately they are. Your point was pretty much without gpa mcat and step 1 scores, you should just go away, and leave medicine alone. You mentioned that its their job to provide society with the best possible physicians, not figure out who deserves(deserve wasnt used in a literal sense....) it the most.

MCAT and GPA don't explicitly shed any light on an individual being capable of practicing medicine, MCAT and GPA pretty much indicate that this person has some basic knowledge about chemistry, biology, physics, and verbal reasoning. Never knew a physician who went looking up kinematic equations or the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium..

The point i'm trying to make is that you're bashing someone for not meeting your inflated standards, maybe the guy just wants an MD/ license and join the peace corps. I dont think the kids in ghana will care about the guys MCAT score or if he had over a 250 on his step 1.

Theres really more to life than this little medical rat race you know.. and i dont mean to single you out, 99% of the people on this website share your same... ehh narrowed view on "who should and shouldnt be a doctor, because he was bad at multiple guess." Your post was just the first one I came across on this thread, nothing personal.

There may be more to life than this medical rat race, but we aren't discussing that here. Nor are we discussing if the MCAT or Step 1 are fair evaluation tools. Whether you like it or not, they are the evaluation tools used by medical schools and residencies. They are not "my inflated standards." The guy who wants and MD and a license so he can "help kids in Ghana" may be dismayed to find that he has less than a 30% shot of making it to that goal because of the fact that he or she attended a Caribbean medical school.

Who attends a Caribbean medical school? People with lower MCATS and GPA's. My point, which I've reiterated several times and you still fail to grasp, is that if you have a low MCAT and low GPA, you probably aren't miraculously going to get the killer step 1 score you need simply to MATCH into ANY residency from a Caribbean medical school. Coming out of a Caribbean school, you do need a very high Step 1 score in order to be competitive. You aren't going to use 95% of the material on Step 1 during your medical career, but unfortunately it's whats on the test and that's what residency programs will use to judge you. Caribbean applicants need to have better than average Step 1 scores to be competitive for residency, and the majority of Caribbean students won't achieve that (which probably can be predicted by their poor MCAT scores and poor GPAs).

The idea about there "being more to life" and the rest of your psychobabble is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

OMG, Spain man, Spain... if you're wrong about "no case," you're probably more wrong than you think.

Good lord..., this is getting comical. The burden of proof is on you, Indy, to prove that countries will ignore their own policies and that the AOA is lying about where DOs are allowed to practice. There certainly are a lot of greys in that map you provided, and not just underserved areas...

You know what I just got more proof. Who would of guessed? ME!!! http://www.ohio.edu/news/02-03/110.htmlx Ready to admit your wrong? The reasoning is that when you practice medicine in a third world country you don't need a license. MDs don't get one either. They aren't there forever they are just there for humanitarian relief. This DO helped out in Uganda, Rwanda, Zaire and Somalia. All grey countries. Sorry man your wrong.

Congrats on that MD acceptance BTW. (awfully strange you got pulled off in the last day.) (Are we talking carribean? That would explain alot.)

You know what I just got more proof. Who would of guessed? ME!!! http://www.ohio.edu/news/02-03/110.htmlx Ready to admit your wrong? The reasoning is that when you practice medicine in a third world country you don't need a license. MDs don't get one either. They aren't there forever they are just there for humanitarian relief. This DO helped out in Uganda, Rwanda, Zaire and Somalia. All grey countries. Sorry man your wrong.

Congrats on that MD acceptance BTW. (awfully strange you got pulled off in the last day.) (Are we talking carribean? That would explain alot.)
LMAO! Wake up! All grey countries are not third world countries! Read again and again and again until you get this through your thick skull. And there is something special about the countries you listed, something they share (can you spot it? Or are you too dense?). Can YOU admit your ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL DEMOLISHMENT yet?

And no, a US MD. I said something you could never do, and I know you could get into caribbean. I was on three waitlists, so odds were in my favor.
So you applied to MD and DO schools how many times? (has to end in nth so tenth? ninth?) You are obviously just bitter. Same thing with smp bound who said carrib better then rural do (judging by his name i'm figuring a DO or MD reject)
Please concede this point and admit your logic is quite faulty. We can go from there to recuperate and help you get better at reasoning.

Last edited:
LMAO! Wake up! All grey countries are not third world countries! Read again and again and again until you get this through your thick skull. And there is something special about the countries you listed, something they share (can you spot it? Or are you too dense?). Can YOU admit your ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL DEMOLISHMENT yet?

