New York University Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTisREHABulous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was just accepted to NYU via email a few hours ago. I was just wondering if anyone else has been accepted and is definitely going?

This was my number one school and I wanted to see if anyone has accepted admission yet and has any tips for moving to NYC. I've never went away to school, i've always commuted some im a little in the dark here. lol

Also, have you guys heard anything about financial aid?

Thanks so much.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I was just accepted to NYU via email a few hours ago. I was just wondering if anyone else has been accepted and is definitely going?

This was my number one school and I wanted to see if anyone has accepted admission yet and has any tips for moving to NYC. I've never went away to school, i've always commuted some im a little in the dark here. lol

Thanks so much.

Hey OTisREHABulous!

I got in to NYU last week! I'm like 95% sure I'm going and I'm super excited =) I am from Florida and it's a big move for me too, but I have lots of friends there and I LOVE the city.

As for Financial Aid, the tuition is super expensive. Make sure you fill out the FASFA asap and they said they would give you your aid package by mid March, I believe!

Personal Message me if you want to talk. SOOOO excited to meet someone in my cohort! =)

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much.

Congrats!! I was accepted in February and I am definitely going! I'm so excited and nervous! (It's crazy but I chose NYU over Downstate.)

Where are you moving from if you don't mind me asking? Do a lot of research before you decide on where to live if you're not residing on campus. Living can be very expensive in Manhattan, so be sure to check out other boroughs and find safe neighborhoods to live in.

I haven't heard back about financial aid yet but I'm pretty sure I'll have to take out private loans to cover tuition.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I was accepted in February and I am definitely going! I'm so excited and nervous! (It's crazy but I chose NYU over Downstate.)

Where are you moving from if you don't mind me asking? Do a lot of research before you decide on where to live if you're not residing on campus. Living can be very expensive in Manhattan, so be sure to check out other boroughs and find safe neighborhoods to live in.

I haven't heard back about financial aid yet but I'm pretty sure I'll have to take out private loans to cover tuition.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! :)
DolceLilac,
Hello as well, soon to be classmate! Can I ask if you're from the area?

I got into NYU but can't afford to go ='''((

I have been crunching numbers since I've gotten my acceptance! I haven't yet figured out how I can afford it. It's really discouraging.

Also I'm from the Philadelphia area!

I just heard back from NYU and was accepted. Super excited. Have you guys received anything yet in terms of financial aid?

Hii FlipFlops!! Yep, I'm a New Yorker! :D
Awesome! I'm excited to have some classmates that know the city! I'm familiar enough, but I'm still at tourist level...sigh. Where are you looking to live? Washington Square area or just East Village in general?

I just heard back from NYU and was accepted. Super excited. Have you guys received anything yet in terms of financial aid?
Congrats vigilantcitizen!
I'm still waiting on financial aid too =( They said sometime in mid-March I think, just make sure your FAFSA is turned in and went through...

Awesome! I'm excited to have some classmates that know the city! I'm familiar enough, but I'm still at tourist level...sigh. Where are you looking to live? Washington Square area or just East Village in general?

I'm excited to meet my future classmates from SDN! :D. Don't worry, you'll get very familiar with the city soon! I'm going to stay with my parents in Hoboken, New Jersey - only 2 train stops from NYU area. Do you plan on finding an apartment or living on campus?

I'm excited to meet my future classmates from SDN! :D. Don't worry, you'll get very familiar with the city soon! I'm going to stay with my parents in Hoboken, New Jersey - only 2 train stops from NYU area. Do you plan on finding an apartment or living on campus?
I totally agree! One day we can all be like REVEAL YOURSELF! And it will be really fun to meet everyone in person!

I was told on campus housing was impossible, though I did sign up for it. I have already planned to live with one of my really good friends in an apartment as close to campus as possible, but still keeping in mind the price. I was originally gonna try and see if I could live with people from the program but I figured that 40 hours a week would be enough bonding and living together might get a little crazy. I hope people are amenable to study sessions at the library or someone's place!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone!

You all seem dead set on going to NYU. Im just curious, what is it about NYU specifically that makes you know that it is the school for you? Can you tell me some of the reasons you have for NYU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!

