Quantcast

New Zealand: Auckland med school MH03

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone here applying to Auckland medical school for 2008?

I'll be submitting my MH03 form this week and I just thought I should start a thread to share some opinions.

I'm looking in particular the field where they ask you to list any achievements that you deem of merit.

I think this information is only gonna be used by the interviewers to ask some personal questions related to experiences in those achievements. I plan to simply list down all the achievements I can remember/discuss (however meager they are).

Still I thought I better play it safe and ask whether you guys have a better strategy for filling out the MH03 form.

jd778877

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are you a NZ citizen? I don't know if that matters, but I had a phone interview for Auckland. I'm a US citizen wanting to emmigrate. Anyway, the questions he asked were just general stuff. Why medicine, why auckland. Have you experienced the bad side of medicine. Have you experienced leadership in medicine? What do you do in your free time?

As for the form, mine I focused on my volunteer work and languages i've learned and I didn't really get to talk about them so much in the interview. It was only about 25 minutes long so didn't get to say too much. If you are a local you probably will have a more thorough one and will have to talk about everything in your form.

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the phone? Lol that's actually pretty cool they're doing that, don't need to worry about shirt and tie with this one, no plane tickets either.

Well I've already sent them the form now so it's a matter of whether they're gonna invite me for an interview.

Just out of curiosity what is the expected range of medical school tuition fees per year? (both public and private)

Alphonsine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone here applying to Auckland medical school for 2008?

I'll be submitting my MH03 form this week and I just thought I should start a thread to share some opinions.

I'm looking in particular the field where they ask you to list any achievements that you deem of merit.

I think this information is only gonna be used by the interviewers to ask some personal questions related to experiences in those achievements. I plan to simply list down all the achievements I can remember/discuss (however meager they are).

Still I thought I better play it safe and ask whether you guys have a better strategy for filling out the MH03 form.

I got rejected already. I had a good GPA (>3.5) from one of the top American Universities and they rejected my application before an interview...And I interviewed at every Australian med school I applied to and had 2 Canadian interviews. So the moral of the story is that this school is hard to get into. They don't even look at the MCAT and I had 35.

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got rejected already. I had a good GPA (>3.5) from one of the top American Universities and they rejected my application before an interview...And I interviewed at every Australian med school I applied to and had 2 Canadian interviews. So the moral of the story is that this school is hard to get into. They don't even look at the MCAT and I had 35.

That's strange. Maybe you didn't get that interview because competition for international spots are extra tight this year? Because I applied once to Auckland med 3 years ago (as a domestic student) and I got an interview back then (I had plain average grades though my UMAT results was good-looking).

Hayden2102

Down Under
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

They probably look more at GPA for the interview stage, and most applicants would have closer to a 7.0 (or what you guys call a 4.0). And Australian and New Zealand universities don't care if you went to a "top" American University, you don't get any special consideration for that.

Alphonsine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
They probably look more at GPA for the interview stage, and most applicants would have closer to a 7.0 (or what you guys call a 4.0). And Australian and New Zealand universities don't care if you went to a "top" American University, you don't get any special consideration for that.

Actually, I don't really care since I got accepted to UQ. Auckland is a nice place but New Zealand is so isolated...

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't really care since I got accepted to UQ. Auckland is a nice place but New Zealand is so isolated...

Don't really wanna admit it but yeah it's probably better that you study in UQ than Auckland :) Especially since you're coming from another country.

Hayden2102

Down Under
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Good for you, Queensland is beautiful, althought Brisbane is probably the worst place in the whole state.

Don't write NZ off though, it's a lovely place and doesn't feel so isolated when you're actually there.

jd778877

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
but as a graduate from auckland, non-NZ non Oz citizen, how would i compete for post grad. training both in NZ and Oz? I know that i have to do a general training post but i'm also interested in specializing.

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
but as a graduate from auckland, non-NZ non Oz citizen, how would i compete for post grad. training both in NZ and Oz? I know that i have to do a general training post but i'm also interested in specializing.

You can probably obtain citizenship by the time you've hit general training can't you?

jd778877

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
but immigration is usually a points system, and without the degree i don't have the points to become a PR, so i think i'll just be on a student visa until then. i think citizenship is a long way away, but probably easier if I want to become a kiwi

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
but immigration is usually a points system, and without the degree i don't have the points to become a PR, so i think i'll just be on a student visa until then. i think citizenship is a long way away, but probably easier if I want to become a kiwi

Sounds like tricky business, but I get the impression that competing as a foreign international in Australasia would be relatively easier compared to other English speaking countries (like US?).

Good luck eh. Are you already set on which uni/country you're heading to?

waterbuffalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm really interested in attending Auckland Med school. How did you all get the applications and information for this school? I'm a US citizen, and I'm starting to think that it's almost impossible to get in!!! Thanks in advance!

jd778877

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i applied for Auckland in febuary and didn't think anything of it. but my MCAT wasn't recent enough for Australian schools. The eventual goal was to just try to take the tests after i finished in the US but then Auckland emails me out of the blue about a phone interview. I did a working holiday in NZ and I studied abroad(read got piss drunk all the time) in Oz 2 years before so I don't know where I want to go. Do you know if Oz/NZ grads are considered equal when applying for post grad training in either country?

JERI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm really interested in attending Auckland Med school. How did you all get the applications and information for this school? I'm a US citizen, and I'm starting to think that it's almost impossible to get in!!! Thanks in advance!

Was there anything you wanted to know but can't find on the official website?

oeldin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
I am going to apply to auckland medical school.
I applied to Bio Med
I would like to know if MEDentry is good practice for the UMAT
if not what is ?
thanks
please write to my email [email protected]

greens

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to let you all know if you haven't found this out already. The new fees for international students entering into the MBChb degree for 2008 has been increased to 53,000NZ. It will then increase every year for entering student by 5%. The 45,000 stated on their website was last years. The government did a big breakdown on the actual cost for one year for any student to study med. and this is what they found. So they raised international fees.

greens

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh and you'll also pay around 450 for medical insurance and a couple hundred for student levy, etc. fees. Not to deter anyone just to let everyone know:oops:

willcandude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess one of the good things about my school (queensland) is that there are no extra fees - all included in the tuition...