And no, a US MD. I said something you could never do, and I know you could get into caribbean. I was on three waitlists, so odds were in my favor.

Most of the grey ones are third world. The ones that aren't you can't practice at which I admit to. Spain for example. I have said that a billion times.

Here is the map once again for reference:
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx

And ok bro sure you just got pulled off in the last day.

Most of the grey ones are third world. The ones that aren't you can't practice at which I admit to. Spain for example. I have said that a billion times.

And ok bro sure you just got pulled off in the last day.
Awww, it's cute you refuse to believe, but hey, guess what? I don't care. Like I said, off-topic, and, as I've told you so many times, just because you choose to believe something doesn't make it true (or untrue). You're going to have to come to terms with this eventually, that reality does not bend to your beliefs or ego.

So, are you finally coming around to the painful truth? You're almost there it seems. "Most" of the grey ones are third world (I disagree that third world is synonymous with underserved, but let's ignore this for the sake your potential mental development). What about the others? Should potential DOs forget about those? Should they not be informed of their ability to practice?

Awww, it's cute you refuse to believe, but hey, guess what? I don't care. Like I said, off-topic, and, as I've told you so many times, just because you choose to believe something doesn't make it true (or untrue). You're going to have to come to terms with this eventually, that reality does not bend to your beliefs or ego.

So, are you finally coming around to the painful truth? You're almost there it seems. "Most" of the grey ones are third world (I disagree that third world is synonymous with underserved, but let's ignore this for the sake your potential mental development). What about the others? Should potential DOs forget about those? Should they not be informed of their ability to practice?

So you think the third world countries are rampant with doctors? ARE YOU KIDDING? like for real you can't be serious? what? I'm in shock. Complete shock.

Moving on I admit that countries that are grey and aren't third world countries that you are providing humanitarian relief to you can't practice. However there is very few of those. Spain is one example. If you want to practice in spain go to a medical school there.

So you think the third world countries are rampant with doctors? ARE YOU KIDDING? like for real you can't be serious? what? I'm in shock. Complete shock.
Darn, and here we were, so close to a breakthrough, but you regressed into straw men again. You can't keep hiding behind them, Indy. You need to grow up. I ask you kindly to either show me where I made such a claim, or shut the #### up and learn how to read and reason. If you are so ignorant that you don't know that even 1st-world countries have underserved populations, you should probably leave this thread and learn a little bit more.

Moving on...
Moving on I admit that countries that are grey and aren't third world countries that you are providing humanitarian relief to you can't practice. However there is very few of those. Spain is one example. If you want to practice in spain go to a medical school there.
This is golden, and this was my point. So, I'm glad we made a small breakthrough and found some common ground.

There may be more to life than this medical rat race, but we aren't discussing that here. Nor are we discussing if the MCAT or Step 1 are fair evaluation tools. Whether you like it or not, they are the evaluation tools used by medical schools and residencies. They are not "my inflated standards." The guy who wants and MD and a license so he can "help kids in Ghana" may be dismayed to find that he has less than a 30% shot of making it to that goal because of the fact that he or she attended a Caribbean medical school.

Who attends a Caribbean medical school? People with lower MCATS and GPA's. My point, which I've reiterated several times and you still fail to grasp, is that if you have a low MCAT and low GPA, you probably aren't miraculously going to get the killer step 1 score you need simply to MATCH into ANY residency from a Caribbean medical school. Coming out of a Caribbean school, you do need a very high Step 1 score in order to be competitive. You aren't going to use 95% of the material on Step 1 during your medical career, but unfortunately it's whats on the test and that's what residency programs will use to judge you. Caribbean applicants need to have better than average Step 1 scores to be competitive for residency, and the majority of Caribbean students won't achieve that (which probably can be predicted by their poor MCAT scores and poor GPAs).

The idea about there "being more to life" and the rest of your psychobabble is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Like everyone else on this website you perpetuate the notion that because you attend a caribbean med school you wont match anywhere, which isn't really 100% factual. The point of my neruodermasurgey comment previously is that if you were to apply to a caribbean program, you can kiss any chance of matching into a competitive field GOODBYE. Which isnt the end of the world for many people. However if you are hellbent on matching ortho or derm or whatever other competitive field there is, St. George isnt for you lol. But if you're cool with being a GP or pursuing a career in one of the less competitive fields theres really nothing wrong with a good caribbean program, a notion in which you just refuse to concede.

Darn, and here we were, so close to a breakthrough, but you regressed into straw men again. You can't keep hiding behind them, Indy. You need to grow up. I ask you kindly to either show me where I made such a claim, or shut the #### up and learn how to read and reason. If you are so ignorant that you don't know that even 1st-world countries have underserved populations, you should probably leave this thread and learn a little bit more.