You all seem dead set on going to NYU. Im just curious, what is it about NYU specifically that makes you know that it is the school for you? Can you tell me some of the reasons you have for NYU?
Hey DiggaDigga,

It's kind of hard for me to explain, but it's more of a feeling of certainty in a world of craziness more than anything else. There are some specifics though:

1) Their curriculum is fantastic and organized in such a way that I know is tried and true. It is also very well balanced and the three classes I'm most scared for (neuro, kines, and gross) are split up evenly and very well. I feel like all my needs as a student will be addressed before I even have a problem.
2) Compared to a school like Columbia (to which I also applied), NYU is smack in the middle of the city. I want a true city experience and you can't get a better one than NYU. If you got the video in your email from the Dean, the experience she describes is exactly what I looked for in a school and even before that video I knew NYU was the place for that.
3) Networking experiences.

Like I said, overall, it's the amazing feeling I get! Hope that helps!

I totally agree! One day we can all be like REVEAL YOURSELF! And it will be really fun to meet everyone in person!

I was told on campus housing was impossible, though I did sign up for it. I have already planned to live with one of my really good friends in an apartment as close to campus as possible, but still keeping in mind the price. I was originally gonna try and see if I could live with people from the program but I figured that 40 hours a week would be enough bonding and living together might get a little crazy. I hope people are amenable to study sessions at the library or someone's place!

Lol how should we reveal ourselves?

It's really great that you have a plan! I'm already picturing myself sleeping in the library haha.

Congrats everyone!

1. Prestige & Networking - I can work outside of NY if I'd like.
2. Location - it's in an amazing area.
3. Hospitals - I'm currently volunteering at the Hospital for Joint Diseases and I love the facility and the people are fantastic. Ranked #8 for rehabilitation in the US and #1 in NY.

And this last point is silly but, since I'm only going to live once, I want to go to my dream school :).

Lol how should we reveal ourselves?

It's really great that you have a plan! I'm already picturing myself sleeping in the library haha.

1. Prestige & Networking - I can work outside of NY if I'd like.
2. Location - it's in an amazing area.
3. Hospitals - I'm currently volunteering at the Hospital for Joint Diseases and I love the facility and the people are fantastic. Ranked #8 for rehabilitation in the US and #1 in NY.

And this last point is silly but, since I'm only going to live once, I want to go to my dream school :).
I don't know exactly how we should reveal ourselves but I think it should be after a few weeks when we've already gotten to know each other. I think that would make it extra funny because we and the class will have already (hopefully) become friends and then to be like "Hey, I bet you're DolceLilac" and probably be wrong. I have no idea. To be honest, I'm a pretty curios person, so I probably will just ask on the first day. But then again I have no idea.

As for my plan: survive. NYU is my dream school too and that's why I'm going here and so I'm learning as I go. Sleeping in the library? I will have a couch. I'm sure if we pull all-nighters no one is gonna make you go back to Jersey at 3 AM when we have to be in class at 9... We are a team now that we're in the program and that's what I love about every single OT school I've visited. It isn't a competition and we all help each other. So my plan is to do my best and help anyone I can in the process for two reasons: 1) I'm a nice person who enjoys helping people and 2) I know I'll probably need help at some point too.

I think part of being a professional is realizing that rehabilitation is in some ways a team effort and I hope our class sees this too. That's not to say it's your job to tutor me, but a little extra helping me in a subject I'm not so great at is good karma for when you need help later and I know the material really well. People who go into this field generally have big hearts and want others to succeed (if you don't, why do OT?) so I see my "plan" as finding a way to make the nest 2 and a half years fun, while trying not to have a nervous breakdown =)

Thank you DolceLilac and FlipFlops. You guys are helping me make my decision.

I volunteered at Rusk awhile back and I remember loving everyone who worked there. Do you know if we would get to do things in the hospital? I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression that the hospitals, while connected to the department, were separate from what we would actually be doing (fieldworks primarily being at different places).

This is one of the things that I love about OT school. Everyone is so nice and genuinely wants to help other people. The camaraderie that you see is so special and definitly something that you don't get to experience everywhere. I am coming from a noncompetitive major at a competitive university, and it always amazes me to find people who just want to help others.

Thank you DolceLilac and FlipFlops. You guys are helping me make my decision.

I volunteered at Rusk awhile back and I remember loving everyone who worked there. Do you know if we would get to do things in the hospital? I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression that the hospitals, while connected to the department, were separate from what we would actually be doing (fieldworks primarily being at different places).

This is one of the things that I love about OT school. Everyone is so nice and genuinely wants to help other people. The camaraderie that you see is so special and definitly something that you don't get to experience everywhere. I am coming from a noncompetitive major at a competitive university, and it always amazes me to find people who just want to help others.
No problemo DiggaDigga!

I'm coming from a competitive major at a pretty much noncompetitive university (my major had 36 people but we were all super close). I'm not familiar with Rusk (I'm from Florida), but I do know that from what I was explicitly told, there is observation and even some fieldwork in the first semester, which I love because I'm a very hands-on and service oriented person. It was great emailing with the student ambassador because she really helped me make my decision by answering all of my questions and easing my concerns. That was one of the questions I had for her. I don't know where we get to do it, but I do know that's what she told me. I mean Fieldwork is usually out in the community (if you haven't watched the hour long video on the website, I strongly recommend it!) but you never know!

As for the camaraderie, the way I see this is we're all in this together. It's not like we will be hard pressed to find jobs out of school. We aren't competing to be Valedictorian. We all want the same thing: to be an Occupational Therapist and help people, whether in a clinic or by doing research. My dad always told me that helping people starts at home and NYU OT is going to be my new family so I have no problem making my next 2.5 years a group effort when necessary. I am certain there will be a lot less stress and a lot more laughs that way!

Rusk is NYU's rehab hospital

I know that there is fieldwork, which is something that I am really looking forward to. I guess I phrased my question wrong. Do you know how much fieldwork will be done in NYU's hospitals. Most fieldwork, from what I gather is done in various places throughout the city and surrounding neighborhoods--not NYU hospitals. And I am sure that NYU's affiliate OT sites are that much different than the OT sites for other schools in the city (I used to work as an aide at a clinic that did fieldwork Is for NYU. They also did fieldwork Is for 4 other NYC schools). I am asking how much interaction we will have with their actual hospitals. I think that their hospitals are first class, but if that is going to be a factor in my decision I want to make sure that I would actually be spending a nontrivial amount of time in them.

I haven't watched the video on their website, but I went to an info session for them in the summer and I think that its the same talk.

Congrats everyone!

Hey Digga Digga,

Honestly, NYU is amazing. The opportunities are endless. I loveee the curriculum and how major classes are separated throughout different semesters. Also, NYU has affiliates with hospitals throughout the country..which opens up fieldwork options. Plus, it's NEW YORK CITY! I'm from Philadelphia and go up to New York more than I probably go to downtown Philly. I love the area and cannot get enough of it and NYU is ranked among the top OT schools in the US. All in all it's a great program and an amazing opportunity.:)

First day of class...i'll probably just introduce myself with my SDN name. Of course not everyone will get it..but whatever. lol

As for studying at people's places..i'm all for it. And i'm already volunteering my apartment for study sessions. Of course, I have to find one first..but hey...NYC is a big place...how hard can it be? ahahha.

Rusk is NYU's rehab hospital

I know that there is fieldwork, which is something that I am really looking forward to. I guess I phrased my question wrong. Do you know how much fieldwork will be done in NYU's hospitals. Most fieldwork, from what I gather is done in various places throughout the city and surrounding neighborhoods--not NYU hospitals. And I am sure that NYU's affiliate OT sites are that much different than the OT sites for other schools in the city (I used to work as an aide at a clinic that did fieldwork Is for NYU. They also did fieldwork Is for 4 other NYC schools). I am asking how much interaction we will have with their actual hospitals. I think that their hospitals are first class, but if that is going to be a factor in my decision I want to make sure that I would actually be spending a nontrivial amount of time in them.