Moving on...

This is golden, and this was my point. So, I'm glad we made a small breakthrough and found some common ground.

Straw man? nope. quote: "I disagree that third world is synonymous with underserved."

You're point (I think) that DOs are limited in Doctors without borders. I pointed that out to not be the case. And now you are backpedaling. Nice try. I admitted the whole time a DO can't practice in spain and you know that. My point is that DOs can help people in third world countries through MSF even if that third world is grey. You denied that over and over again.

Like everyone else on this website you perpetuate the notion that because you attend a caribbean med school you wont match anywhere, which isn't really 100% factual. The point of my neruodermasurgey comment previously is that if you were to apply to a caribbean program, you can kiss any chance of matching into a competitive field GOODBYE. Which isnt the end of the world for many people. However if you are hellbent on matching ortho or derm or whatever other competitive field there is, St. George isnt for you lol. But if you're cool with being a GP or pursuing a career in one of the less competitive fields theres really nothing wrong with a good caribbean program, a notion in which you just refuse to concede.

Yes there are problems due to the extremely low match rates and high attrition rates. You're gambling 250k. You will have trouble even with less competitive fields.

Straw man? nope. quote: "I disagree that third world is synonymous with underserved."
Okay, so you quoted, but how do you get this out of that?
Like your "nth" logic, there's no relationship between your conclusion and my statement. This is not backpedaling, this is you creating a straw man.
Either you're senile, or you're an idiot. Either way, you don't deserve to be an MD.

You're point (I think) that DOs are limited in Doctors without borders. I pointed that out to not be the case. And now you are backpedaling. Nice try. I admitted the whole time a DO can't practice in spain and you know that. My point is that DOs can help people in third world countries through MSF even if that third world is grey. You denied that over and over again.
As we've established (for the nth time, lol), your ability to think is already in question. There's no backpedaling. I DARE you to find, in all my history of posting, where I said DOs cannot serve in underserved areas. Otherwise, you owe it to your last remaining shred of dignity to stop.

I think you also need to look up what backpedaling means, because I've been saying the same thing the whole time. It looked like you got it the previous post, but alas, you're senility seems to have hit hard.

Okay, so you quoted, but how do you get this out of that?
Like your "nth" logic, there's no relationship between your conclusion and my statement. This is not backpedaling, this is you creating a straw man.
Either you're senile, or you're an idiot. Either way, you don't deserve to be an MD.

As we've established (for the nth time, lol), your ability to think is already in question. There's no backpedaling. I DARE you to find, in all my history of posting, where I said DOs cannot serve in underserved areas. Otherwise, you owe it to your last remaining shred of dignity to stop.

I think you also need to look up what backpedaling means, because I've been saying the same thing the whole time. It looked like you got it the previous post, but alas, you're senility seems to have hit hard.

If third world countries aren't underserved you would think they would have plenty of doctors? I understand this might be confusing to you. Better put on your thinking cap.

I also didn't say that you said that DOs can't practice in underserved areas. I said that you said that DOs can't practice in third world countries that are grey. Which isn't true when doing humanitarian stuff like MSF.

False.

Competitive specialities are already out of the question if you attend a Caribbean school, that's not even debatable.

The match rate is less than 30% for Caribbean schools, and as I mentioned before, many of those who do match end up in dead end prelim spots. Matching from a Caribbean school is only going to get more difficult as enrollment for allopathic and especially osteopathic schools increases while residency spots stay the same. This has already been pointed out by multiple posters so perhaps you should go back and read through this thread again.

So as it stands now, you have over a 70% chance of spending anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000 and receiving absolutely nothing from it. The odds will only be worse in the future. As Doc Synthesis said, not a good gamble.

Reactions: 1 users
If third world countries aren't underserved you would think they would have plenty of doctors? I understand this might be confusing to you. Better put on your thinking cap.

I also didn't say that you said that DOs can't practice in underserved areas. I said that you said that DOs can't practice in third world countries that are grey. Which isn't true when doing humanitarian stuff like MSF.
But no one said third world countries aren't underserved. Who said that? Tell me, I'd like to know which voice in your head said so. I recall saying underserved and third world do not mean the same thing, so your flipping between the two changes the meaning and suggests you don't understand what you're saying, but that's it. I never said third world means a richness of doctors.

If you sincerely think third world and underserved are the same thing, I have a couple of places in the US that are going to be pretty offended with you. I know this is difficult to process, but do think it over, Indy.