I haven't watched the video on their website, but I went to an info session for them in the summer and I think that its the same talk.
DiggaDigga,

I'm honestly not sure. I know you have quite a bit of say in where you go. If you went to an info session you should be good. I know they talked about it in the video though. I'm sure if you were die hard about a place or it being specifically Rusk you could talk to someone. My best suggestion would be to call the department and ask them!

First day of class...i'll probably just introduce myself with my SDN name. Of course not everyone will get it..but whatever. lol

As for studying at people's places..i'm all for it. And i'm already volunteering my apartment for study sessions. Of course, I have to find one first..but hey...NYC is a big place...how hard can it be? ahahha.
OTisREHABulous,

You and I are going to get along really well. I'm pretty spontaneous and wacky (though very much dedicated to my work). I can totally see myself during roll asking the Professor to call me FlipFlops. Sort of.

Yay for study sessions and no sleep! Where are you looking to live? You seem pretty familiar with the city. I'm still only slightly better than a tourist...haha

Hey Guys!

So, I'm new to replying to this forum, but I've been reading these threads throughout the painful application process. Anyway, I finally just decided to register so I can reply to you all! I just got accepted into NYU also! I'm so excited, and I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go, but the tuition cost is through the roof...bummer!!

So, I'm not from the east coast at all, and sadly I've never been to New York, but I have ALWAYS wanted to live in the city, so here's my chance to do it all! I have so many questions, but to the locals, can you suggest anything for housing? I don't even know where to begin looking, because I'm so unfamiliar with the area. And also, as much as I wish, I don't have an unlimited budget, so I'm trying to find a area that's relatively safe and not going to cost me an arm and a leg to live in. Any suggestions?? And to everyone else, are you guys applying for the Campus Housing, or is it like...such a low chance of getting housing that you're not even going to try? I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks so much! It's been a relief finding this forum and staying (sort of) on track :))

Hey Guys!

So, I'm new to replying to this forum, but I've been reading these threads throughout the painful application process. Anyway, I finally just decided to register so I can reply to you all! I just got accepted into NYU also! I'm so excited, and I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go, but the tuition cost is through the roof...bummer!!

So, I'm not from the east coast at all, and sadly I've never been to New York, but I have ALWAYS wanted to live in the city, so here's my chance to do it all! I have so many questions, but to the locals, can you suggest anything for housing? I don't even know where to begin looking, because I'm so unfamiliar with the area. And also, as much as I wish, I don't have an unlimited budget, so I'm trying to find a area that's relatively safe and not going to cost me an arm and a leg to live in. Any suggestions?? And to everyone else, are you guys applying for the Campus Housing, or is it like...such a low chance of getting housing that you're not even going to try? I would really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks so much! It's been a relief finding this forum and staying (sort of) on track :))

If you're on a budget don't even think of living in a decent area in the city. You can look in Brooklyn or Queens. I live in Astoria (Queens) and you can find a place with roommates for $600-700/month (each roommate) for a good size apartment. I'm about 30-40 min by subway to NYU and the area is safe. Check www.spotcrime.com to check out areas that are safe. I recommend that site to see crimes in the areas you are planning to move/look.

I recommend looking in Astoria also. A few of my friends live there, and it's a good area. You'll get a lot more for your money, and your commute to NYU won't be long at all.

OTisREHABulous,

You and I are going to get along really well. I'm pretty spontaneous and wacky (though very much dedicated to my work). I can totally see myself during roll asking the Professor to call me FlipFlops. Sort of.

Yay for study sessions and no sleep! Where are you looking to live? You seem pretty familiar with the city. I'm still only slightly better than a tourist...haha

I'm familiar to an extent. I don't know the city like the back of my hand..but I know it enough to get me started. Plus, after 2.5 years there..you definitely will be slightly better than a tourist.

I'm really looking all over. Whether it's NJ or somewhere in Manhattan. I don't mind commuting as long as the price is right. I'm still waiting to hear from financial aid..so once I hear back..I know what i'll be up against with finances..and i'll have a better picture with where I can afford to live. Plus, I'm really hoping to find a roommate or two through the program. Ideally, I would LOVEEE to live in East Village or Lower East Side. But, we will see what happens. How about you? Do you know where your living yet?

I wouldn't recommend NJ if you plan I studying a lot with others and stay late. I used to live in Nj and while he commute was only 15minutes without traffic, it was a pain when I came home late. Buses don't run as often and depending on traffic might take longer. And if you want to take a cab it will cost you a lot of money. If you live in the city, Brooklyn or queens you would definitely have a better commute.

I wouldn't recommend NJ if you plan I studying a lot with others and stay late. I used to live in Nj and while he commute was only 15minutes without traffic, it was a pain when I came home late. Buses don't run as often and depending on traffic might take longer. And if you want to take a cab it will cost you a lot of money. If you live in the city, Brooklyn or queens you would definitely have a better commute.

Hey! Thanks for the info Karine. I never really thought about living in Queens or Brooklyn. Mainly because I know absolutely nothing about the areas. But, i'll definitely take a look since you are recommending them. Thanks!

Look at www.spotcrime.com before you decide on a specific area. I live in Astoria (by steinway and astoria boulevardd) so I can definitely recommend this neighborhood.

I'm familiar to an extent. I don't know the city like the back of my hand..but I know it enough to get me started. Plus, after 2.5 years there..you definitely will be slightly better than a tourist.

I'm really looking all over. Whether it's NJ or somewhere in Manhattan. I don't mind commuting as long as the price is right. I'm still waiting to hear from financial aid..so once I hear back..I know what i'll be up against with finances..and i'll have a better picture with where I can afford to live. Plus, I'm really hoping to find a roommate or two through the program. Ideally, I would LOVEEE to live in East Village or Lower East Side. But, we will see what happens. How about you? Do you know where your living yet?
OTisREHABulous,

I'm pretty sure I'm living with a friend (unrelated to OT) and we're looking in the East Village, preferable close to Washington Square. I know NYU OT tries to connect people in the program with roommates, so I hope everyone is able to find someone. PM me if you want, and I will be happy to be more specific =)

If you're on a budget don't even think of living in a decent area in the city. You can look in Brooklyn or Queens. I live in Astoria (Queens) and you can find a place with roommates for $600-700/month (each roommate) for a good size apartment. I'm about 30-40 min by subway to NYU and the area is safe. Check www.spotcrime.com to check out areas that are safe. I recommend that site to see crimes in the areas you are planning to move/look.

Karine,
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll definitely look there! And the website is really helpful! Thanks.

I recommend looking in Astoria also. A few of my friends live there, and it's a good area. You'll get a lot more for your money, and your commute to NYU won't be long at all.

Hey! Skier85, I'm looking into Astoria, thanks so much for the suggestion!

Hello everyone!

I have been another accepted student. I have not decided on where I will be going, but I've been trying to look at some things, and is it just me, or is NYU's program longer than others? Its 3 years?

Does anyone have a rough estimate about how much everything will cost with the university fees?

I'd love to go to NYU, but its so expensive!

Hello everyone!

I have been another accepted student. I have not decided on where I will be going, but I've been trying to look at some things, and is it just me, or is NYU's program longer than others? Its 3 years?

Does anyone have a rough estimate about how much everything will cost with the university fees?

Hi vmi,

Congrats on being accepted!

I don't know where you got that information, but NYU's MOT program is 2 years plus 6 months fieldwork for a grand total of 2 and a half years. That's pretty much the norm with schools. Some schools will do it in two, but most programs are 2 years and 6 months field work, just like NYU.

University tuition (not counting fees, books, living expenses, or the inevitable tuition hikes) come out to about $92,000 for the whole program. For me personally, I think it will be worth it no matter how many loans I have to take out.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions! I researched NYU very thoroughly before making my decision. =)

Flipflops- how did you find that number? When I calculate I find it to be about $118,000 for the whole program. I might have calculated fees but I can't remember. Also, do you know if you pay tuition during fieldwork?

Hi!

I was wait listed for NYU. Does anybody know what date NYU gave for those accepted by which a deposit must be in?

Thanks!