I said DOs have restrictions where they can practice, you provided the map, which is by the AOA. I'm not surprised some former-colonies welcome DOs, but that doesn't change my thesis that DOs have more restrictions on where they can practice than Caribbean MDs (provided residencies are secured).

False.

Competitive specialities are already out of the question if you attend a Caribbean school, that's not even debatable.

The match rate is less than 30% for Caribbean schools, and as I mentioned before, many of those who do match end up in dead end prelim spots. Matching from a Caribbean school is only going to get more difficult as enrollment for allopathic and especially osteopathic schools increases while residency spots stay the same. This has already been pointed out by multiple posters so perhaps you should go back and read through this thread again.

So as it stands now, you have over a 70% chance of spending anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000 and receiving absolutely nothing from it. The odds will only be worse in the future. As Doc Synthesis said, not a good gamble.

YepYep.

As someone who name is docsynthesis I would not recommend to do this reaction through the Caribbean. (pre med --->carribean ----->doctor = bad idea)

Reactions: 1 users
But no one said third world countries aren't underserved. Who said that? Tell me, I'd like to know which voice in your head said so. I recall saying underserved and third world do not mean the same thing, so your flipping between the two changes the meaning and suggests you don't understand what you're saying, but that's it. I never said third world means a richness of doctors.

If you sincerely think third world and underserved are the same thing, I have a couple of places in the US that are going to be pretty offended with you. I know this is difficult to process, but do think it over, Indy.

I said DOs have restrictions where they can practice, you provided the map, which is by the AOA. I'm not surprised some former-colonies welcome DOs, but that doesn't change my thesis that DOs have more restrictions on where they can practice than Caribbean MDs (provided residencies are secured).

Being third world leads a country to be underserved. One leads to another. I never said underserved means you're third world. I said saying you are third world means you are underserved.

A --> B doesn't mean B ---> A

And that provided residencies are secured is hilarious. That isn't likely coming from Caribbean so why would you just provide that?

Moving on are you ready to admit that a DO and MD practicing in Doctors without Borders is the same thing or no?

Last edited:
False.

Its the same gamble as applying to med school?? You could spend the same amount of money on a bio degree and get zero acceptances, now what?? Caribbean is an option.

Not matching is not equivalent to wasting 4 years on an MD. You could apply for a research fellowship, or a TY, you could even grab an MBA or MPH. These are all options, however not as ideal as matching. If people are willing to spend 250k or more to become a doctor, those options shouldnt be a deterrent if thats the only thing from stopping them.

Its the same gamble as applying to med school?? You could spend the same amount of money on a bio degree and get zero acceptances, now what?? Caribbean is an option.

Not matching is not equivalent to wasting 4 years on an MD. You could apply for a research fellowship, or a TY, you could even grab an MBA or MPH. These are all options, however not as ideal as matching. If people are willing to spend 250k or more to become a doctor, those options shouldnt be a deterrent if thats the only thing from stopping them.

What you're saying doesn't make sense at all.

Not matching is a complete waste of time, as you won't be able to practice medicine in the US.

You can do a research fellowship without an MD, or you can do a PhD. You can do an MBA or an MPH without an MD as well, so I don't understand why that's relevant. Also, if you're willing to spend enough money, you should be become a doctor? That's probably the most ridiculous thing you've posted yet. The Caribbean is an absolute horrible option, as many on this thread have commented. All the statistics are on my side, so your argument is based off nothing more than a biased opinion.

Clearly you plan on attending a Caribbean school, or may already attend one.

Either that or your just another pre-med who has absolutely no clue what he's talking about it.

Reactions: 3 users
What you're saying doesn't make sense at all.

Not matching is a complete waste of time, as you won't be able to practice medicine in the US.

You can do a research fellowship without an MD, or you can do a PhD. You can do an MBA or an MPH without an MD as well, so I don't understand why that's relevant. Also, if you're willing to spend enough money, you should be become a doctor? That's probably the most ridiculous thing you've posted yet. The Caribbean is an absolute horrible option, as many on this thread have commented. All the statistics are on my side, so your argument is based off nothing more than a biased opnion.

Clearly you plan on attending a Caribbean school, or may already attend one.

Either that or your just another pre-med who has absolutely no clue what he's talking about it.

Yeesh I just can't believe people who are so dead set on Carribean. I have family members who did it. It was easier back then and they still had problems. Now they are fine but still. Terrible idea.

The carribean medical students anthem:

Status
Not open for further replies.