Thank you. It is close to $100,000 total so definitely less than I calculated. I wasn't going to apply to NYU because of their price but I might in case they do offer financial aid.

skchb,
Those are pretty much the numbers I crunched.

Hoping4OT,
I had until 3 weeks after the date on my acceptance letter but when I called, they said that they extended it until April 18 or something. There is a reception April 17 for the new class, so perhaps they are trying to give people until after that to decide.

Karine,
Those links above are pretty accurate. You do pay for fieldwork but it's only 6 credits total for 6 months so it's the cheapest part. With fees, it is probably closer to $100K, but I mean who are we kidding...it's NYU and well worth the cost! And they do consider you for financial aid. A lot of other schools don't. (Temple literally had NO money. They offered me loans and that was it.)

FlipFlops- I actually applied to Temple a few years back for undergrad and you're right they have no money at all. They were the only school out of the 8 I applied to who didn't even give a penny. I'm still considering NYU but I'd love to hear what people think of the program the first couple of months. The only thing for me I don't like about NYU is location. I did my undergrad in a city and I hated the fact that we had no campus whatsoever. NYU campus is buildings in the middle of other non-NYU buildings. Some people love it though- just not my thing.

FlipFlops- I actually applied to Temple a few years back for undergrad and you're right they have no money at all. They were the only school out of the 8 I applied to who didn't even give a penny. I'm still considering NYU but I'd love to hear what people think of the program the first couple of months. The only thing for me I don't like about NYU is location. I did my undergrad in a city and I hated the fact that we had no campus whatsoever. NYU campus is buildings in the middle of other non-NYU buildings. Some people love it though- just not my thing.
That's actually exactly why I love NYU! I want the city experience. I did my undergrad at a campus school with literally gates and arches and I couldn't take the confinement of a small town anymore!

Hello everyone!

Hey VMI,

The cost is over 100k not including living, books and all that other fun stuff.
I'm so dead set on NYU but, id be lying if I said the price didn't bother me.
My undergraduate education didn't even cost that much!
Honestly, I think no matter what school you end up going too...it's going to be expensive.
If your going to pay 100k and pay loans off until your old and gray...you can't have any regrets. It has to be a program or a school that you absolutely love.

For me, i've always wanted to live in NYC and go to a school like NYU. I wouldn't take out 100k or more in loans if it wasnt something i had my heart set on. There are schools practically in my back yard...(i.e. Jefferson..temple..) but i'm not drawn to them like I am NYU. I'm scared out of my mind to take on this kind of debt..but it's well worth it in the end.

Hey! Is anyone sitting in on a class at NYU within the next few weeks!? I just got an email and signed up. It sounds like an awesome opportunity.

skchb,
Those are pretty much the numbers I crunched.

Hoping4OT,
I had until 3 weeks after the date on my acceptance letter but when I called, they said that they extended it until April 18 or something. There is a reception April 17 for the new class, so perhaps they are trying to give people until after that to decide.

Karine,
Those links above are pretty accurate. You do pay for fieldwork but it's only 6 credits total for 6 months so it's the cheapest part. With fees, it is probably closer to $100K, but I mean who are we kidding...it's NYU and well worth the cost! And they do consider you for financial aid. A lot of other schools don't. (Temple literally had NO money. They offered me loans and that was it.)

Thank you so much for the info. Best to you!

Is there anyone out there that has still not heard anything? I feel like so many people have heard and I am getting nervous that I am one of the few that have not!! I have been obsessively checking my email and mailbox everyday and still nothing.

Hey folks, I also have recently been accepted to NYU's occupational therapy program!! I'm looking forward to having classes with you all. Its the college I've always wanted to go to but to be honest, the price does scare me a bit. I'll be looking at paying off loans for the next 25 years but neither the less, i'm very excited to be starting in the fall.

I've heard that most graduate programs don't have an financial aid option but maybe i'm wrong. I'll be looking at any help I can get once I start NYU's ot program, scholorships, grants, anything.

I also got accepted to NYU! I am very excited about attending but I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm still waiting to hear from downstate. If they accept me I don't know what I will end up doing. Advice on that anyone?